Sequoia National Park just before the Creek Fire

norwegianxplorer

Norwegian Xplorer
On my way between Mount Langley and Mount Whitney the days before the Creek Fire broke out, I discovered some of the most beautiful lakes I have ever seen high up in the Miter Basin, I went from the forested meadow in the middle Miter Basin, which was covered in smoke the night before and up to Sky Blue Lake, this is mostly route finding off-trail, stay to the left of the upper waterfall and there are many possible routes. As you round Sky Blue Lake on the left side, you start to climb at the head of the lake and have to go around an impassable sections to the left again, there are occasional cairns and trails every now an then as you turn right again and get up to the beautiful lake that appears to be the upper lake in the basin, its not, but its pretty. Make your way up to a high ridge to the left and scramble up to the most beautiful lake I ever saw, period, it looks somewhat like Grand Prismatic Springs in Yellowstone, this is actually the upper lake in the Miter Basin, but it doesn’t show on some maps. Only about half a mile from here and up the moderate class 2 Crabtree pass. Going down the Crabtree pass on the western side is a different matter entirely, one of the most scary things I have done on a pass is going down the west side of Crabtree Pass. I chose to do some class 3 and 4 scrambling instead of staying with the main route, just to have something solid to hold on to. Going west to east over Crabtree Pass would not have been scary at all since the east side is pretty mellow. From the pass I head down the Crabtree basin, staying to the right of the upper lake and make camp in a beautiful spot over the middle Crabtree Lake, many amazing camp opportunities in this area. Make your way over some high sections to the right of this lake to continue down the basin. Some of this day is a part of the Sierra High Route/Trail, not to be confused with High Sierra Trail. This is a video also takes me all the way down to the PCT through the Crabtree Basin and Crabtree Meadows are to meet some friends that I will summit Mount Whitney with a few days later. This stunning middle part of this trip really blew my mind in so many ways! Enjoy, and if you like off trail amazingness put the Miter Basin on your list!

Sequoia National Park

Rock Creek/Miter basin is pretty nice. Glad you made it before the 2 months of smoke we've had now.

I went North to South over Crabtree Pass at the beginning of August. The colors of the lakes up high in Miter Basin made me want to go swimming, but I chickened out because the water was too cold :)

I went North to South over Crabtree Pass at the beginning of August. The colors of the lakes up high in Miter Basin made me want to go swimming, but I chickened out because the water was too cold :)
It was cold lol, I didnt have time for a swim, should have had an extra day in there

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
norwegianxplorer Mt Whitney Virtual Hike via Horseshoe Meadows & Mt Langley, Sequoia Kings Canyon National Park Backpacking 1
norwegianxplorer Sequoia National Park, Backpacking Mt Silliman area, June 2020 Backpacking 8
D Redwood Mountain Grove (Sequoia National Park) Trip Planning 1
klank Emerald & Pear Lake - Sequoia National Park - August 3-5, 2013 Backpacking 6
Angeles Explorer Camping Trip to Frog Meadow in the Sequoia National Forest Hiking & Camping 4
BryanG Sequoia National Forest - Sierra Nevada, CA Backpacking 5
balzaccom Sequoia NP Hiking & Camping 3
Jammer Sequoia: Upper Kern and Lake South America Backpacking 12
norwegianxplorer Big SEKI loop, Sequoia Kings Canyon Backpacking 1
TheMountainRabbit News Release: Yellowstone National Park increases protection for bears and visitor safety by implementing changes to two bear management areas General Discussion 14
scatman The Gallatin River, Bighorn and Fawn Passes, Yellowstone National Park - September 7, 2023 Backpacking 14
futurafree government shutdown effects on national forests? General Discussion 21
BJett Packrafting the Obed National Wild & Scenic River - Tennessee On The Water 1
fossana New Baaj Nwaavjo I'tah Kukveni National Monument General Discussion 4
J York Fire, Mojave National Preserve. Aug 2023 Resource Discussions 3
Janice Field Trip - Washington Post podcast about national parks General Discussion 0
I Rescue Creek - Yellowstone National Park - June 3, 2023 Backpacking 15
scatman Rescue Creek - Yellowstone National Park - June 3, 2023 Backpacking 56
TractorDoc Cuyahoga Valley National Park (again!) 06/04/2023 Hiking & Camping 6
TractorDoc Cuyahoga Valley National Park 05/28/2023 Hiking & Camping 20
scatman Rescue Creek - Yellowstone National Park Meet Up (Members Only) 19
D Need suggestions -Beaverhead-Deerlodge National forrest, and Phillipsburg, MT Trip Planning 5
Ted California couple killed in Yosemite National Park rockslide identified by park officials General Discussion 0
NorthwestWanderer Backpacking Grand Teton National Park : Fossil Pass,Fox Creek Pass,Indian Lake,Alaska Basin,Hurricane Pass,Ice Floe Lake,& Snowdrift Lake Backpacking 19
fossana New National Monument planned in Southern NV General Discussion 3
canadug Hiker death in Zion National park :( Hiking & Camping 32
F Frontenac National Park, Quebec, Canada Hiking & Camping 2
J Mojave National Preserve Monsoon Aug. 3, 2022 Trip Planning 2
scatman Shoshone Lake Lollipop Loop - Yellowstone National Park - July 24, 2022 Backpacking 63
Absarokanaut Flooding in Yellowstone National Park and Adjacent Areas of Montana Today June 13, 2022 General Discussion 82
Dreamer El Yunque National Forest Hiking & Camping 3
Rockskipper pay-for-bot-scanning services for National Park campsites - interesting comments General Discussion 1
BJett Big South Fork National River & Recreation Area Packraft/Backpack Loop (TN) Backpacking 6
norwegianxplorer 7 days backpacking Breheimen/Glacier Home National Park in Norway Backpacking 2
pstm13 Rocky Mountain National Park Mid June with Kids Trip Planning 7
pstm13 Rocky Mountain National Park Mid June with Kids Trip Planning 0
Rockskipper Application Period Open For 2023 Private River Trips Through Grand Canyon National Park General Discussion 0
norwegianxplorer Backpacking SAREK NATIONAL PARK, Arctic Sweden, Camping Above RAPADALEN delta. Backpacking 7
balzaccom SAR in our national parks Trip Planning 8
S Mentasta Mountains, Wrangell St. Elias National Park and Preserve- family backpack Backpacking 1
Tim Valentine Point Reyes National Seashore December 2021 Hiking & Camping 14
scatman Grizzly Lake - Yellowstone National Park - September - 2022 Meet Up (Members Only) 149
norwegianxplorer Finding Hidden Glacier, 9 days backpacking Jotunheimen National Park Pt3, Norway. Trip Reports 0
P A short hike on the AT in Shenandoah National Park Hiking & Camping 0
norwegianxplorer Highest Mountain in Norway, Galdhøpiggen, the start of a 9 day backpacking trip in Jotunheimen national park Backpacking 0
norwegianxplorer 5 days Backpacking Rondane National Park, Norway Backpacking 3
norwegianxplorer Backpacking Norway, Femundsmarka National Park Pt 3, Grand Scandinavian Hiking & Backpacking Tour Ep4 Backpacking 0
scatman Gneiss Creek Part 2 - Yellowstone National Park - September 18, 2021 Hiking & Camping 0
norwegianxplorer Backpacking Rogen Nature Reserve, Sweden & Femundsmarka National Park, Norway Pt2 Backpacking 2
scatman Hayden Valley Loop - Yellowstone National Park - September 17, 2021 Hiking & Camping 34