Proposed Grand Canyon permit fee increase - public comment open through 10/12/2024

fossana

I just received an email from NPS:

Your Chance to Provide Feedback: On 9-13-2024 the National Park Service announced a proposal to increase Grand Canyon’s nightly participant charge from $15 to $24 for below rim permits and from $4 to $6 for above rim permits for May 2025 and later. The word “proposal” is important – public comments are welcome through October 12, 2024, and final decisions will not be made until all comments have been considered. All feedback must be submitted directly through the website at https://parkplanning.nps.gov/GRCA_Backcountry_Fee_Increase. Your feedback is helpful, thanks in advance to those who take the time to submit comments.

Sincerely,

Steve Sullivan

This is a 60% increase for backcounty permits. Fee increase FAQs (downloads a PDF)

Last edited:
They mention SAR revenue, but fail to include a breakdown of SAR rescues from day versus overnight users. I suspect the former contributes significantly more. I hiked upper Tanner trail, yesterday and the only trash I found (and picked up) was within a tenth of a mile from the trailhead.

I don't mind this increase since I never do more than 2 trips per year there, but it's by far the most expensive place to backpack. I think the reason must be SAR.

If two parents want to take their two teens on a 5-night experience, it's $500 including all fees. Seems a bit much for what could amount to dispersed camping. In the FAQ, it says "What if my group can't afford this?" and their answer is essentially "just day hike, you poor trash".

Best way to decrease visitation....... charge more.

I just received an email from NPS:

This is a 60% increase for backcounty permits. Fee increase FAQs (downloads a PDF)

Perhaps naively, I always presumed that the revenue raised by the parks via backcountry fees was always very modest, in the grand scheme of things, and therefore backpackers generally got quite a 'good deal' in terms of how much we were charged. Not any more, it seems :(

I just checked my permit for a 10 day trip in Needles in 2019 and it cost $30. Now, the same trip would cost $86 !

Lol... $30 probly doesn't cover the time/expense for them to do the paperwork anymore

Back