Rockfall in CRNP

Dave

Broadcaster, formerly "ashergrey"
From the NPS:

ROCKFALL CLOSES HICKMAN BRIDGE TRAILHEAD AT CAPITOL REEF NATIONAL PARK

A significant rockfall occurred at the Hickman Bridge Trailhead off Utah Highway 24 during the early morning hours of Saturday, March 23. Several hundred tons of material fell, blocking the only trail access to Hickman Bridge. One rock was the size of a large automobile. The trailhead was officially closed upon discovery of the rockfall.

Material from the cliff continued to fall through the weekend. The park has solicited assistance in assessing the safety of the area, including the need for mitigating loose rock overhead.

With the spring visitor season underway, the park is working as quickly as possible to re-open the trailhead without putting any park visitors or staff at risk.

Thanks.

I'm headed to CR mon-tues, but I was thinking Lower Muley via the Post so I don't think it will be an issue.

yeah, thanks for posting this. good info i can pass on to tourists coming through.
i am guessing that the navajo knobs trail section is still open though?
or is the entire trailhead closed?

yeah, thanks for posting this. good info i can pass on to tourists coming through.
i am guessing that the navajo knobs trail section is still open though?
or is the entire trailhead closed?

Trailhead is closed. The rockfall happened right on the other side of the Fremont River, at the beginning of the trail. I just spoke with the chief ranger and he told me people can still access the trail beyond the rockfall by fording the river, but this isn't something they're advocating for obvious reasons.

The NPS and Utah Geological Survey won't even begin clean-up until they can determine needed safety measures. The first meeting to that end should happen within a week.

Trailhead is closed. The rockfall happened right on the other side of the Fremont River, at the beginning of the trail. I just spoke with the chief ranger and he told me people can still access the trail beyond the rockfall by fording the river, but this isn't something they're advocating for obvious reasons.

The NPS and Utah Geological Survey won't even begin clean-up until they can determine needed safety measures. The first meeting to that end should happen within a week.

thanks for the info.