Sawtooths - Vernon, Ardeth, and Spangle Lakes

Parma

@parma26
July 16-20, 2015
A buddy of mine wanted to experience the goodness that is the Sawtooth Mountains in Idaho. So we found a good route that would be scenic and have some good lakes for fishing. He brought his two sons and I brought my younger brother. We drove up from Utah Wednesday after work and stayed the first night in a hotel in Twin Falls. In the morning we had to take a look at the Perrine Bridge. Yep, that same canyon ole Evel Knievel tried to jump back in 1974 on the X2 Skycycle...spoiler alert...he didn't make it.
IMG_5502.JPG

On the drive from Twin Falls to the Sawtooths we passed thru Shoshone, ID that allegedly has the "World's Widest Main Street"...I'm not convinced.
IMG_5503.JPG

We started at Yellow Belly TH with the intention to stay the first night at Edna Lake, about 9.3 miles. The trails are great and very easy to follow.
IMG_5512.JPG

First stop was Farley Lake, only 3 miles up the trail, a great spot for a break.
IMG_5530.JPG

We then turned off the Alice/Toxaway Loop and headed up toward Edith Lake. From the turnoff you can start to see the White Clouds in the distance.
IMG_5534.JPG

Here's Edith Lake...and it like most lakes in the Sawtooths, is crystal clear water.
IMG_5552.JPG

IMG_5558.JPG

Above Edith Lake we are now 3.5 miles from Edna Lake.
IMG_5561.JPG

Imogene Lake is over them mountains...along with that football Uncle Rico threw.
IMG_5566.JPG

That's me with Farley and Yellow Belly Lakes in the background.
IMG_5571.JPG

On the other side of the pass and we can see Rendezvous Lake.
IMG_5573.JPG

We made it to Edna Lake, but unfortunately so did several others. We didn't find a suitable spot so we continued about 5 more minutes to Vernon Lake and found a great spot without the people. Mileage the first day was 10.1 miles.
IMG_5582.JPG

Vernon Lake
IMG_5583.JPG

My first catch of the trip.
IMG_5584.JPG

Next morning we only had a short 2 mile hike to Ardeth Lake.
IMG_5603.JPG

Here's our camp at Ardeth Lake. We were here for about 20 minutes setting up everything, and then an older couple hiked by and stopped 15 yards from us and started to take off their packs. We started looking at each other wondering if they were really going to setup camp a literal 15 yards away from us. So I decided to make the whole 15 steps over and i asked them "Hi, are you guys just stopping for lunch or setting up camp for the night?" Sure enough, they said they were planning on setting up camp. The guy asked me if we were too close. I immediately said ya, you're right on top of us. And I pointed to the rest of the huge lake and plenty of other campsites to seek out. The wife said they had a long hike that day and needed to stop. I kinda shrugged with a face of don't even think of setting up here. The guy then looked around for a bit and returned to his wife and convinced her to move on to someplace else. She repacked her stuff and wasn't pleased. But they were seriously 15 STEPS away from us!
IMG_5635.JPG

After they left we tried to think of a way so others don't do the same. So I grabbed a stick and wrote NO CAMPING in the dirt...no one else camped there, so either it worked or others are normal and don't want to camp on top of others in the backcountry.
IMG_5611.JPG

Later that afternoon we decided to head off trail for Tenlake Basin above Ardeth Lake for some fishing.
IMG_5612.JPG

IMG_5614.JPG

First peek into Tenlake Basin above Ardeth Lake.
IMG_5615.JPG

In this first large lake we caught some large cutthroats, rainbows, and a couple graylings.
This is the grayling I caught...just a little guy.
IMG_5616.JPG

This is one of the cutthroats.
IMG_5627.JPG

The next day we day hiked to Spangle Lake, this is looking back at Ardeth Lake on the right before heading over the pass to Spangle Lake.
IMG_5644.JPG

At Spangle the fishing was fast for some small brookies, nothing too big, but it was fun.
IMG_5647.JPG

We did have a small rain storm to wait out.
IMG_5650.JPG

Then heading back over the pass toward camp at Ardeth we had to do a photo...this is me and my brother.
IMG_5665.JPG

Final morning at Ardeth gave us a great photo opportunity of the lake and Glens Peak.
IMG_5679.JPG

This day we planned on hiking to Toxaway Lake, so we are filling up our water before heading over the pass and descent to Toxaway Lake.
IMG_5686.JPG

Descending to Toxaway Lake.
IMG_5691.JPG IMG_5693.JPG

Once we got to the lake we couldn't find a spot we liked, so we kept hiking back toward the trailhead thinking we'll eventually find something.
IMG_5695.JPG

This was a shot of a smaller lake/pond below Toxaway that I think looks pretty cool.
IMG_5696.JPG

We kept hiking and hiking and hiking...so we ended up just hiking out that final day instead of camping in a spot we didn't like. That day we hiked a pretty tough 13 miles. We thought we'd just camp at the trailhead. But we saw a bunch of RV's and car campers and their BBQs/picnics and the thought of tearing into a Mountain House didn't sound too appealing. So we hopped in the car and drove to Ketchum for some pizza. And now that we have fully thrown the towel in we didn't want to crawl into our tents for the night so I did what any manly man would do...I used my Marriott points and booked a night in Twin Falls!
IMG_5697.JPG

So the trip was great and the first time I've started and ended a backpacking trip in a hotel...yep, I really roughed it!

EDIT- I forgot to mention that we rented a sat phone from Skycall here in Salt Lake City: www.skycallsatellite.com. They were great and the prices are pretty good too, so give them a look if you need to rent a sat phone or locator.

Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

Last edited:
Nice trip report & pics. The Sawtooth Mountains is still on of my favorite hiking trips ever.

I need to get to the Sawtooths since I have family in Idaho. Beautiful pictures. And I really appreciated the Uncle Rico reference.

Not sure if I would've had the guts to tell those people they were camping too close. I'd probably just not say anything and be annoyed. Haha. So good on you for not being afraid to speak up!

nice trip report! I have yet to do one, and i backpack quite a bit. I guess I am too busy to get to a spot to beat the light :) I should start remedying that asap!

Good on you for staking a claim and defending it from the squatters! If someone doesn't tell them, they'll never understand that it's not really OK to do.

Nice report and pics of some beautiful scenery. I definitely need to get to the Sawtooths, .very cool stuff.
Thanks for sharing
Cheers
IRG

Are the Tenlakes Basin lakes the ones to the South/East?
Did you make it to the lake due West of Ardeth?
We are planning on this trip here pretty soon, just not sure which lakes we want to hit up.

Are the Tenlakes Basin lakes the ones to the South/East?
Did you make it to the lake due West of Ardeth?
We are planning on this trip here pretty soon, just not sure which lakes we want to hit up.
Ten Lakes refers to that whole area, the best lakes we found to fish (don't tell anyone though :cautious:) are the lakes south/west above Ardeth Lake just below Glens Peak. It's off the trail, but fairly easy to get to. Camping up there would be pretty cool if you want to get away from any crowds around Ardeth.

Love the trip report and that area... My brother in-law,son and I made a quick run up to the Cramer Lakes over the 24th of July. Thanks for giving me some ideas for next summer's trip.Your pizza looks delicious if you get the chance to stop by Smilely Creek lodge you should there burgers are amazing....

Love the trip report. Is there anything you would do differently if you had to change anything?

How much did the sat phone set you back? (thanks for sharing, that's a cool resource).

Where did you eat pizza in Ketchum? It looks delicious and like it would hit the spot after a big adventure like this.

Thanks!

@Eric O We should have turned the other way when we reached Toxaway Lake to look for campsites. There wasn't much on the east side, should have turned west. The Sat phone cost us $70 for the 4 days. We split the cost and ended up not being too bad.
And the pizza place is Smoky Mountain Pizzeria Grill in Ketchum.

@Eric O We should have turned the other way when we reached Toxaway Lake to look for campsites. There wasn't much on the east side, should have turned west. The Sat phone cost us $70 for the 4 days. We split the cost and ended up not being too bad.
And the pizza place is Smoky Mountain Pizzeria Grill in Ketchum.

Thanks for the feedback!

Here's our camp at Ardeth Lake. We were here for about 20 minutes setting up everything, and then an older couple hiked by and stopped 15 yards from us and started to take off their packs. We started looking at each other wondering if they were really going to setup camp a literal 15 yards away from us. So I decided to make the whole 15 steps over and i asked them "Hi, are you guys just stopping for lunch or setting up camp for the night?" Sure enough, they said they were planning on setting up camp. The guy asked me if we were too close. I immediately said ya, you're right on top of us. And I pointed to the rest of the huge lake and plenty of other campsites to seek out. The wife said they had a long hike that day and needed to stop. I kinda shrugged with a face of don't even think of setting up here. The guy then looked around for a bit and returned to his wife and convinced her to move on to someplace else. She repacked her stuff and wasn't pleased. But they were seriously 15 STEPS away from us!

That's funny about the couple who set up so close to you. I had a group of like 20 boy scouts and their leaders who did the same damn thing to us once, where there were plenty of places to camp all around and they chose 20 feet away from our tents. Some people need to brush up on their backcountry etiquette.

I love this hike. One of my favorites. As I looked through your photos I found myself remembering most of the places you highlighted :)

There are so many different ways to access this particular set of trails. For anyone looking for a longer through hike the Queens River to Grandjean trails are fantastic, it's anywhere from 50 to 70 miles depending on how many side trips or extra loops you do and it does require a car shuttle. Most people tend to start out at Redfish Lake when heading into the Sawtooth's but I really like the Grandjean trailhead as an entry point. It's almost exactly 100 miles from Boise with all but the last 7 miles on paved highway. You can either head up toward Trail Creek, or Baron Lakes or follow the South Fork of the Payette River (FS Trail 144) most of the first 12 miles and is an excellent early season hike since most of the elevation is below 7000' until you get above Elk Lake.

The Sawtooth's are usually pretty busy but if you're willing to go off trail and use your topo map to find routes you can find incredible off trail lakes and not have any competition for camping spots. Not to mention all the potential peak bagging opportunities in this beautiful wilderness area.

Thanks for the great pictures, I enjoyed reliving the trails through your post!J