Pine Creek 9.2012

Bill

When I woke up in Watchman I was a little sore from doing Fat Mans Misery the day before so it was a good thing this was going to be a soft day of Keyhole for breakfast followed by an afternoon in Pine Creek. Keyhole was short, sweet, and full of water. The highlight was doing the back stroke all the out of the slanted corridor. I didn't take my camera for that one so I have no proof that I was really there. Once back in the car a few of us bailed out before the tunnel and camped out in parking spot while the rest of the group set up the shuttle. One sandwich later we were headed down pine creek where everything was tip top full.

Once we reached the Cathedral I was a little intimidated, I had been wanting to get a shot of someone rappelling within the chamber for quite sometime and it was very dark and very full of water. The first few people in our group went down at it looked like a swimmer.... crap. I made it down and dog paddled all over trying to find something, anything to stand on so i shoot. Luckily I found a tiny mushy little sand bar about 4.5' down that I was able to stabilize myself on. I turned my pack around carefully remove my camera from the double dry bags and began shooting. Trying to stay upright with a large water logged pack on my stomach while shooting in a wet suit was fairly difficult. The end result was this photo of lostlandscapes coming down the rappel, a hand held vertical panorama shot at 11mm, 1/15, f2.8, ISO800, with a Canon 7D.

The Great Cathedral of Pine Creek

Tim in Pine Creek

By the time I had everything packed away the rest of the group had moved on and I was a bit behind and once I caught up with them there had already set up the second to last rappel. We ran into a small traffic jam on the last rap but it was just enough time for a snack. I was one of the first down the last rap so I set up my tripod and took a few sequence shots as the rest of the group came down.

Pine Creek - Zion National Park

We wrapped things up with a boulder hopping fiesta followed but a quick dip in the Pine Creek Swimming hole. Shutter credit goes to Tim on this last one, thanks for shooting me.

Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

I just figured you were showing how much fun your trip is GOING to be!

Great shot's of the cathedral.:twothumbs: I wanted to show my wife some pics of it but I drowned my camera in keyhole and my head cam wasn't getting enough light for quality pics.

Great shot's of the cathedral.:twothumbs: I wanted to show my wife some pics of it but I drowned my camera in keyhole and my head cam wasn't getting enough light for quality pics.

What! I didn't know this...that's just horrible!

I remember those photos from flickr and they were what gave me a wild hair to learn canyoneering!! Seeing them again makes me think about adding a canyoneering class when I do my Utah photo safari in August :cool:

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
priz1234 Pine River, Lake Creek, Flint Creek Loop San Juan. 7/3-7/5 Backpacking 6
ram A Christmas Pine Creek/Keyhole Canyoneering 1
Tim Valentine Big Pine Creek Eastern Sierra Backpacking 10
McKee80 TR: Bear Lakes Basin Pine Creek TH 09-05/11-19 Backpacking 14
fossana Pine Creek/Granite Park fall excursion (High Sierra) Hiking & Camping 14
Laura Pine Creek for newbies? Trip Planning 5
cmgz Pine Valley Mts.-Water Canyon to Mill Creek Backpacking 0
Ross Invite Pine Creek, Misery Canyon or The Subway (Zion area) Meet Up (Members Only) 1
Ross Trip partners for south-west Utah (Pine Creek,Misery,Bull Valley etc) Trip Planning 0
wabenho Big Pine Lakes – John Muir Wilderness Backpacking 6
wsp_scott Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest Hiking & Camping 1
fossana Browns Point > Summit > Whipple loop (Pine Valley Mountains Wilderness, UT) Hiking & Camping 1
Ugly Wednesday Night's Red Pine Winter Sports 2
danger02ward White Pine Lake Logan Canyon Backpacking 2
Red Rock Rangers Backpacking Pine Valley Mountains Backpacking 5
Bigred72 Red Pine Lake Backpacking 1
Jackson Red Pine Lake Backpacking 6
Parma Pine Island Lake - Grandaddy Basin Backpacking 1
natylka White Pine-July 2014 Hiking & Camping 6
natylka Red Pine-July 2014 Hiking & Camping 0
Nick Limber Pine & Tony Grove Hiking & Camping 8
toejam Mission Pine Ridge Hiking & Camping 5
regehr Hiker death in White Pine, Little Cottonwood General Discussion 0
andyjaggy white pine lake. Trip Planning 8
steve Snowshoeing American Fork Canyon - Pine Hollow to Tibble Fork Res Hiking & Camping 10
gnwatts Pine and Step Canyon. 2006 & 2013 Hiking & Camping 7
Tyler Red Pine (Wasatch) Hiking & Camping 5
HomerJ White Pine Lake, Cache Valley - July 2008 Backpacking 2
rinats Canyonlands/Needles: Salt Creek to Chesler Park Trip Planning 6
shredhiker Slough Creek mid June? Trip Planning 11
Spud Salt Creek Canyon question Trip Planning 11
BobFink Mirror Plateau via Pelican Valley and Pelican Creek, July / August 2023 Backpacking 12
Janice Such a GRAND Canyon - Deer Creek / Tapeats / Thunder River Backpacking 21
Jackson Little Rock Creek Backpacking 5
scatman Yellowstone's Thorofare, Headwaters of Thorofare Creek, Majo Pass, Younts Peak, Bob's Canyon, and Cub Creek - August 9, 2023 - Days 7 through 10 Backpacking 34
scatman Yellowstone's Thorofare, Headwaters of Thorofare Creek, Majo Pass, Younts Peak, Bob's Canyon, and Cub Creek - August 9, 2023 - Days 1 through 6 Backpacking 56
J South Crandall Creek and the Hoodoos Wyoming and Yellowstone? Trip Planning 3
CodyL Maple Creek or Duck Creek Drainages-YNP Trip Planning 0
J Pacific Creek or North Buffalo Fork? Teton Wilderness, Thorofare ,etc. Trip Planning 10
I Rescue Creek - Yellowstone National Park - June 3, 2023 Backpacking 15
Dreamer Slough Creek - YNP - 6/5-7/23 Backpacking 3
shredhiker Blacktail Creek June 2023 Backpacking 4
Dreamer Rescue Creek -YNP - 6/3-5/23 Backpacking 3
shredhiker Slough Creek May 2023 Backpacking 11
scatman Rescue Creek - Yellowstone National Park - June 3, 2023 Backpacking 56
Gretchen Millward Trachyte Creek via Woodruff Canyon, April 2023 Backpacking 9
I Slough Creek - Yellowstone June 5 & 6 Meet Up (Members Only) 19
scatman City Creek Loop - April 23, 2023 Hiking & Camping 8
F Thorofare/South Boundary/Wolverine Creek Trip Planning 2
scatman Rescue Creek - Yellowstone National Park Meet Up (Members Only) 19