Possible Escalante, Utah Fracking

intuitive cat

Jurassic Dust in my Bones
Now, I know we try to shy away from political issues on this forum, but I felt that this is information that many of you really need to know considering how much many of us love the Escalante Canyons and Watershed.
I will start by giving a link to a .zip file (that i promise is safe and compressed by yours truly)
that contains a few letters, township maps, and other information about the current situation in Escalante, Utah.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/kqnl3m5qm5u31bj/escalante%20fracking.zip

I received these digital copies of the information from a friend of mine who lives in Escalante.

The following was posted in the Escalante Facebook group when the situation came to light publicly.
I defer to it rather than trying to explain the situation myself.
(if the author has any issues with me posting this here i will gladly remove it upon notification from said author)

"Hi, Folks. I got this info. in my e-mail after hearing it from friends and hearing it discussed at City Council. I think it's time everybody learns about some changes that could come our way.

Fracking in Utah's Remote and Pristine Red Rock Desert?
Two weeks ago, employees from a company with offices in Pennsylvania and Colorado, Front Runner Seismic, showed up in Escalante, Utah, (pop. 800), and quietly went about their business, knocking on doors, offering contracts of various sorts—mineral leases, property access—ready for signature.
As the men made their rounds, the details slowly began to surface. They represent energy developer James K. Munn from Denver, Colorado. He’s after oil, and he believes there’s some to be had under our town. When specifically asked about fracking as a method of extracting oil, Munn’s representative, Patrick Barnes, gave this simultaneously ambivalent and clear answer: "We are not ruling it out."
Escalante is bordered on three sides by Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument, and on the fourth side by the Aquarius Plateau, which drains to the Escalante River. The only way in or out of town on paved roads is Highway 12 east through the Monument or west past Bryce Canyon National Park. Some of the property Munn has targeted borders Pine Creek and the Escalante River. The Escalante is one of the few remaining undammed rivers in the West.
Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument has 750,000 annual visitors from around the world and is located in the heart of the monument and near several national parks.
Escalante, settled by Mormon Pioneers in 1875, has been politically and culturally divided since President Clinton designated Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument in 1996. It is a community reliant on agriculture and tourism. Water is scarce and sacred.
What we know:
Front Runner Seismic representatives claim testing will take place on private and public property before Christmas. They say they will test along roadway right-of-ways using vibration trucks in the small town lined with historic brick “pioneer” homes built with fragile sandstone foundations.

Neither Front Runner nor James K. Munn have applied for the permit required from the Utah State Office of Oil, Gas, and Mining to legally begin this work.

Neither Front Runner nor James K. Munn have an agreement with Escalante City to conduct testing. Nor have they contacted the Utah Dept of Transportation or Garfield County to the best of our knowledge.

Such testing can damage not only structures, but also private wells, and water and sewage lines.

What we don’t know:
Who owns the mineral rights under the property targeted by Munn. Many landowners in Utah do not own mineral rights under their property. Some are held privately, others are held by state or federal government entities or private companies or individuals.

How Munn expects to get water. We have been told by his representative they will either use brine water from drilling or haul water in. Neither of those two options seems logical in this remote and dry location, with Scenic Byway 12 being the only possible truck transportation route.

How Munn expects to move the resource out of town.

How or if Munn plans to protect our fragile water aquifers.

Outside City limits some landowners reportedly have already made agreements with the oil company representatives. For those who have not, please look at the check-list in the next Insider. Oil companies can be potentially be required to pay the cost of some of the damage caused by drilling. But they don't necessarily tell you of those costs before the contracts are signed and sealed."

Many people have already signed up, as is visible in the property maps which are included in the zipped folder. A major issue is that much of the property lies just outside of the Escalante Township but not within Federal Lands.
From what I have been told, the Township has already taken the necessary steps to ensure that Munn has to take the proper steps in terms of permitting at this point, so seismic exploration is temporarily on hold until the proper documents and procedures are followed.

Do you have a link to the FB page?

Do you have a link to the FB page?

I don't as it is a closed community page. I do not believe anyone has made a page dedicated strictly to the issue.
I obtained the quoted post from our own Boulder Community FB page.

As I find more public information I will post links.

Thanks for posting the links, very informative.
Have a look on Google Earth of the Rifle, Co area, and you will see what these companies (the MAN) will do given the chance. Total environmental degradation, all while they smile and say how safe it is (or how many jobs they will produce). You can even light your tap water on fire! What fun! Throw a party and light up the kitchen sink!

My advice to anyone who lives in the area is to fight NOW, with all of your resources. Much of Escalante's future lies in tourism IMO, and taking advantage of a clean, unspoiled environment for all of the rich yuppies to enjoy. Once these gas people have drilled their holes, they take off and leave behind waste, polluted ground water and destruction. And where do you think all of that waste water (And fracking uses a lot of water) is going to end up? Rio Escalante! They do not give a rats ass who or what they harm in their wake.

As an aside:
I was once asked to photograph some drilling sites around Rifle by the Thompson Divide Coalition (a local environmental group), all from public roads, and was followed everywhere I went by an Encana Gas truck. I finally stopped in the middle of the road and walked over to his truck and asked the guy why he was following me, he said that I should be careful what I photographed. I told him I was on a public road, and he could f*ck himself. He just smiled and nearly ran over my feet. My bad i guess. Never tell a guy in a gas company truck (he was carrying too) to try something anatomically impossible.

You should have taken a picture of him and his gun (with gas company logo visible). That would have said everything.

Intuitive Cat-Is there anything an outsider can do?

As an aside:
I was once asked to photograph some drilling sites around Rifle by the Thompson Divide Coalition (a local environmental group), all from public roads, and was followed everywhere I went by an Encana Gas truck. I finally stopped in the middle of the road and walked over to his truck and asked the guy why he was following me, he said that I should be careful what I photographed. I told him I was on a public road, and he could f*ck himself. He just smiled and nearly ran over my feet. My bad i guess. Never tell a guy in a gas company truck (he was carrying too) to try something anatomically impossible.

When was this gnwatts? Sounds very familiar...years ago when I worked for the Colorado Environmental Coalition (now Conservation Colorado), a buddy and I drove around and shot some video of the rigs around the Roan Plateau near Rifle and were followed a few times. I spent a summer in Rifle, lead some hikes up there for CEC and got to fly over with EcoFlight once. 10-acre well pad spacing over there along the base of the Roan Plateau is quite a sight to see from the air.
It would be a shame to see this happen around the Escalante, especially water-intensive fracking. In my years of fighting this battle in Colorado, I learned that these companies have no concern for the people or environment no matter what they say, only the bottom line.

When was this gnwatts? Sounds very familiar...years ago when I worked for the Colorado Environmental Coalition (now Conservation Colorado), a buddy and I drove around and shot some video of the rigs around the Roan Plateau near Rifle and were followed a few times. I spent a summer in Rifle, lead some hikes up there for CEC and got to fly over with EcoFlight once. 10-acre well pad spacing over there along the base of the Roan Plateau is quite a sight to see from the air.
It would be a shame to see this happen around the Escalante, especially water-intensive fracking. In my years of fighting this battle in Colorado, I learned that these companies have no concern for the people or environment no matter what they say, only the bottom line.

It was in the summer of 2012. My intention is not to hijack this thread, but to call attention to the fact that the oil and gas industry is pretty much consistent with it's tactics, no matter where you live. What they are NOT used to is the people organizing in a unified and successful way, which is what has happened here. Ranchers, hippies and environmentalists agree that there are places on this earth that we do not have to drill and destroy. The Escalante area is even more beautiful and pristine, and is worth fighting for.

From the TDC:

the problem with outsiders doing anything is that it is all on private land, hence private decisions not guided by government policy.
If a large organized contingency of regular visitors expresses to the Escalante Township/ Chamber of Commerce that it will negatively effect their tourist dollars, it might have some effect, but i am not even sure that will help as much as many of you would want to believe because most of the people who are signing up are most likely the same ranchers and such who burned the effigy of Clinton when the monument was made.
And this brings up another major point - that tourist dollars do NOT have as high of an impact in this section of Garfield County as people imagine. Ask yourself, how much money do you actually spend when visiting Escalante or Boulder for that matter? Do you understand the cost and resources required to obtain goods and services to be provided to you when you do come and realize that the prices HAVE to be higher in order to cover delivery costs and lower volume sales margins and that most higher prices in the area are not set to gouge tourists but to cover additional operational costs? It is a constant struggle for businesses out here and there are very few ways to earn a living.
We are not the visiting weekend warriors, this is our home and we make due with the struggle because we love being here, whether or not any of you come.
we do not have nearly the volume that other places in Southern Utah have (and we LIKE it that way as it lowers the level of damage caused to the land due to heavier use and keeps development and the kind of sprawl we see in Moab at bay - not to mention that the Escalante Basin simply cannot support such growth.)
Personal experience: my job managing a c-store/ natural foods store nets me a whopping 10 grand a year. ( Thank God for my slowly growing new jewelry side business). Most of us in the tourist industry who do not have tip based jobs live at or below the poverty level down here.
I am currently looking at 20 hours or less of work for the next three months with a possible store closure and loss of income for an entire month or two. and I am a lucky one to have work AT ALL during winter.
I express all of this so that you can all better gauge the actual pragmatic economics of the area, which is absolutely NOTHING like the areas around the major parks.
Tourism money does not effect most of the land owners involved as they are ranchers and would rather see more access to land for personal gain.
whether or not any of us agree with their cultural mindset, it needs to be understood that outsiders telling them how to behave on their own land will not be taken lightly, especially not in a struggling economy with small profit margins.

just my opinion, and i am completely against any of this exploration happening, as we all know it will be an absolute disaster both environmentally and in the economic long run.
We are dealing with people who get angry at anyone who proves themselves to be more intelligent than they are.(the Escalante Red Neck Contingency)
I'm just glad I live in Boulder, where something like this could never happen due to the quality of our local culture and attitude towards the land. (not a utopia, but certainly a higher percentage of people per capita with more enlightened ideas than most of Southern Utah)
We'd have run these folks off immediately, just as we have successfully stopped the Rotenone poisoning of Boulder Creek and regained our water rights back from Trouts Unlimited in regards to the flow to our hydro-electric plant and culinary water.
There are some wonderful people in Escalante and their numbers are growing, but the person who gave me the above documents I shared has been threatened on more than one occasion to get his ass out of town, including the sound of gunshots being left on his voicemail.

I completely understand, which is why I ask first. Utah is a complicated place with the various mindsets (the gunshots on a voicemail doesn't surprise me, unfortunately).

My intention is not to hijack this thread, but to call attention to the fact that the oil and gas industry is pretty much consistent with it's tactics, no matter where you live. What they are NOT used to is the people organizing in a unified and successful way, which is what has happened here. Ranchers, hippies and environmentalists agree that there are places on this earth that we do not have to drill and destroy.

Organizing is key. Getting information out and educating people, especially those that don't like to be educated (delicate task) is paramount. Getting them all on the same page is crucial. Outsiders work behind the scenes and out of sight…..

I understand your point of view. The problem is, most of the area is not "their" land, it is our land. We need to make sure that what these companies are proposing on private land does not negatively affect public lands. The word "outsiders" is curious, if that is the word locals use. Sounds like something from a messed up Twilight Zone episode.

The locals cannot be faulted for choosing such a beautiful place to live, some a hundred or so years ago. How did they know the place would become so important a resource, that is precious to all people?

I for one am happy they can't let their cattle trash the canyons anymore though.

My bad. I thought they have driven the cows out.
I haven't been there in awhile.

If you're approach to the people who own the land is that you are "enlightened" and "more intelligent" and that they are just stupid fawking hicks that don't know enough to come in out of the cold, don't expect to get anything except hard feelings out of them.

- DAA

If you're approach to the people who own the land is that you are "enlightened" and "more intelligent" and that they are just stupid fawking hicks that don't know enough to come in out of the cold, don't expect to get anything except hard feelings out of them.

- DAA

Well said.

All - As mentioned, we do try to avoid the political here on BCP. If we're going to go there on outdoors-related topics, let's keep it respectful and factual and avoid any kind of personal attacks (towards others here or general groups). It seems the only way to tackle such a problem as this would be with broad support and some mutual respect.

Not possible to avoid political issues, if your web site deals with the back country.

Not possible to avoid political issues, if your web site deals with the back country.

I'm not suggesting we avoid them altogether, I'm just saying if we're going to go there...

let's keep it respectful and factual and avoid any kind of personal attacks (towards others here or general groups).

I don't have much to contribute by way of a solution, but stating what I think everyone already knows and has kind of said this is hard issue to deal with. I grew in Kanab where the population thinks about the same - half for environment and the other half for mineral extraction.
Sadly, the only way to be heard today is to be the loudest voice. Mineral extraction has the loudest voice because they can scream economic development (whether or not it really does help a small economy is debatable). The side that wants to protect the environment has a huge uphill battle to make sure their voice is even considered.
It's a scary deal.
I helped with a study put on by Arizona State last year that was based around the GSENM and tourism. We met with citizens of all the communities around the monument. We met with tourism boardmembers, which was frightening because most of the leaders of the various tourism boards were more concerned about "getting the land back" for mineral extraction.
This evirnomental/mineral extraction is such an impossible issue to deal with. It takes a very loud voice, the kind that pisses off the other side, to get your point across.
What that voice is I don't know. I did just finish reading The Monkey Wrench Gang...
No, jokes. I can't read.
I'd like to help if anyone sees anything to help out with. And I sit somewhere in the middle of the issue, but this area doesn't deserve to have this happen to it.