Protection Filters

Do you use a filter to protect your lenses?

• Always

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Usually

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Rarely

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Never

Votes: 4 26.7%

• Total voters

Nick

-
What's the consensus on using a UV or similar filter as a protective layer for your lenses? I've had mixed feelings about it over the years, but now that I have a new lens in hand, I'm thinking about it again. So I'm curious what everyone else does.

The only filters I use are Circular Polarizer, or ND filters. The CP is usually on my 17-35mm or the 10-20mm. The ND stay in the case untill I need them. I did have a photo accident over a year ago where I thought my pack was zipped shut and threw my bag over my shoulder and all my gear hit the pavement. The only real casulty was my 77mm CP shattered. It did save the lens a little since it took the hit the hardest though.

As for worrying about scratches..... I don't really worry about that. I just try to be careful.

I rarely use any kind of filter. The only occasion I really use one is shooting waterfalls with my ND filter on a bright day and sometimes a CP.
So far my lenses never suffered of not using a filter and I'm definitely no fan of CP.

CP and ND filters are the only ones I use as well. Nothing for protection.

I try to be careful, but if my front elements ever get in too bad of shape it's really not that expensive to get them replaced.

t if my front elements ever get in too bad of shape it's really not that expensive to get them replaced.
I actually had no idea this could be done, do you have some place in particular that you use for this?

I don't use a filter for protection but usually have the CP filter on.

I do... but only because I am a klutz and have a tendency to scratch lenses :(

Any idea how much to replace a front element? I think my Canon 10-22 could really use a new one. :oops:

I paid $100 for a new front lens for my Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 VC (that I just sold). At the same time they cleaned the whole thing but that price also included a new lens hood (maybe $20 of the $100). It came back brand new and was sharper than it ever had been. I believe they must have also calibrated it. I wish I had sent it in earlier.

Also, I only use ND filters for waterfalls, although I would like to get grad ND filters for the canyons (bright light on top, and shadows at the bottom). So, less than protection, I'm interested in them to help produce better-quality prints.

I paid $100 for a new front lens for my Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 VC (that I just sold). At the same time they cleaned the whole thing but that price also included a new lens hood (maybe $20 of the $100). It came back brand new and was sharper than it ever had been. I believe they must have also calibrated it. I wish I had sent it in earlier.

Also, I only use ND filters for waterfalls, although I would like to get grad ND filters for the canyons (bright light on top, and shadows at the bottom). So, less than protection, I'm interested in them to help produce better-quality prints.

You've inspired me. I'm sending my 10-22 in to Canon. I just have to wait until I have a good 2 week gap in between trips....

I don't typically use that lens for night shots - i normally use my fisheye. I have taken one night shot with the filter on though and it turned out OK. Definitely would be better without the cpl. but its better than some other by far. it lets in far more light than my older one (a marumi)

View of the Heavens by Gareth Loosle, on Flickr

I think a lens hood will give you more protection then a UV filter.

I lens hood would of saved my tokina 11-16 from its fall this weeknd.:eek:

I use them all the time. I do buy really nice ones to keep down any flare. I don't hate on people who don't like or use them though.

But, I can tell you my lenses are pristine. Like they just got pulled out of the box. And I mean absolutely no dings or scratches. They are immaculate. They keep me from having to actually wipe the glass to clean them. I just clean or replace the UV filter.

Well that settles it, screw protection filters. I just got my Canon 10-22 EF-S back from repair. For $85 they replaced the front element and cleaned, lubricated and adjusted the lens. They also replaced some other parts like the entire top of the lens that reads the lens name and specs, I only know because it was partially rubbed off before and now it looks brand new. :)

Well that settles it, screw protection filters. I just got my Canon 10-22 EF-S back from repair. For $85 they replaced the front element and cleaned, lubricated and adjusted the lens. They also replaced some other parts like the entire top of the lens that reads the lens name and specs, I only know because it was partially rubbed off before and now it looks brand new. :)

Not a bad price - I bet it works better than new?