Raving at Midnight

Miya

Because I am able.
I feel like I am going to have more to babble about than usual, so if people want to skip the chat and just see photos use the link. Plus, I never upload all the photos on here because I don't want to be bothersome.

https://evermoremoments.smugmug.com/Raving-in-Nature

To sum up the trip:
Went the wrong way
Bad sunburns
Steep inclines
Coyote
Bunny
Ugly Lakes
Painful boots replaced with sandals
Rattlesnake
Ran out of water
Fear of friend being kidnapped
Bobcat
Horse water
Rolled ankle
Booming Bass and Strobe Lights
Night hiking
Night vomiting
It was amazing!! :wavespin:

The plan was for Bobbi and I to hike to Pacheco Falls, Gilroy, CA and take a long loop trail that I routed, about 24 miles.

Actual - did not make it to Pacheco Falls (but got so close) and did 21.86 miles.
03.30.2018 - ~13 miles
03.31.2018 - ~7 miles
04.01.2018 - ~ 2 miles

Hunting Hollow.PNG

We figured we had SO much time, so we started unusually late for us at 9:30 AM. The plan, in my mind, was to hike 8-10 on Friday and Saturday, then we could leave pretty early on Sunday and get back to our homes. However, Bobbi has this tendency to just want to keep going so that we can FINISH quickly. It usually ends up working against her, and this time was no exception *forehead slap*.

My pack was 32lbs, then I made the dumb decision of throwing my 3.5lb telephoto in there (was feeling cocky). Bobbi's pack weighed in at 36lbs (both packs with water).

Selfie.jpg

Taking a shot.JPG

Raving in Nature.jpg

Bobbi HATES stream crossings, she can't stand having her shoes and socks wet. But I always wait for her while she tries to find acceptable ways across. :p

Raving in Nature-4.jpg

The things we do to get that shot. My pack ended up falling over my head and forced me to unleash a slur of curse words shortly after Bobbi photographed me.

Taking a shot 4.JPG

Raving in Nature-7.jpg

Monstrous pinecones

Raving in Nature-6.jpg

Pretty quickly, we ended up missing our fork in the trail and had to go an alternate, longer route. It ended up being a good thing though, because there were lots of pretty sights along the accidental trail.

These mushrooms...fungi...growth, were so stunning.
Raving in Nature-8.jpg

We stayed at this little fall and snacked and walked in the water. Luckily, we were still pretty shaded, but it was about to get very hot and very dry.

Raving in Nature-10.jpg

I forgot to use sunblock for most of the first day and Bobbi refused to wear it the entire time. Our burns were awful.

Raving in Nature-11.jpg

Luckily, Bobbi had her telephoto on and could get this picture of the coyote from a hill over. I see coyote all the time where I live (running in front of my car), but it just isn't the same as when you get to see them while hiking.

Taking a shot 6.JPG

Bunny!

Raving in Nature-12.jpg

We finally made it to the first lake (Kelly Lake) around 15:30, this was the first time we saw humans since we left the parking lot. There were a lot of people arriving at the lake at the same time, but had come in from a different trail. Bobbi laid down to rest and I switched into my hiking sandals (the Danners were killing). I then wandered off to pump our water and just enjoy being pack-less. All the lakes in this area were...not my idea of pretty.Raving in Nature-14.jpg

Raving in Nature-15.jpg

We started up again at 1600. Planning to hike to the next lake, just another 1.1 miles and then set up camp. I decided to stay in my sandals for the rest of the day.

We made it to Coit Lake and walked right past. We had planned to camp near water, but all the flat areas had extremely high grass and were marshy. Also, I knew there were a lot of rattlesnakes in the area and was just being cautious. Make a half a mile from the lake, a rattlesnake slithered away from our oncoming steps. We didn't notice it, even with it only being 3 steps away. It slithered just to the side of the trail and coiled up and rattled. I was very grateful for it's attention, because we sure didn't notice it.

Taking a shot 7.JPG

We backed up quickly. I took a photo and then chucked some small pebbles at it. It did not leave, so I walked to the opposite side of the trail and walked past it. Even though I was 8 feet away, it rattled like crazy and moved its head like it was about to make a move. Luckily, it did not.

I turned around and Bobbi was still behind me on the trail. Apparently, she is terrified of snakes. For about 15 minutes, she stood there and threw rocks at it and turned around in circles and jumped from one foot to the other. Eventually, she made her way to me and the snake didn't even make a sound. I was proud of her.

It was getting close to 1900, we were out of water and didn't know of any around. We were absolutely exhausted, but wanted to camp near water . We followed a trail marker to "Live Oak Springs - 2 miles" and got a mile in before I said "No more" and we set up camp on a turnout of the trail. Hah. We were passed out by 20:00.

Raving in Nature-19.jpg

I woke up at 8:00 AM (yup, slept 12 hours). Bobbi was gone...Her tent was there and it was open and she left absolutely everything behind. Shoes, water, camera. I told myself she wandered off to look for water, but I was pissed and worried. She came strolling back half an hour later and she got to enjoy my lecturing. :p She led me to a still trough (saw a bobcat on the way!) with dead bugs in it and the color of dirt. So we utilized the pump, and designated the water as 'Emergency water'. We took one gulp each and headed back to break camp.

Raving in Nature-18.jpg

Luckily, a savior (a local) appeared as we were about to head out at 0900. He was in the search for nearby water as well. We let him know about the suspicious horse trough and he ended up leading us back the way we had come the day before to running water. He was good company, but it was noon and we HAD to make some miles.

I had decided that I was doing the rest of the trip in my sandals, and even though the 3.5 lb Danners were not a welcome addition to my backpack, my feet were happy!

Heading back was an extremely steep incline.
Climbing.JPG

Raving in Nature-23.jpg

Raving in Nature-21.jpg

Looking out 2.JPG

Even though Bobbi made fun of me for buying these for us, she wore them and enjoyed it. She rolled her ankle earlier and refused to use my other trekking pole *forehead slap*.

Toes.jpg

We made camp at 1700, right back where we had started. It was the trailhead entrance and the parking lot was just a short 2 mile road walk away, but I wanted another night outside. We pigged out on food and Bobbi went to bed. She was feeling very sick from her sunburn, but refused to cut the trip short.

Here is where it gets interesting...(no pictures to follow though).
Around 23:30, I was awoken by vibrating bass. I sleep with earplugs in, so you can imagine how loud this music was. I could see a truck on the bridge near by (it heads up to the dry hot springs, but is closed this time of year). I tried flashing my headlamp at them, but it didn't deter them. The music was techno, with dark sadistic lyrics, so my imaginings were getting the worst of me. Around 0030, Bobbi was awake, sick, and wanted to go home. I could hear lots of voices nearby and figured it was a party that wasn't going to end anytime soon. I offered to go get my car and bring it up to her, but she refused. We were packed up by 0100 and headed to the heart of the commotion. Even though there was a full moon, I used my headlamp so they would see us coming.

The kids had a tent set up and a fire in the middle of the road. There were strobe lights, you know, of ambience. They were swaying drunk and surrounded by the scent and smoke of marijuana. There was probably only 20 kids there, but more cars were coming up.

We walked on past and did our best to not get ran over. Half a mile in, the guys throwing the party caught up with us. They apologized and offered us a ride. They seemed like genuinely good kids, but I declined JUST in case.

We made it to my car at 0200, drove half a mile, pulled over so Bobbi could throw up, and made it to my house after 0400. Oh! and we finally saw a wild pig, I almost hit it with my car on the way out. LOL

I love how nothing ever goes as planned, and the stories that come from these trips. I don't know how I lived my whole life without these outdoor adventures! Thanks for letting me share and kudos to anyone who actually read the whole thing!

Last edited:
cool wild life, too bad about the wild partyers. i liked the fungus too. and good to see some more fence shots : )

I always enjoy your TRs, but I must say I was a little sad not to see the LEGO figure this time ;)

Everyone has their preferences and conditions often dictate gear choices, but you may want to consider some lightweight hiking shoes or trail runners. I have pretty much ditched my big boots. I do love to change into sandals at camp though. Totally worth the weight for me.

Thanks for sharing!

I always enjoy your TRs, but I must say I was a little sad not to see the LEGO figure this time ;)

Everyone has their preferences and conditions often dictate gear choices, but you may want to consider some lightweight hiking shoes or trail runners. I have pretty much ditched my big boots. I do love to change into sandals at camp though. Totally worth the weight for me.

Thanks for sharing!
I'm a trail runners person myself, but it's also a function of pack weight. When my pack weighs 30 lbs (I pack pretty light, but do a lot of 8-10 day food carries in the desert with 4+ liters of water), my feet aren't quite as happy. Still not worth big boots, but the trail runners definitely aren't as comfortable as when I can dance over the rocks with an 8lb pack.

Wonderful report! I like the shots of the pine cone, the rattlesnake and the swallowtail.

I love reading your reports! When I saw the title I thought “oh okay Miya knows how to get down on her trips” before eventually realizing you had noisy intruders at camp (not cool). I also missed the LEGO shots.

cool wild life, too bad about the wild partyers. i liked the fungus too. and good to see some more fence shots : )

It is okay, they ended up not sacrificing us to the demon of their choice. Lol jk, it ended up making a good story :)

Reactions: Ben

Thanks for sharing!

Awwww I was hoping no one would notice. I forgot my lego! Hah

Yes I am using my REI coupon today and getting trail runners!! My stepdad was like "boots boots boots", but my right Achilles tendon swells and rubs those boots to blinding uncomfortablility.

Reactions: Ben
Wonderful report! I like the shots of the pine cone, the rattlesnake and the swallowtail.

Thanks for identifying that butterfly for me! I never know what anything is, just "OoooOOOoo I want to take a pic of that".

I'm a trail runners person myself, but it's also a function of pack weight. When my pack weighs 30 lbs (I pack pretty light, but do a lot of 8-10 day food carries in the desert with 4+ liters of water), my feet aren't quite as happy. Still not worth big boots, but the trail runners definitely aren't as comfortable as when I can dance over the rocks with an 8lb pack.

I am on it LarryBoy! I have been looking the last month. Ordered a new pack last paycheck and now I am ordering the runners today :)

I love reading your reports! When I saw the title I thought “oh okay Miya knows how to get down on her trips” before eventually realizing you had noisy intruders at camp (not cool). I also missed the LEGO shots.

Haha yeah, I have my own parties at home by myself and continually in my head. However, I avoid parties with other humans at all costs LOL It ended up being a unique experience at least!

Haha yes yes, the Lego will be back. I am trying to do a rain hike tomorrow and I will do my best to remember her this time! :rolleyes:

An other vote for trail runners, good move.

Beautiful report and pics.
We were at a garlic festival in Gilroy years ago. The only (and last) time I had garlic ice cream.

Beautiful report and pics.
We were at a garlic festival in Gilroy years ago. The only (and last) time I had garlic ice cream.

Haha, I have yet to go to that festival. At the Aspargus Festival in Stockton, I love the asparagus margaritas, but I didn't care for the asparagus ice cream though (imagine it is similar idea). :p

Back