Priord Lake to Dead Horse Lake?

Devo

Anyone ever done this via the old Priord pass and Dead Horse pass? Trying to plan a trip but wondering how difficult it would be to do this in 3 days. First night at Priord, 2nd at Dead Horse and obviously start at East Fork Bear end at WFBF.

We are all in pretty good shape but I haven't done either pass and don't want that day 2 to be a nightmare. wanted to get thoughts on both passes, or maybe even input from someone who has done this? Thanks!

I swear there is a trip report on here where someone did exactly this. I can't remember who though. 3 days would be rushing that, in my opinion. Especially if you have any afternoon storms. You'd have to get over Priord Pass and then boogie to Dead Horse before that hits. That is some GOOD scenery through there. I wouldn't even consider it with less than 4 days.

I swear there is a trip report on here where someone did exactly this. I can't remember who though. 3 days would be rushing that, in my opinion. Especially if you have any afternoon storms. You'd have to get over Priord Pass and then boogie to Dead Horse before that hits. That is some GOOD scenery through there. I wouldn't even consider it with less than 4 days.

Very good point about trying to make Dead Horse on time before an afternoon storm. I wish we had 1 more night, a night in Rock Creek would be perfect!

I want to make it up to Priord but not sure we want to spend 3 days there. Do you think spending night 2 in Rock Creek Basin and going out via Rock Sea and the Highline TH would be anymore realistic?

Considering it's a bit over 10 miles one-way, 3 days at Priord actually isn't that bad. That basically gives you a day to hike in, a day to play, and a day to hike out.

If you're going to spend night 2 in Rock Creek, I'd still go out via Dead Horse. It's a prettier and MUCH more enjoyable hike than Rocky Sea to Highline. The only sad part about it is having to rush through West Fork Blacks Fork.

Another option would be to do the lolli-loop with Allsop and Priord/Norice. There is an old sheep trail that crosses the pass between Norice and Allsop. The section through the boulders is all but gone, but you can pick through it with some decent route finding skills. Dogs might not enjoy it though.

Another option would be to do the lolli-loop with Allsop and Priord/Norice. There is an old sheep trail that crosses the pass between Norice and Allsop. The section through the boulders is all but gone, but you can pick through it with some decent route finding skills. Dogs might not enjoy it though.

Now I do remember seeing pics of that trail somewhere on here. You make a strong case for just spending the days at Priord, we did that for Allsop last year and I did enjoy the lazy day. Maybe even a day hike into Rock Creek could be an option, I have never been in that basin and the many pics and TRs I have seen from it, I am thinking I need to go there.

Last edited:

Nick - You might be thinking of my trip last year? The trip report can be found here:
http://backcountrypost.com/forum/threads/solo-uintas-loop-from-east-fork-of-the-bear.2440/

Anyone ever done this via the old Priord pass and Dead Horse pass? Trying to plan a trip but wondering how difficult it would be to do this in 3 days. First night at Priord, 2nd at Dead Horse and obviously start at East Fork Bear end at WFBF.

We are all in pretty good shape but I haven't done either pass and don't want that day 2 to be a nightmare. wanted to get thoughts on both passes, or maybe even input from someone who has done this? Thanks!

I'm 57 years old...and not in what I would call GREAT shape. I went from the East Fork Trailhead to Priord on day 1 (starting at about noon) then over the pass to Upper Rock Creek and camped on the South side of Deadhorse Pass on day 2. It would make for a very long day if you tried to make it all the way to to Deadhorse Lake... but probably doable since you are in good shape. Weather (lightening) would be the big "if." My day 3 was a death march (for me) going over Deadhorse pass early and hiking to WFBF then over the Bear River - Smith's Fork trail back to East Fork of the Bear. (See my trip report linked above).

I'm 57 years old...and not in what I would call GREAT shape. I went from the East Fork Trailhead to Priord on day 1 (starting at about noon) then over the pass to Upper Rock Creek and camped on the South side of Deadhorse Pass on day 2. It would make for a very long day if you tried to make it all the way to to Deadhorse Lake... but probably doable since you are in good shape. Weather (lightening) would be the big "if." My day 3 was a death march (for me) going over Deadhorse pass early and hiking to WFBF then over the Bear River - Smith's Fork trail back to East Fork of the Bear. (See my trip report linked above).

I remember reading that TR now! The location details must have skipped me, thanks for the reply! I will have to get my group's thoughts, seeing a lot of terrain would be nice, but having a down day is tempting as well. The group ranges from half-marathon runners to Ultra Ragnar runners so I don' t think the miles would be to much of an issue, weather could easily be a problem though. This TR is a great resource for making that decision, thank you!

That looks like an awesome trip. I might try to pencil something like that in for next year. Modify it a little bit to hit Allsop, then cross to Priord, and then over into rock Creek, and add 2 more nights to take make it a bit more enjoyable.

That looks like an awesome trip. I might try to pencil something like that in for next year. Modify it a little bit to hit Allsop, then cross to Priord, and then over into rock Creek, and add 2 more nights to take make it a bit more enjoyable.

I wish we had another night, I think 1 night at Priord, 1 in Upper Rock Creek and one at Dead Horse would be perfect! Allsop is definitely worth a stop, enjoyed that one last year. Enough so that Nick's suggestion of doing the Priord/Allsop loop is strongly being considered.

Best of the Uintas right there. Hands down.
I'm with you Nick - there are lots of beautiful spots in the Uintas, but as an area, this is the best! As I think back on that trip I took last year, I would love to have spent more time exploring upper Rock Creek and should have spent a night in the Deadhorse Lake area. I guess I'll just have to do the trip again this September to get it right!

Wondering if anyone has any advise on this hike. I'm thinking of spending 5 or 6 days and getting dropped off at granddaddy and hiking that night to Besty Lake, then spend a day at Middle Basin, Rock Creek and then Dead Horse. Leaving one or two flex day's in case of storms or just being lazy. Any Cool lakes or recommendations would be great.

I'm trying to decide between Red Castle and upper Rock Creek. I haven't been to either. Rock Creek would provide more solitude, but I would love to see Red Castle.

Same here Andy, haven't been to either. Rock Ceek sounds like fun though.