Reflection Canyon Utah

Mike Jones

Looking to get away from crowds during Memorial weekend. Think of hiking out to reflection Canyon for some photography.

Wondering if anyone has been out there recently. Concerned with the rain and snow that California received this year that the Canyon in Utah might be pretty full and not that great for photography.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

The reservoir is too full for the classic shot that you're thinking of. The two towers are always visible but the fin that creates the narrow channel has been submerged for quite some time. It needs to be a lot lower. I don't think it'll happen again for at least a couple of years with the amount of water that is coming down the mountain this year.

The reservoir is too full for the classic shot that you're thinking of. The two towers are always visible but the fin that creates the narrow channel has been submerged for quite some time. It needs to be a lot lower. I don't think it'll happen again for at least a couple of years with the amount of water that is coming down the mountain this year.
Do you think its worth hiking to or doing something like Coyote Gulch instead?

I am open to other suggestions, I like remote and beautiful

No. There are countless better hikes in the area, Coyote Gulch among them. I'm honestly really surprised that that Reflection Canyon overlook has gotten as popular as it is, but I guess that's what one iconic photo will do to a place. Remote and beautiful is everywhere you look in that area but most of them don't mean 10 miles one-way and no water sources. Do some searching on other Escalante canyons. There is incredible backpacking out there. This is a good start: https://backcountrypost.com/tags/escalante/

No. There are countless better hikes in the area, Coyote Gulch among them. I'm honestly really surprised that that Reflection Canyon overlook has gotten as popular as it is, but I guess that's what one iconic photo will do to a place. Remote and beautiful is everywhere you look in that area but most of them don't mean 10 miles one-way and no water sources. Do some searching on other Escalante canyons. There is incredible backpacking out there. This is a good start: https://backcountrypost.com/tags/escalante/
Thanks will look around. I think I am leaning towards Coyote gulch at the moment.

Is most of the water in Escalante drinkable with any typical MSR filter?

Coyote is most certainly not away from the crowds, especially on Memorial Day. It'll be a zoo if you're looking for solitude. Pick literally any other canyon in the Escalante and you'll be fine crowds-wise.

The Escalante itself is chocolate milk - not drinkable except in an emergency. Your best bet is springs or streams in the side canyons in general.

Coyote is most certainly not away from the crowds, especially on Memorial Day. It'll be a zoo if you're looking for solitude. Pick literally any other canyon in the Escalante and you'll be fine crowds-wise.

The Escalante itself is chocolate milk - not drinkable except in an emergency. Your best bet is springs or streams in the side canyons in general.
Any Canyons you recommend, I am not to familiar with the area. I am coming from southern California.

Yam making some last minute changes, was originally planning a night hike of angels landing in zion but found out you can't drive into zion during the season and the shuttles won't be running to bring me in and out at night... I really wanted to do night photography there

The Escalante is too silty to drink in the spring and when it's actively flooding, but it's actually pretty drinkable most of the rest of the time. It'll clog up a filter fast so aqua mira or a steripen is a good idea. The side streams will clog filters up too but not as fast. Know how to clean/back flush your filter or use something that isn't effected by a little silt.

And sometimes the Escalante is just as clear as the side canyons. Exhibit A, June at the confluence of the Escalante and Boulder Creek.

boulder-creek-escalante-36-jpg.11377

The Escalante River
boulder-creek-escalante-37-jpg.11378

The Escalante is too silty to drink in the spring and when it's actively flooding, but it's actually pretty drinkable most of the rest of the time. It'll clog up a filter fast so aqua mira or a steripen is a good idea. The side streams will clog filters up too but not as fast. Know how to clean/back flush your filter or use something that isn't effected by a little silt.

And sometimes the Escalante is just as clear as the side canyons. Exhibit A, June at the confluence of the Escalante and Boulder Creek.

boulder-creek-escalante-36-jpg.11377

The Escalante River
boulder-creek-escalante-37-jpg.11378
I'll defer to you on that point... you've got a lot of experience down there! I've only seen the Escalante running clear once - last fall at the confluence of Horse Canyon. Every other time it's been a muddy torrent.

I am starting to look at the Golden cathedral and neon Canyon for a one nighter over Memorial day weekend?

What do you think the crowds will be like there? Better than Coyote Gulch?

Any Canyons you recommend, I am not to familiar with the area. I am coming from southern California.

Yam making some last minute changes, was originally planning a night hike of angels landing in zion but found out you can't drive into zion during the season and the shuttles won't be running to bring me in and out at night... I really wanted to do night photography there

Sounds like your primary interest is photography and the hike/backpack is a means to the end... you may want to think about the Golden Cathedral. Call the Escalante Interagency visitor's center first though and figure out what flows are like on the Escalante River as almost all approaches to the Golden Cathedral require wading in the river.

I am starting to look at the Golden cathedral and neon Canyon for a one nighter over Memorial day weekend?

What do you think the crowds will be like there? Better than Coyote Gulch?

Just saw this post after I posted the recommendation. In short - yes :)

Yeah, you might have trouble crossing the Escalante to get to it this time of year but I haven't been watching the flows. Usually by the end of May you should be fine.

I will check out the flow rates. Right now just looking for a one nighter for practicing photography. Or a two nighter if it closer to Southern California

I just backpacked around Jones Hole with my son and we had the place to ourselves. There are two campsites at Ely Creek that can be reserved. The Creek is very clear. Same with Ely Creek.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just backpacked around Jones Hole with my son and we had the place to ourselves. There are two campsites at Ely Creek that can be reserved. The Creek is very clear. Same with Ely Creek.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Must be a good place, my last name is Jones!

Go to Zion.
Been watching the flow rates falling. Waiting for 150 then the narrows will open.

I like the fact permits are easier the escalante region.

I probably won't make a decision till the last minute... Good thing I print my own maps!