Sawtooths Beta needed

Upgrayedd

I'm not really a climber or mountaineer but I'm planning a trip to the Sawtooths this summer and would love some feedback from those familiar with the area.

I'm planning on going from the Iron Creek trailhead to Goat lake and then up the valley to Thompson Peak. From Thompson I'm hoping to pop over to Sawtooth lake by one of the saddles that separate the two valleys.

I"d love any feedback you may have on making that traverse, if it's even feasible. On topo maps and on google earth the very top of the ride looks pretty steep all the way across the ridge separating the two valleys but after that looks pretty easy/mellow to traverse over to the trail to Sawtooth.

Thanks guys!

Not sure if this helps but we did a route from Goat to near Baron Lakes. It crossed the pass immediately west of Thompson, traversed a high valley, then across upper Fishhook before a final lower wooden pass lets you drop down to to the outlet below Baron. The whole thing was off trail, and part of a memorable 6 day high country traverse to the south end of the range.
Near Baron you can pick up a trail that eventually gets you to Sawtooth Lake. It would take 2 days, for sure.

Not sure if this helps but we did a route from Goat to near Baron Lakes. It crossed the pass immediately west of Thompson, traversed a high valley, then across upper Fishhook before a final lower wooden pass lets you drop down to to the outlet below Baron. The whole thing was off trail, and part of a memorable 6 day high country traverse to the south end of the range.
Near Baron you can pick up a trail that eventually gets you to Sawtooth Lake. It would take 2 days, for sure.

I'm aware of that route and will one day try to make that trip down into Fishhook and over to Baron and am very jealous of those that have had the opportunity to do it.

Unfortunately I don't have enough time to do that entire loop so I'm looking to go up Goat to Thompson, potentially summit, and then pop over past Mnt Carter and down into the valley past bluebox lake. It looks pretty rugged from what I can tell and may not be doable, or at least not doable safely. Things things are difficult to plan in advance without seeing pictures/video.

Thanks for the input!

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
B 5 Days in the Sawtooths Backpacking 2
B Sawtooths - Off Trail Route Plan Trip Planning 9
Rockskipper Earthquakes in Sawtooths Changing Things (Article) General Discussion 3
Eugene Backpacking the Sawtooths Backpacking 11
TeamJenkins17 Sawtooths July 2019 Hiking & Camping 4
2eez4life 4 days in the Sawtooths Backpacking 6
2eez4life Sawtooths 7/19 Trip Planning 7
wabenho 2 Nights in the Sawtooths Backpacking 23
TeamJenkins17 Sawtooths Photography 2
B Infinity Lake in the Sawtooths Idaho? Trip Planning 1
W 3-4 days in the Sawtooths, first week of June 2019 Trip Planning 16
Jackson A Slightly Snowy Sawtooths Stroll Backpacking 16
Upgrayedd Sawtooths conditions Trip Planning 3
D Greetings from Missouri! What are your favorite Hikes in the Sawtooths? Noobs: Introduce yourself! 4
andyjaggy Sawtooths June 21st-24th General Discussion 16
K Sawtooths Advice (July 2018) Trip Planning 19
Gunnahafta Sawtooths Aug 2018 Trip Planning 5
Eugene Idaho Sawtooths - Hell Roaring to Imogene Jul 18-21 2017 Backpacking 5
andyjaggy Sawtooths Traverse and Stashing a Bike General Discussion 5
seekinglost Trip advice for huge Sawtooths loop Trip Planning 3
Kullaberg63 The Sawtooths Above Timberline Backpacking 11
Joey The Sawtooths in October: A 5 Day Alice, Toxaway, Vernon, Imogene Lakes Loop Backpacking 19
muir_mountain Invite Sawtooths and White Clouds (September 2016) Meet Up (Members Only) 12
andyjaggy Sawtooths first week of July Trip Planning 19
Ross Partners for Twin Lakes, Sawtooths+Titcomb & Cirque of the Towers, Winds Trip Planning 8
dfcooper Sawtooths in August Backpacking 16
H Cross country loop in the Sawtooths Backpacking 18
Parma Sawtooths - Vernon, Ardeth, and Spangle Lakes Backpacking 14
Rob Grandjean TH Sawtooths Idaho Trip Planning 0
ramblinman Sawtooths in Early August Trip Planning 4
LarryBoy Sawtooths over Memorial Day Trip Planning 4
Ben Sawtooths, Sawtooth Lake loop Backpacking 8
Ben Sawtooths overnight, november 2013 Backpacking 2
Ben Sawtooths, Toxaway loop plus. october Backpacking 11
Ben Sawtooths, 68 mile loop, August Backpacking 32
Ben Sawtooths, Baron Creek and Goat Creek, July 2014 Backpacking 22
Ben Baron Divide, Sawtooths, june 2014 Backpacking 10
Parma Sawtooths, Redfish Lake to Iron Creek Backpacking 16
M Sawtooths or Uintas? Trip Planning 37
Dwm Sawtooths Backpacking 3
River Toxaway-Alice Loop, Sawtooths, August 2012 Backpacking 13
Nick Imogene and Hell Roaring Lakes, Sawtooths Backpacking 33
Nick Bears in The Sawtooths General Discussion 8
Nick Sawtooths in June Trip Planning 33
leatherman Hell Roaring Lake, Sawtooths Idaho Hiking & Camping 10
JBG Water Beta 2022 - Highline Trail Trip Planning 6
Perry Any Beta in this Proposed Route Near Coffin Benchmark? Trip Planning 5
Perry My First Multi-day Solo this Weekend - Looking for some Beta Trip Planning 0
longtimesun Happy to provide beta on Mountains - New timer to BackCountry Post Noobs: Introduce yourself! 1
Devin Ashby Mount Agassiz Beta Trip Planning 4