Sawtooths, Redfish Lake to Iron Creek

Parma

@parma26
So, I'm back from a great trip to Idaho with some family. We decided to do a family backpacking trip and settled on the Sawtooths. I've been there before, but haven't done a real backpacking trip in the Sawtooths. We left it up to my brother, the resident expert on all things Idaho, to choose the route. We went from Redfish Lake to the Iron Creek Trailhead. It ended up being 28 miles over 4 days/3 nights. Not too many people in the backcountry, just around the trailheads and the popular day hiking areas/lakes.
Let's get on with the photos!

This is the lodge at Redfish Lake. It has all the needs a true backwoodsman "needs"...even a glass of wine and wifi.
1 Redfish Lodge.JPG

For $10 you get a ride across Redfish Lake to the Redfish Lake Inlet trailhead...it was about 6 miles
2 boat ride.JPG

As tradition, i take the good ole selfie with my son at the trailhead sign.
3 inlet trail head.JPG
Here's part of our group of nine hiking up the trail.
4 hiking.JPG

Along the trail this time of year you get tons of huckleberries! It's very hard to keep a good pace with these delicious berries all around.
5 huckleberries.JPG

This is the world famous Elephants Perch, this is a rock climbers dream rock. For more info on this check out this site: http://www.mountainproject.com/v/the-elephants-perch/105905689
My older brother with us has climbed pretty much everything in this region. Including some highlights of some first ascents and lowlights of falling.
6 elephants perch.JPG

Here I am doing my part to help nature
7 atlas.JPG

I liked these boulder fields, they made it feel like some Hobbitts with a Wizard would come running thru being chased by some Orcs at any moment.
8 boulders.JPG
Mt. Cramer was the backdrop as we climbed to Alpine Lake.
9 Mt Cramer.JPG

And here is Alpine Lake...the one closer to Redfish Lake. There is another Alpine Lake closer to Iron Creek.
10 alpine lake.JPG

Finally at the highest point (approx. 9,300') we can see down into the Baron Lakes
11 baron lakes.JPG

Obligatory flower photo
12 flower.JPG

Here is Baron Lake and where we setup for camp the first night. This was 8.93 miles from the Redfish Inlet Trailhead.
13 Baron lake afternoon.JPG

In the morning we woke up to this...it was breathtaking! It's amazing what some sunshine and blue skies can do.
14 baron lake morning.JPG

There was this toilet that someone hauled in here that was popular and a welcome site!
15 toilet.JPG

Day two was a good hike, mostly along the Baron Creek...and pretty much all downhill!
16 baron creek.JPG

Some scenery from hiking on day 2.
17 hiking.JPG

A view of the valley we were headed down on day two toward Grandjean.
18 valley.JPG

This is Baron Falls, it's about 70' high.
19 baron falls.JPG

We had a little rain during the day.
20 rain.JPG

Here's our camp after day two, this was 7 miles from Baron Lakes near the turnoff to Sawtooth Lake.
21 camp.JPG

We needed to cross this creek/river. It was COLD! My brother decided to grab the packs of the younger ones and haul them across. I had my camera ready for the fall, isn't that what brothers are for? (he didn't fall)23 creek crossing.JPG

Day three hiking up to Sawtooth Lake.
24 hiking.JPG

Here's the creek we hiked near that was photo worthy.
25 creek.JPG

We camped just below Sawtooth Lake near this unnamed lake...very blue! This was 5.4 mile hike to here on day three.
26 lake camp.JPG

With fire restrictions in force, we weren't able to light a fire. But we still gathered around the fire pit.
27 firepit.JPG

Fourth and final day, we are headed to Sawtooth Lake and the trailhead. This is the same lake we camped near and was photo worthy again.
28 morning lake.JPG

The cost of getting great photos is finding the high points. Problem is that you need to come down.
29 coming down.JPG

This is looking back across the lake where we camped.
30 looking back.JPG

First glimpse of Sawtooth Lake. This is one of the larger lakes in the Sawtooths, and a very popular day hiking spot. It's also probably the most photographed lake in Idaho. It's nearly a mile long and 1/2 a mile wide.
31 sawtooth lake.JPG

Here is my son and me at Sawtooth Lake.
32 sawtooth lake.JPG

Sawtooth Lake without us in the way
33 sawtooth lake.JPG

All along this trip we saw and heard these Pikas. They are very curious fellas.
34 pika.JPG

Leaving Sawtooth Lake and headed for the trailhead
36 valley.JPG

This is Alpine Lake #2 near Iron Creek Trailhead
37 alpine lake 2.JPG

I thought this was cool. It looked like one tree fell and was uprooted, and took out two others on its way down. 38 tree fall.JPG

Almost there!
39 sign.JPG
We made it. This day's mileage was 6.87 making the total for the 4 days 28.21 miles
40 iron creek sign.JPG

And here's the much needed post trip meal/burger!
41 wicked spud.JPG

That's it. The Sawtooths are amazing! One thing about this area is that you are either hiking up or down, not too many level spots. And if you are running into too many people, then you need to explore more areas, this is the largest wilderness area in the US outside of Alaska.

Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

Last edited:
Very cool. I've only day-hiked in the Sawtooths so far, looks like some great stuff not to be missed.

I'm looking forward to getting up there sometime soon. Looked like a great place for a dad and son (with some other folks).

Salud!

Wow! What a great wide angle reflection shot @Parma. Great trip report!

And on Elephant's Perch. Tried and failed. Too scared... of weather...

Last edited:
Great photos and trip report.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

How was the temps at night? It appeared like the day temps were good.

How was the temps at night? It appeared like the day temps were good.
the first night was average, high 40s/low 50s.
2nd night was very warm, mid 50s. this was at 6000 ft or so though, where the other nights we were over 8000 ft.
3rd night was cooler, mid 40s

I've got my eyes on a Sawtooth trip. Having never been there myself, what do you think of this route:

Pettit Lake > Alice Lake > Edna Lake > Cramer Lake > Baron Lake > backtrack over the pass then to Elephant Perch > Redfish Lake.

What were the bugs like?

Thanks for the trip report & photos.!

Man the 'teeth are beautiful. I need to schedule some off-season goodness up there. I bet September is nice. Great TR!

Bugs were present, but not horrible. good ole 98%+ Deet always does the trick for me.

Great trip report... I was planning to do the Toxaway/Alice loop at the end of July but this is prime time for hiking in the Sawtooths. I'm certain that this loop will be over run with folks. Did you run into many people on your hike? I will be planning on spending three nights and will probably only go as far as the Barron Lakes. Two nights at the Barron lakes exploring/fishing and then one night back at Alpine for a quick hike back to the Redfish inlet for the boat ride. Thoughts...

Great trip report... I was planning to do the Toxaway/Alice loop at the end of July but this is prime time for hiking in the Sawtooths. I'm certain that this loop will be over run with folks. Did you run into many people on your hike? I will be planning on spending three nights and will probably only go as far as the Barron Lakes. Two nights at the Barron lakes exploring/fishing and then one night back at Alpine for a quick hike back to the Redfish inlet for the boat ride. Thoughts...
Toxaway loop is probably the most popular trail in the Sawtooths, so you would see a bunch of people on it. Going to Baron there were fewer people, but still a decent number. Most seem to hike to the Cramer Lakes area. But the Baron Lakes are well worth a trip...its awesome!

I hit the Cramer lakes the middle of last July. The huckle berries were popping the skies were clear with no smoke to be seen. They were fairly crowded but we managed to find a little piece to ourselves close to the inlet of the upper lake. I was also thinking about going off trail maybe to Saddle back lakes or the Upper Redfish lakes (Kathryn lake). The Upper Redfish Lakes have been on my bucket list for sometime now but so has the Toxaway loop. I guess I will just have to play it by ear. I'm so lucky to have this problem. Pretty rough choosing between three or four great routes in the Sawtooths...:)