Ryder Lake, High Uintas Wilderness- 6.29-7.1.2018

Don't like ads? Become a BCP Supporting Member and kiss them all goodbye. Click here for more info.

Trip Reports
Thank you! Dang, had I known about BR-18 I would have gone over there. First time in there did not really know were things were. Yeah I was casting my fly rod in the wind Sat afternoon and I think that is what acted it up. Its been sore since I was rearended by a driver on their phone in May. Plus I was pretty tired from the previous day hiking and was just happy to be up there. If I had friends with me I would have gone up to McPheters. The LifeStraw is great for long walks. I only had 24 oz of water with me when I started and drank my last of it right as I arrived at Ryder Lake. Having it for lunch and not having to use my water and just drinking it from the river was awesome. I wont leave home with out it from now on. I think on short trips I will not even bring water and just pack it because most of the short hops have water on the way in if I needed it.
That sucks about your back from being rear ended. I hope it gets feeling better and don't give you any more problems. You'll have to go back again sometime and explore what you missed.

Don't like ads? Become a BCP Supporting Member and kiss them all goodbye. Click here for more info.

Trip Reports
McPheters also gets a little less pressure than Ryder.

Although two trips to Middle Basin ago... I watched two sheepherders walk the edge of Ryder lake, fishing off a tin can with just a little bit of what I think was just fish guts on a hook and they pulled a dozen brooks in less than an hour... then they smiled and waved as they walked by my grimacing daughter fishing with a wet fly, and went back to their camp.
I never had any luck fishing at Mcpheters when I was there but it was sure beautiful. I caught fish almost every cast in Ryder. Probably the fastest fishing I've had in the Uintas but they were small. Like I said they Brookies were much bigger in BR-18.

Dr Nebz

Dirtbag After Dark
Trip Reports
Thread starter #25
Makes me exicted for the UHT...starting July 22
It will be two weeks before I am back on trail. Its already bugging me. Forgive my asking for lack of knowing what the acronym means, what is the UHT?

Dr Nebz

Dirtbag After Dark
Trip Reports
Thread starter #26
I really really wanna go there
Now looking back I'm not quite sure why It took me so long to go there. I have been up Amethyst numerous times and have been to Kermsuh. Hell Hole is the last one in that area to knock off the bucket list.

Nick

Post 'em if you got 'em!
Trip Reports
It will be two weeks before I am back on trail. Its already bugging me. Forgive my asking for lack of knowing what the acronym means, what is the UHT?
UHT = Uinta Highline Trail. Like you, those of us who have just called it The Highline forever don't know, but we know it well. ;)

Dr Nebz

Dirtbag After Dark
Trip Reports
Thread starter #28
UHT = Uinta Highline Trail. Like you, those of us who have just called it The Highline forever don't know, but we know it well. ;)
It has an acronym now? It will always be the Highline Trail to me. I'm just jealous you folks get to walk it this summer. I send good vibes for happy trails!

Trip Reports
Now looking back I'm not quite sure why It took me so long to go there. I have been up Amethyst numerous times and have been to Kermsuh. Hell Hole is the last one in that area to knock off the bucket list.
I went to Hell Hole last year and had a blast fly fishing in the inlet. I haven't fly fished with a fly rod since I was a teenager. I usually fish with a fly and bubble. I'll definitely go back there. Anyway with a name like that I had to check it out. Better get that one off your bucket list. Kermsuh is the last one that I haven't went to in that drainage. If not this year hopefully next year I'll get there.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
graywolf Trip Planning 4
Red Rock Rangers Backpacking 1
lostlandscapes Trip Planning 0
lostlandscapes Backpacking 11
Nick Backpacking 14