Pictures appearing desaturated

Discussion in 'Questions, Suggestions & Support' started by pixie1339, Jun 28, 2015.

1. pixie1339

pixie1339 Desperately Seeking Sandstone

This is the first time I've ever had this issue, but when I attached a picture to a post today the colors appeared desaturated. Though the picture size is smaller, ordinarily the colors are true to the original. I went back and boosted the saturation a couple times on the version I saved for the web, and it helped a little, but the picture still doesn't look like it should. Any suggestions?

2. Nick

Nick Post 'em if you got 'em!

Check your color profile settings. We recently had an issue with one user where images exported from Lightroom in Adobe RGB 16-bit (not default) came up with an odd color cast. We did some research and found it was a widespread issue with that profile. When exported in regular old sRGB 8-bit, they looked great. That was true on any website tested, not just BCP. It would only occur when the image was resized, be it through software in the uploader, or dynamically resized by the web page.

pixie1339 likes this.
  3. Nick

If that doesn't fix it, try uploading elsewhere like your site or flickr, then link to that here and upload a copy. If I can see side by side it's just a BCP issue, it's a lot easier to track down the problem.

pixie1339 likes this.
  4. Nick

Artemus and pixie1339 like this.
  5. pixie1339

Hmmm...I edited it on Photoshop CC. I can check the profile to see what it's saving as, but it's really strange because I haven't changed software or settings. The one change I did make on this one is that a lot of the time I edit first in Lightroom then apply any finishing touches in Photoshop. I had to do some focus stacking on this one so I started in Photoshop and stayed there.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

6. Nick

Email me a copy so I can figure out if it's BCP doing something?

pixie1339 likes this.
  7. pixie1339

Okay, I'll send over the original and the one where I boosted the saturation so you can see the difference.

Nick likes this.
  8. gnwatts

gnwatts Member

I always save images for the web in sRGB, but I shoot the RAW image in Adobe RGB.

Michael, Dave and pixie1339 like this.
  9. Nick

I sent pixie some detailed info sideband, but for anyone who might run into similar issues: This issue is fixed by simply resizing your photos at least a little down from full res before uploading. If you try to upload the full res file, it does appear to suck a bit of saturation out, but if you resize to half size or closer to 1000-2000px max width, no changes occur. The photos in question here were being uploaded at roughly 5000px X 3000px. I usually export my images for web at 1600px max width and they turn out fine. Sometimes I resize down to 850 max width which is what the BCP software does no matter what you give it. I'm doing some searching to see if we can't handle the full res files without affecting the saturation, but for the time being, please export your files to a more web-friendly size before uploading to ensure that the color and appearance remains intact.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention Lisa. :)

pixie1339, Dave and Artemus like this.
  10. pixie1339

As stated in my reply to Nick's email, I was already resizing, just not small enough. Don't be afraid to go small folks.:) Thanks for your help Nick!

gnwatts likes this.
  11. Nick

I guess small is a relative term, but don't go too small! We like big pictures! Like I said, the pics causing issues were more than 5000 pixels wide by 3000 pixels tall. That's close to max res for most cameras. I didn't test with every file size, but anything half that size is still nearly 4 times larger than what can be displayed on here anyway, but it won't mess up the colors when we crunch the file. So yes, if your file size is measured in megabytes and double digit megapixels, go small, but for maximum view-ability don't go smaller than 850-1000 pixels on the long end. Keep those kind of 'big' pics coming! :)

gnwatts and pixie1339 like this.