Recommendation for Ice Axe

Blake Merrell

Life Elevated - Rising Higher
Hey all,

I am looking to get me a Ice Axe and wanted to pic your brains about what kind to get. I don't plan on doign any hard-core mountaineering anytime really soon, but this summer I may be crossing some glaciers and such and might need such a tool. what are your recommendations about these tools for a guy that is 6' tall? What kind? Size? material? brand? etc...

Thanks!

Blake

I don't profess be a serious mountaineer, but I like to bag peaks in the spring/early summer and head up steep snow packed slopes and couloirs with crampons and an ice axe. My opinion is that something basic and simple should suit your needs. I have basic Camp ice axe that is probably 10 + years old that I bought from a friend for $20. The straight style works or me. I like ones that are a little longer (maybe 70-75 cm) because they seem to work well for me as I'm switch backing (or even going straight) up steep slopes. I'm 5'8" so you may want one that's even longer??

Maybe something simple like the Camp Neve or Black Diamond Raven. Maybe even look for a used one on ksl?

I'll be curious to see what others say who may have more experience.

Oh, and make sure you practice self arresting somewhere safe so you know the technique.

Palm of hand at thumb junction to floor is a guide for walking, ice climbing is different. I'm 5'8" and take a 65cm. Grivell, Raven is good, Cassin makes a really light one I saw at the OR show. Straight style over curved. But then you need to learn how to use it.

I'm in same category as Mike, have used one often on local spring/summer snow. Only steep fields are practical because my axe is so short, but I've found that is when I really need it most anyway. I have this wonderful old Charlet Moser I picked up in 1993?, hefty, sharp, made of real metal ;), probably should get a tetanus shot when I use it. I could see myself getting something modern in a lighter and longer spec. But they just don't make them like they used to.

Old were are definitely built to last.....and heavy

I found a sweet BD ice axe in the great salt lake once. Well, twice actually. The second time I took it home. It looks cool hanging above my desk. I've yet to actually swing it into anything though.

Depending on the slope angle your reach will be shorter or longer depending on the length of the axe. If the snow is soft-ish you can bury a longer one in deeper for a good resting "anchor". Longer is slightly heavier...hmm...

Ok, maybe give this a read since I'm definitely no expert: http://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/ice-axe.html
That article was very helpful. thanks for pointing me to the link!

I'm thinking the length doesn't matter that much unless you are climbing and leaning on it - you don't need much length for self-arrest, or steep slopes for that matter. If all you are doing is crossing a few snowfields, and leaving it strapped to the pack for most of the time, I'd want shorter. The more I use mine, the more I wish it was shorter because it just gets in the way.

I typically get quoted out of context in an embarrassing way when I post about ice axes.

I'm thinking the length doesn't matter that much unless you are climbing and leaning on it - you don't need much length for self-arrest, or steep slopes for that matter. If all you are doing is crossing a few snowfields, and leaving it strapped to the pack for most of the time, I'd want shorter. The more I use mine, the more I wish it was shorter because it just gets in the way.

I typically get quoted out of context in an embarrassing way when I post about ice axes.
haha ........... we will think on that one......