Pine Creek for newbies?

Laura

freespirittraveler
Hi All,

Stan and I are planning a trip to Utah for next May (yes, I like to plan way, way out ahead) and one thing I've always wanted to check off my bucket list before I get too old is to do Pine Creek. I especially want to shoot in the Cathedral. Except we've only done two slot canyons, Keyhole and Echo, in 2015. The plan is to take a refresher canyoneering class, do Keyhole as a warm up and work out the kinks, then Pine Creek the next day. Does this sound reasonable, or does it sound likely that we will become one of the sad stories you read about (Pine Creek has the most fatalities of all the Zion slots).

Any advice is appreciated!

Laura

Lots of people do Pine Creek without enough experience, but I don't recommend it. The last rap is the biggest problem. 100 feet, totally free hanging right from the start. Lots of rescues happen there. If you don't have plenty of experience with longer free raps, then I would get it elsewhere first. Also, the rap into the Cathedral is kind of sketchy to get to the bolts. Not that bad but it's a good idea to have a cowtail that you can reach out and clip into it. That would be an easy place to take a fall without it. With all that said, lots of people would disagree with me but I err on the side of caution when it comes to canyoneering.

Lots of people do Pine Creek without enough experience, but I don't recommend it. The last rap is the biggest problem. 100 feet, totally free hanging right from the start. Lots of rescues happen there. If you don't have plenty of experience with longer free raps, then I would get it elsewhere first. Also, the rap into the Cathedral is kind of sketchy to get to the bolts. Not that bad but it's a good idea to have a cowtail that you can reach out and clip into it. That would be an easy place to take a fall without it. With all that said, lots of people would disagree with me but I err on the side of caution when it comes to canyoneering.

Thanks Nick, I do too. Looks like we will move to plan B, something else. What would you recommend after Echo? I checked out Joe Braun's site and looks like he thinks the top down Subway is a good next canyon. I checked out Pine Creek, too. Damn those pics are cool.....

Last edited:
YES! Top down Subway is great. Technically no more difficult than Keyhole but physically it is way harder (but totally worth it). If you're feeling comfortable with longer raps but don't want to jump straight to free-hanging, try the optional Russell Gulch entrance. It has three consecutive 100-foot raps, the last of which is probably 80% free-hanging but it starts out much easier than the free rap in Pine Creek. Or just do the regular route. You can't go wrong. Just remember that once you get done with the wetsuit/tech section, you still have the most physically demanding 3 miles of the route to get out.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
priz1234 Pine River, Lake Creek, Flint Creek Loop San Juan. 7/3-7/5 Backpacking 6
ram A Christmas Pine Creek/Keyhole Canyoneering 1
Tim Valentine Big Pine Creek Eastern Sierra Backpacking 10
McKee80 TR: Bear Lakes Basin Pine Creek TH 09-05/11-19 Backpacking 14
fossana Pine Creek/Granite Park fall excursion (High Sierra) Hiking & Camping 14
cmgz Pine Valley Mts.-Water Canyon to Mill Creek Backpacking 0
Bill Pine Creek 9.2012 Canyoneering 10
Ross Invite Pine Creek, Misery Canyon or The Subway (Zion area) Meet Up (Members Only) 1
Ross Trip partners for south-west Utah (Pine Creek,Misery,Bull Valley etc) Trip Planning 0
wabenho Big Pine Lakes – John Muir Wilderness Backpacking 6
wsp_scott Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest Hiking & Camping 1
fossana Browns Point > Summit > Whipple loop (Pine Valley Mountains Wilderness, UT) Hiking & Camping 1
Ugly Wednesday Night's Red Pine Winter Sports 2
danger02ward White Pine Lake Logan Canyon Backpacking 2
Red Rock Rangers Backpacking Pine Valley Mountains Backpacking 5
Bigred72 Red Pine Lake Backpacking 1
Jackson Red Pine Lake Backpacking 6
Parma Pine Island Lake - Grandaddy Basin Backpacking 1
natylka White Pine-July 2014 Hiking & Camping 6
natylka Red Pine-July 2014 Hiking & Camping 0
Nick Limber Pine & Tony Grove Hiking & Camping 8
toejam Mission Pine Ridge Hiking & Camping 5
regehr Hiker death in White Pine, Little Cottonwood General Discussion 0
andyjaggy white pine lake. Trip Planning 8
steve Snowshoeing American Fork Canyon - Pine Hollow to Tibble Fork Res Hiking & Camping 10
gnwatts Pine and Step Canyon. 2006 & 2013 Hiking & Camping 7
Tyler Red Pine (Wasatch) Hiking & Camping 5
HomerJ White Pine Lake, Cache Valley - July 2008 Backpacking 2
rinats Canyonlands/Needles: Salt Creek to Chesler Park Trip Planning 6
shredhiker Slough Creek mid June? Trip Planning 11
Spud Salt Creek Canyon question Trip Planning 11
BobFink Mirror Plateau via Pelican Valley and Pelican Creek, July / August 2023 Backpacking 12
Janice Such a GRAND Canyon - Deer Creek / Tapeats / Thunder River Backpacking 21
Jackson Little Rock Creek Backpacking 5
scatman Yellowstone's Thorofare, Headwaters of Thorofare Creek, Majo Pass, Younts Peak, Bob's Canyon, and Cub Creek - August 9, 2023 - Days 7 through 10 Backpacking 34
scatman Yellowstone's Thorofare, Headwaters of Thorofare Creek, Majo Pass, Younts Peak, Bob's Canyon, and Cub Creek - August 9, 2023 - Days 1 through 6 Backpacking 56
J South Crandall Creek and the Hoodoos Wyoming and Yellowstone? Trip Planning 3
CodyL Maple Creek or Duck Creek Drainages-YNP Trip Planning 0
J Pacific Creek or North Buffalo Fork? Teton Wilderness, Thorofare ,etc. Trip Planning 10
I Rescue Creek - Yellowstone National Park - June 3, 2023 Backpacking 15
Dreamer Slough Creek - YNP - 6/5-7/23 Backpacking 3
shredhiker Blacktail Creek June 2023 Backpacking 4
Dreamer Rescue Creek -YNP - 6/3-5/23 Backpacking 3
shredhiker Slough Creek May 2023 Backpacking 11
scatman Rescue Creek - Yellowstone National Park - June 3, 2023 Backpacking 56
Gretchen Millward Trachyte Creek via Woodruff Canyon, April 2023 Backpacking 9
I Slough Creek - Yellowstone June 5 & 6 Meet Up (Members Only) 19
scatman City Creek Loop - April 23, 2023 Hiking & Camping 8
F Thorofare/South Boundary/Wolverine Creek Trip Planning 2
scatman Rescue Creek - Yellowstone National Park Meet Up (Members Only) 19