Primus EasyLight Lantern

Nurrgle

Feet on the ground, head in the clouds
upload_2015-4-16_2-19-4.png

http://www.rei.com/product/784354/primus-easylight-lantern-with-piezo

I was wondering if anyone has had a chance to use one of these yet? I realized that my REI discount was going to expire last night about 10:30 so, I hopped online and grabbed one spur of the moment.

I like that it is so small and light and uses a standard stove fuel canister that I already carry for my Jet Boil. The reviews are pretty steller and it sounds like it is as bright as an old Coleman two wick.

Might add a little depth to no fire areas by giving the group something to sit, stand around.

I have the Primus Easy Light, have had no issues with it and find it works well for me in the right situation. I also have a Coleman Dual Fuel lantern that I run off white gas, pretty much the same Coleman Lantern that has been around for decades. The Easy Light is nowhere near as blazing bright as the Coleman lantern at full throttle. Nonetheless, the Easy Light most always has provided enough light for my needs. I tend to throttle back the brighter Coleman when I use it. There have been times when I needed the extra light from the Coleman. The Easy Light has a frosted globe, which gives it a nice warm hue. I'm pretty happy with mine and like the compactness of it. One thing in my experience though is that the Primus Easy Fuel mantels aren't quite as durable as Coleman mantels, and they seem to harder to come buy.

Nurgle, I've been eyeing this lantern for a loooong time. Had it in my cart many times but never pulled the trigger. For my annual guy trip we typically fly out west and buy a couple canisters of fuel for cooking and have to dispose of them while partially full in order to fly back home. I thought this would kill 2 birds with one stone. Providing light and lightening my pack by using excess fuel. Since I usually carry a small battery operated lantern (BD Orbit) the weight difference isn't that great.

Are you happy with yours?

Had a Brunton for a while.....I used that one as it did not require a mantle. Got rid of it as used it little for the weight.

I have been using it all summer, totally stoked on it. In fact, it has become part of my standard kit. It isn't near as bright as the Coleman lanterns, but it has always fit my needs so far. It comes with a smoked glass shade that really softens the light and makes it much easier on the eyes, no way to look into the eye of the sun like you can with a Coleman. It also doesn't mess with my night vision to bad, which is pretty nice as well.

I have used it for 11 pack nights and 15 car camp night this summer and I am still on the same mantel.

The handle is super versatile, basically just a wire loop with a length of wire and a hook. It can be hung anywhere. Comes with a really nice case that doesn't look like it will allow the thing to break.

I am not sure how efficient it is because I haven't use a full gas can yet but it seems to burn the stuff pretty quickly. The other major concern I have with it is it get pretty hot, you could very easily burn your hand on it or melt a sleeping bag etc..

Last edited: