Private Property Rock Art

IntrepidXJ

ADVENTR
Moab Area Rock Art XVII
Monday, December 26, 2011

The Original Trip Report on ADVENTR.CO

Since Christmas fell on a Sunday this year I was off from work on Monday. What better way to spend the day than searching for more rock art near Moab? However, this was no ordinary Moab rock art trip; this time Marty had received permission from a friend of his so that we could access some petroglyphs from his private property.

After finding a way down the snow covered slickrock to this point, we started the climb back up the other side. If this ladder weren't here, we never would have had a chance. Even with the ladder, there were still a few other sections that were kind of tricky to climb up for us.

Keep Out by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

Marty took this photo of me climbing up from the ladder. It was still tricky to climb up the crack from this point.

Climbing by Marty, on Flickr

Marty admires the first large panel of petroglyphs we visited. There were a ton of them here!

Admiring the Big Panel by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

Marty took this photo of me in the shadows as I photographed some petroglyphs between the fins.

In the Shadow by Marty, on Flickr

A closer look at part of the large panel.

Hunters by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

There are a lot of snakes found here. This is the left side of the large panel.

Snakes by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

After climbing through another crack and up another fin we reached another interesting petroglyph panel high above.

High Fin Panel by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

Another shot that Marty took of me.

Laying Down by Marty, on Flickr

Marty examines this very cool panel.

Marty by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

One more look at the panel.

High Warriors by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

We climbed back down the fin and then explored the other side where we found two faint petroglyph panels including this one with a few spirals.

Spirals by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

This one was right next to the spirals pictured above.

Horned Anthropomorphs by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

There were two large petroglyph panels located high up on a fin that we spotted from below. We did not see an easy way up, so I used my long lens to get a few photos. This was the highest of the panels.

High Saddle Panel by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

The lower panel was very large and contained many sheep in a line, among other figures.

Saddle Panelramic by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

Here's a little closer look at the above panel. I think I might have to see if I can get up to them for some better photos in the future.

Big Sheep Line by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

A view of many fins from up here.

Fin Wonderland by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

Marty takes a photo of a small panel we found as we thoroughly explored the area.

Photographing Sheep by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

I had walked by this panel earlier in the day and not even seen it. Maybe it was the lighting at the time? Luckily, before leaving the area I managed to spot it.

Faded Panel by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

After Marty and I hiked back to the Jeeps and parted ways, I set off to search for a few more petroglyphs before heading home. I went to an area that I had searched before, but found nothing. I knew there was something there somewhere...so I went back again. I still didn't find the petroglyphs I was looking for, but I did find this small panel with three sheep and three anthropomorphs. It's better than not finding anything!

Three Men Three Sheep by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

This last interesting petroglyph I managed to find along the Colorado River just before heading home. I must have driven by it hundreds of times before without even knowing it was there.

Interior Line Man by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

As is usual, it was another nice day hiking and exploring near Moab. The weather was good and we also visited and photographed some new petroglyphs- which is always fun!

>> Moab Area Rock Art XVII Photo Gallery

Nice! I tried all last week to get permission to visit some rock art on private property near Kamas. No dice. After multiple phone calls (all of them unreturned), they turned me down with the only explanation being that it's private property and they don't need to let me go there. I will try again though.