Rain Pants?

IntrepidXJ

ADVENTR
I haven't done too much backpacking in the rain so far (been pretty lucky), but this past weekend we hiked out of Owl Creek Canyon in constant rain that didn't let up. Needless to say, we were pretty well soaked by the time we reached the Jeep. I guess we are lucky it was on our last day and not earlier in the trip or we might have been screwed.

Anyway, thinking I might need to pick up a pair of rain pants for trips when rain is expected. What do you use? Suggestions or recommendations?

I've been looking around and it doesn't look like I have many options to begin with in a 34" inseam...

After a few hours in the rain my rain jacket didn't seem to be keeping the water out anymore, too.

I use Helly Hansen Impertech II rainpants. They do not breathe but that is not much of an issue with me, for pants anyway. I have spent a fair bit of time in them while busting through wet/snow-covered brush.

slc_dan - Too much info there.

Rain pants only mean I'm getting wet from sweaty balls instead of the rain.

Agreed. I'd personally rather get wet from the rain than wear a sauna suit. I only carry a rain/wind jacket and hesitate to put it on until the very last possible second. If I expect rain, I'll just get wet hiking but bring a pair of dry long johns in a dry bag to sleep in.

I have spent a fair bit of time in them while busting through wet/snow-covered brush.

That makes a lot of sense. If it were cold enough maybe sweating wouldn't be as much of an issue.

A lot of the wetness on my pants this Sunday was from the wet brush we had to hike through. Not sure a poncho would have helped much with that?

It was pretty cool out....combined with the rain we were both pretty cold during the hike out, so sweating probably wouldn't have been much an issue this time.

Reactions: Ben
I've tried rain pants in a variety of situations. For me, a good poncho is way, way better.

Rain pants only mean I'm getting wet from sweaty balls instead of the rain.

Same here. The Snugpak Patrol Poncho is my fav, like a big muumuu with sleeves. My pants get wet from the knee down but dry fast in warm weather. For cold rainstorms I add some REI ul wind pants that keep out rain too. I rarely take them though but did in winter when a storm was forecast. They worked well but I have closer to a 31 inch inseam so I don't know if those will work for you. If you have any thrift shops close take a look. Those places have all kinds of rain pants and if you keep looking you may find what you need for a couple bucks instead of a c-note.

If I expect rain, I'll just get wet hiking...

That's what I've always done, but with the wetness and colder temperatures it turned into a hike where we really didn't want to stop too much so we didn't cool down to much and make the situation worse.

That makes a lot of sense. If it were cold enough maybe sweating wouldn't be as much of an issue.
I should have typed wet or snow-covered brush. I have worn them in warm temps (60's) but I tend not to overheat and sweat much, as it is. Sorry for the confusion.

I think Frogg toggs are worth a try for the pants anyway (wouldn't chance it with their jackets). Even if you don't like them you are only out like 10 bucks.

Randy, mid 90's when I first started snowboarding I chose some north face pants to use as an outer shell, they were Gore-Tex lined and had a full side zipper, which I also frequently used for many years sliding down spring/summer snow descending local summits (where the full zipper came in handy putting them on without removing anything else), and for occasional hiking in inclement cold weather. No rain or snow storm I've been caught in while boarding or hiking ever leaked through those, for combined cold and wet conditions they are hard to beat.

I've got a pair of Marmot full side zip pants from REI in Portland OR. We were heading for a trip to Vancouver Island and I wanted a lightweight, decent, waterproof pant for boat trips, etc. Easy on ...easy off. They are not goretex but the side zips can be unzipped from the top for breathing. I have used them at numerous places, from stormy boat rides, a snow storm hiking the Paw Hole, sitting in a wet seat (kept me dry) at a bluegrass festival in Lyons Colo, a wet hike out of some Flattops lakes. I could go on. They are very light to pack and take up little room in my pack. If there is any question of wet weather, they go in my pack. I have had very good results using them. I combine them with a Cabelas Goretex EVR jacket shell. Most water proof shell I've ever owned. I always seemed to get wet using ponchos. https://www.rei.com/product/863400/marmot-precip-full-zip-rain-pants-mens-long
I'd like to add that I've used these pants under colder conditions. Warm weather is going to make you sweat under anything.

Last edited:
Precip pants.......but I found I sweat inside to get about as wet as just knee high pants using a longer jacket or poncho.......sometimes just a umbrella works fine....

Has anyone tried this IKEA poncho? I've been seeing it mentioned in some ultralight forums. For $7 it might be worth picking up for a test drive.

I think Frogg toggs are worth a try for the pants anyway (wouldn't chance it with their jackets). Even if you don't like them you are only out like 10 bucks.

I use a set of Frog Toggs (jacket and pants). The pants are really lightweight and work well for those times when it's really coming down and it's pretty chilly outside. They are not tough or durable by any means, but, since I rarely use them they've held up well. Mine weigh 3.8 oz (I have size XS or S...they run HUGE). Paid $16 last time for the set on amazon.

I use a set of Frog Toggs (jacket and pants). The pants are really lightweight and work well for those times when it's really coming down and it's pretty chilly outside. They are not tough or durable by any means, but, since I rarely use them they've held up well. Mine weigh 3.8 oz (I have size XS or S...they run HUGE). Paid $16 last time for the set on amazon.
I use Frogg Toggs as well.

I've got a bit of a different perspective on the pants... I think they're complete garbage. However, if you take a scissors to it and turn it into a tacky-looking rain skirt, they're excellent! Except for the wet brush issue, a rain skirt is far superior to rain pants and keeps you much drier because of the sweat factor.

Just a thought... why not gaiters?

I own and like precip pants, but as people are saying they only make sense for fairly cold weather. I probably use them as light snow pants more often than rain pants.

I swear by my Marmot Precip rain pants. They are very light, less expensive, and breath well. An extra large works great for 34 inseam (6'5"). I have packed gaiters but don't use them much unless it gets really muddy or water is high and at greater risk of getting into the top of my boots. I hiked in them for almost the entire TCT in the rain as well as several rainy camp outs.

I buy them used on eBay. They are thin and are prone to small holes in the butt. I just use a small spot of T-tape inside. I buy black so the tape never shows.

For storage and packing they are small enough to fit inside the "packable" pocket of my rain jacket.

I agree with using them in the winter for snow as long as you are not skiing or otherwise going to slide on snow and ice. They rip easily.image.jpeg

Last edited: