Reflection Canyon

Mike Jones

So thanks to all your suggestions and tips, I went out to reflection canyon this weekend in Utah. I camped at Smithsonian Butte Road with my Jeep on the way out from San Diego and practiced some night photography in preparation for Reflection Canyon.

34182995793_d1209943a2_k.jpg

It pays to have a car you can go topless in ;-)

I woke up early before sunrise and drove through both Zion and Bryce. I will be honest I was tired and messed up some pictures that could have been great in Zion.

When I got to the visitors center in Escalante, I was told there was one other group (2 people) who got permits before me. I ended up passing them on the hike out and talked to them later at the Canyon, they were good people.

The drive down hole in the rock road was a blast in my Jeep, but I really got my car dirty having the back windows out. I was covered in dust by the time I got to the "trail head". But it was well worth it! The road was pretty easy drive, but got a bit more technical toward the end, and I would not try it without 4x4 and high clearance if you are going toward the end of Hole in the Rock Road.

The water levels were about 15 feet higher than the icon picture but it was still an amazing place to see!

34150935604_c892f559ce_k-1.jpg

I only met one other group that hiked out, and we all talked in the morning while we were watching sunrise. There was one other group that did not hike out, and they took a boat and then did a short hike. All in all great people and great views!

I was able to snag probably the only place you could use stakes for setting up a tarp or tent, and I was very happy got to camp at the top!

34861721941_192e746b00_k.jpg

If you want to see more pictures and read my detailed trip report you can check it out on my blog post, Photographing Reflection Canyon

If you have any questions about the trip please ask!

Love that last picture on your blog with reflection canyon and the milky way! That's pretty sweet!

Thanks! I worked really hard on that picture. Its actually two shots at two different exposures from the same spot. I had to expose for the milky way and then again for the canyon. I just ordered a print of it to hang up, hoping it comes out ok!

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
J Reflection Canyon Trip Planning 4
Mike Jones Reflection Canyon Utah Backpacking 35
J Glen Canyon NRA: Reflection, Cottonwood, Llewellyn Canyons Backpack April 25-28,2016 Backpacking 5
Nick BCP Reflection Shirt Pre-order is Open! General Discussion 3
L Stevens Canyon - Baker Trail water availability Trip Planning 7
fossana Found: prescription glasses near the top of the Flipoff Canyon approach General Discussion 5
Spud Salt Creek Canyon question Trip Planning 11
B Buckskin gulch/Pariah canyon Carpool Trip Planning 0
TractorDoc Paintbrush Canyon / Cascade Canyon Loop -- Grand Teton NP September 11, 2023 Hiking & Camping 9
Kullaberg63 15 day canyon route Backpacking 13
Titans Tricked in the canyon! Hiking & Camping 5
TrailScot Dayhiking the Under-the-Rim Trail - Bryce Canyon NP - October 2023 Hiking & Camping 4
Janice Such a GRAND Canyon - Deer Creek / Tapeats / Thunder River Backpacking 21
M Mee/Knowles Canyon Loop, Grand Junction Colorado Backpacking 4
OldBill Short hike at the Grand Canyon of Pennsylvania Hiking & Camping 1
S Paria Canyon- Whitehouse to Lees Ferry, Oct 18 to 21, 2023 Trip Reports 0
scatman Yellowstone's Thorofare, Headwaters of Thorofare Creek, Majo Pass, Younts Peak, Bob's Canyon, and Cub Creek - August 9, 2023 - Days 7 through 10 Backpacking 34
scatman Yellowstone's Thorofare, Headwaters of Thorofare Creek, Majo Pass, Younts Peak, Bob's Canyon, and Cub Creek - August 9, 2023 - Days 1 through 6 Backpacking 56
A Bowdie Canyon Trip Planning 10
TheMountainRabbit Silas Canyon (Popo Agie Wilderness) - August 2023 Backpacking 3
J Paria Canyon - One Day Trail Trip Planning 10
Bob The New Grand Canyon Trip Planning 1
WhozWutz Invite Horse Canyon Needles Meet Up (Members Only) 1
BJett Part 3 - Tour de Canyon Country. Lower Escalante Loop Hiking & Camping 0
BJett Part 2 - Tour de Canyon Country. Swell Times Hiking & Camping 0
BJett Part 1 - Tour de Canyon Country. Cedar Mesa. Hiking & Camping 8
Gretchen Millward Trachyte Creek via Woodruff Canyon, April 2023 Backpacking 9
F Grand Canyon hermits rest to granite rapids to bright angel Trip Planning 10
gnwatts Stillwater Canyon On The Water 11
shredhiker Kings Canyon July 2022 Kearsarge, Rae, & Sixty Lakes Backpacking 8
J Info needed: Bown's Canyon, Long Canyon Trip Planning 8
Gretchen Millward Cheesebox Canyon, Oct. 2022 Backpacking 14
Stickerbumper Fold Canyon Middle Exit Trip Planning 9
Janice Professor Creek / Mary Jane Canyon - mid April? Trip Planning 0
D Horseshoe Canyon or San Rafael Swell? Trip Planning 9
scatman North Ridge of City Creek Canyon - February 4, 2023 Hiking & Camping 17
scatman South Ridge of City Creek Canyon - January 28, 2023 Hiking & Camping 4
NorthwestWanderer 8 Day High Sierra trek : Humphreys Basin, Star Col, Granite Park, Lake Italy & Piute Canyon 6/25-7/2/22 Backpacking 7
T Amazing Discovery in Utah-Glen Canyon Trip Planning 65
Titans What’s your unfinished business? Hard canyon access, mtn peak, you name it! General Discussion 54
SteveR Big Spring-Elephant Canyon dayhike. With free bonus vacation pix! Hiking & Camping 13
Stephanie B Dirty Devil River Impassible at Poison Springs Canyon Off Road 0
LarryBoy Is there anything technical in White Canyon above the Black Hole? Trip Planning 16
dennisrodman A week in the Grand Canyon / Boucher / Hermit / Tonto Trail Trip Planning 4
XID_AZ Kanab Creek Wilderness - Sowats Canyon - Mountain Sheep Spring Trip Planning 6
travel2walk Yellowstone: Bechler Canyon, Aug 12-15 2022 Backpacking 21
balzaccom Mok Canyon Solitude for my birthday Backpacking 0
XID_AZ FiftyMile Canyon Sand slide Trip Planning 8
chandlerwest Hells Canyon - Jet Boat On The Water 0
futurafree Grand Canyon norovirus General Discussion 6