Plan for Visiting/Shooting Coyote Buttes North

jdgibney

So, one of the highlights of our trip Oct 4-16 is that we got permits for Coyote Buttes North Friday oct 12.
I've been there once, but we only visited the wave, for the most part. I'm looking to explore more of the area, especially: the boneyard
Second wave
Melody Arch
Sand Cove
The wave
Anything else you'd suggest

I'd love suggestions on a possible route/itinerary to best see and photograph these spots for the best light. I'm eager to get there as early as possible, we will see how that goes...
Thanks in advance!

I know IntrepidXJ took some amazing pictures of melody arch several trips ago and of course you saw his last trip out there I hope so I think he would be best to answer this question!

Melody Arch- I could be wrong but what I recall you would need late afternoon for melody.
Second Wave- late afternoon is also the prime time. Too many choices, not enough good sun when you are at CBN!
Wave- Unless you want shadows morning and afternoons are bad
Sand Cove- When I was at Sand Cove it really overcast so I cant comment on best light.

I think late mid-day and afternoon/evening is the best light out there. Sand Cove is good during the winter when the sun is at a low angle in the south but otherwise I think mid-day.

Melody it not too tough to climb up to if you are comfortable walking on steep slickrock (it's kinda hidden though, so be patient.) Actually... I recommend walking around the eastern side of Top Rock for better light earlier in the day and then up the draw which leads up to Melody and the other arch. Also -- don't miss the cool sand dune alcove. From there you can make the steep descent into Sand Cove and loop back to the Wave (via Second Wave and Hamburger Rock.)

Truth is -- be ready to spend a lot of the day walking back and forth and exploring if you really want to take it all in!

The draw from the south which leads to Melody Arch:
To_TopRock.jpg

The Sand Dune Alcove:
To_TopRock2.jpg

So, one of the highlights of our trip Oct 4-16 is that we got permits for Coyote Buttes North Friday oct 12.
I've been there once, but we only visited the wave, for the most part. I'm looking to explore more of the area, especially: the boneyard
Second wave
Melody Arch
Sand Cove
The wave
Anything else you'd suggest

I'd love suggestions on a possible route/itinerary to best see and photograph these spots for the best light. I'm eager to get there as early as possible, we will see how that goes...
Thanks in advance!

Photography in Cottonwood Cove is always great and it seems to be one of the left over stops for the unlucky wave lottery participants.

From wnorton using an iPad and Tapatalk HD.

I like Jammer's idea. The light on the east side of Top Rock is killer in the morning. Head over there first thing, maybe even drop into Sand Cove from the south and make your way back for the other stuff later in the day.