Range Creek 6/01/2013

ROKTAXI

I found information about Range Creek permits through another forum (Exp.UT) so I decided to give it a go.

I arrived at the TH about 9:30 a.m. The rest of the group was already there, and off we went.

Gate_sign.jpg

We had very little information regarding locations for RA and / or granaries, but after a mile or so we had a "park" ranger in a big Ford Super Duty truck come up behind us checking for permits. He was VERY helpful with info to say the least! Wish I could elaborate more, but....

With information overload, we set off in search of all the various RA panels and granaries.

Some of the first sites we found:
Red_dots.jpg

Picto_alcove.jpg

Ladders.jpg

Panel_interesting_closeup.jpg

This anthropomorphic appears to be a birthing (??)
Petro_Birth.jpg

I thought this was an interesting petroglyph with the mineral deposits that had cascaded down making it appear like rays of light.
Sun_man.jpg

This panel was in a high alcove that had an elusive access. I would take some route finding to get up to it, but I'm sure it's doable.Glad I had my long lens.
Picto_alcove.jpg

This the "Fat Man". We were not able to get closer due to time and access issues (extreme brush whacking and a stream) The figure is just above the green tree in the center of the picture.
Fatman.jpg

We spotted several granaries, but were not able to get up-close-and-personal to any of them due to time constraints and their location.
Granary_High.jpg

Granary_hidden.jpg

Granary_2.jpg

Grabar_shelf.jpg

Granary_alcove.jpg

Granary.jpg

DwellingCloseup.jpg

The rock outcroppings were very cool. This is Locomotive Rock
Locomotive_Rock.jpg

And this is Budges Arch:
D_arch.jpg

I called this Space ship Hoodoo:
Hoodo.jpg

Locating this upside down guy was quite the effort to locate, but well worth it:
Upsidedown_man_me.jpg

Upsidedown_man.jpg

And here's some of the brush whacking group. The little dog (Jetta) had to held up high to make sure he could get through the "brier patch" without getting lost.
Hold_m_high-1.jpg

A periscope would have been helpful
Bushwackers.jpg

On the return trip, part of the group decided to hike up to Locomotive Rock to look for granaries and rock art. Jim (?) and I chose to head back to camp. I decided to head back home and headed out about 7:30. It was a nice drive back down the mountain. I got to the Geneva Coal Mine just before dark. This was our camp location. Very near the Range Creek.
Jeep_camp-1.jpg

View2-1.jpg

Mine_Bldg.jpg

Mine_Bldg2-1.jpg

It was a great trip with good people! Wish we had more time to explore but will plan another trip this fall for sure.

The next day I looked at my legs where I was viciously attacked by very evil, angry sage brush.
P1050068.jpg

Very awesome. I saw the trip coming together on ExpUT and wished I could go, but I had plans for the weekend already. I live so close and can't believe I haven't been to Range Creek yet!

I forgot to mention that we covered a little over 14 miles. The group that went up Locomotive Rock probably added another 2 miles to that. One of the longest days I've done.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
R Wind River Range: Green River Lakes/Clarks Trail/Porcupine Creek Trail Trip Planning 3
regehr Fox Creek, Teton Range Hiking & Camping 19
travel2walk trip report: Wind River Range – Ross Lakes, Bear Basin, Grasshopper Glacier, & Dinwoody Creek loop, Aug-Sep 2020 Trip Reports 41
NorthwestWanderer Backpacking the Lost River Range in Idaho : Bear Creek Lake & Upper Basin Backpacking 7
Udink Range Creek II Hiking & Camping 6
IntrepidXJ Black Friday in Range Creek Hiking & Camping 4
Udink Range Creek Hiking & Camping 11
Outdoor_Fool Brooks Range trek - Anaktuvuk Pass to the Haul Road - Cancelled Flight - last minute change-up Backpacking 21
scatman The Wyoming Range (Scatman version) - June 26, 2023 Backpacking 21
Bob Wyoming Range Backpacking 14
Dreamer Wyoming Range conditions 2023 Trip Planning 62
W Greetings from the West Side of the Winds (Wind River range) Noobs: Introduce yourself! 5
marquiri Wind River Range - Angel Pass Trip Planning 24
Writhdar Day hikes in the White Clouds and Lost River Range Hiking & Camping 1
Mikjik86 Backpacking The Wind River Range - Wyoming, September 2022 Trip Reports 3
wsp_scott Wind River Range Sept 2021 (part 2) Backpacking 4
wsp_scott Wind River Range Sept 2021 (part 1) Backpacking 16
B Wind river range mid sept. Trip Planning 8
andyjaggy Wind River Range Roberts Mountain Trip Planning 4
marquiri Wind River Range - September 2022 Trip Planning 31
J Pahranagat, Desert NWR, and Arrow Canyon Range to start Nov. 2021 Desert time Hiking & Camping 6
seekinglost 1000 Mile Nevada Thru Hike on the Basin and Range Trail Trip Reports 14
RyanP Snowy Range (WY) easy backpacking recommendations? Trip Planning 4
westy Wind River Range Backpacking 4
wsp_scott Wind River Range (beginning of Sept 2021) Meet Up (Members Only) 11
TheMountainRabbit NW Wind River Range (Bridger Wilderness) - August 2020 Backpacking 3
marquiri Wind River Range - Green River Lakes Trailhead Trip Planning 9
Outdoor_Fool Snowshoeing to Castner Glacier Ice Cave, Alaska Range Winter Sports 5
NorthwestWanderer The Bailey Range Traverse | An 8 Day Olympic National Park Epic Backpacking 15
Gunnahafta Green River <> Big Sandy WIND RIVER RANGE Trip Planning 1
TheMountainRabbit Invite Never Summer Range, June 27th-29th Meet Up (Members Only) 0
Matt Van Natta HELP: Wind River Range, Baker Lake to Green River Lakes Trip Planning 7
regehr bears in Jarbidge Range? Trip Planning 2
Ugly Front Range Friday Fun Winter Sports 5
J Grenadier Range, San Juan Mtns. Weminuche Wilderness, CO June 27-30, 2007 Retro Backpacking 9
NorthwestWanderer Chelan-Sawtooth Range : Sunrise to Cooney Lake Loop Backpacking 3
NorthwestWanderer Haunted by Washington's Tiffany Range Hiking & Camping 11
TrektheWorld Wind River Range 5 Day Loop Backpacking 16
WasatchWill Wyoming Grizzly Range Tracker and DMA General Discussion 11
H Wind River Range route planning Trip Planning 6
10KFly Wind River Range in Late September Trip Planning 6
Stephanie B Suggestions for Maze Hikes and Range Canyon Intel? Trip Planning 2
westy McCullough Range Hiking & Camping 7
b.stark Wind River Range 2009 "From The Vault" Backpacking 9
blueeyes Wind River Range August 2018 Backpacking 11
Lowro East Temple Peak - Wind River Range Backpacking 13
DuneElliot Backpacking Wyoming's Wind River Range, August 2018 Backpacking 4
Born to Hike Backpacking Northern Windriver Range, solo 60+ miles, 5 days, mid September 2018 Backpacking 17
b.stark Wind River Range 2007 "From The Vault" Backpacking 4
Wolverine1875 Wind River Range: Llama Trekking from Dickinson Park to The Cirque of The Towers Trip Planning 19