rain

regehr

Friday I was in the Swell with my kids and it was moderately miserable -- plenty of rain and hail -- and the dirt roads on the south side of I-70 had turned seriously gloppy, so we just went home. For those of you who stuck it out in the desert this weekend, how were things? Hopefully ok?

I've always wanted to see a real flash flood-- have only seen small ones. A friend tells a story about Dark Canyon flashing where the ground was trembling because of the boulders being rolled downcanyon.

Friday was surprisingly good at Lake Powell. We had flooding Thursday afternoon and wind out on the main channel but it was nice in side canyons. Thursday night and then Friday night had overnight rain and flooding, but that was it for precip. Sunday was glorious out there. I posted one of these in the bag night thread, but here's another. Funny that this trip was the one before my boat enclosure gets made. I really could have used it this past weekend.

IMG_9780.jpg IMG_9747.jpg

Rained pretty much everywhere on the east coast too. I had to reschedule my trip to Virginia.

I just finished up my Zion to Capitol Reef Hike a few days ago -- and it was the wettest one I've ever had.

I've seen small floods before and have also always wanted to see a real flash flood. BUT... I never wanted that time to be when I was solo hiking through Halls Creek Narrows! :eek: More details (and video) coming soon!

- Jamal

I just finished up my Zion to Capitol Reef Hike a few days ago -- and it was the wettest one I've ever had.

I've seen small floods before and have also always wanted to see a real flash flood. BUT... I never wanted that time to be when I was solo hiking through Halls Creek Narrows! :eek: More details (and video) coming soon!

- Jamal

VERY MUCH looking forward to this!

It sure has been soggy and wet all over, and shows no signs of letting up anytime soon.

VERY MUCH looking forward to this!
Ditto!

It sure has been soggy and wet all over, and shows no signs of letting up anytime soon.
No kidding! I'm hoping to get in a night on the trail this weekend, but that's not looking good either. Not that there's anything wrong with hiking/camping in the rain, but when there's lightning added to it and clouds fogging up the views you want to hike to, there's not as much to get excited about.

Those waterfall shots shots are incredible, @Nick. Where was that? It was the Thursday storm that (almost) got me.

Those were taken Thursday afternoon near Bullfrog. We launched with storms hitting around the area. That big one hit right on top of the Moqui Canyon and Crystal Springs Canyon areas. Right here: 37.490564, -110.636226

Can't wait to hear/see more about your experience!

We had the wettest season of hiking and backpacking in UT, in the past 10 years. Rain, hail, lightning...
The hardest one was the hike out of the Escalante towards Spencer Flat rd. during heavy rain. Slick rock was pretty wet and slippery.
But we have had a great time in UT.
Now it's sunny and warm - here in sin city. :)

Gesendet via iPhone 6 mit CrapaTalk

Just when it seemed like it was over and summer had begun. Now Andres and Blanca look like they want to thrash the beautiful weekend I was looking forward to. :(

https://www.facebook.com/NWSGrandJu...048578706774/1069110949767195/?type=1&theater

From NWS:
Forecast charts show the possibility that moisture from two decaying tropical systems may impact this weekend’s weather for the Four Corner states. When Hurricane Andres becomes a post-tropical cyclone, moisture could stream northward by Friday afternoon. The moisture surge from Tropical Storm Blanca could be a prominent rain maker for Sunday into Monday. Forecasting deep moisture plumes and how much rain may fall is very tricky. This situation bears watching as this is an anomalous weather pattern for early June, typically the driest month of the year.

wetweekend.jpg