Photo highlights from an old Utah trip

Ross

Wasn't sure where to post this, so chose here rather than trip reports (unless Nick wants to move it there) because although it was one vacation some years ago it's a hotch potch of some favourite desert places, all pretty well known, and I hope nice eye candy.
I've put them on because I was looking back at some old pics I took with a cheap compact camera, but now with the benefit of learning to use basic photoshop years later, I've been able to reveal what the camera couldn't cope with in the high light contrast and which it previously reduced to dark or black shadow - even though my eyes saw the scene. So now many are looking more like the real thing I thought some were worth posting - hope you like them

resizedhorizontalp1070647imp.jpg

resizedhorizontalp1070726imp.jpg

resizedverticalp1070805imp.jpg

resizedvertical303panoimp.jpg

resizedverticalcimg5417imp3.jpg

NOTE THE HUMAN IN THE ARCH IN PHOTO BELOW GIVING SCALE

resizedverticalp1070757imp.jpg

resizedverticalp1070925imp.jpg

resizedhorizontalp1080109imp2.jpg

resizedhorizontalp1080106imp.jpg

resizedhorizontalp1070961imp.jpg

resizedhorizontalp1080099imp.jpg

resizedhorizontalp1070557imp.jpg

resizedhorizontalp1070804imp.jpg

resizedhorizontalp1080052imp.jpg

resizedhorizontalp1070930imp.jpg

resizedvertical300imp.jpg

resizedvertical068.jpg

resizedverticalp1070293imp.jpg

resizedverticalp1070928imp 2.jpg

resizedverticalp1080045imp.jpg

resizedverticalp1080065imp.jpg

resizedverticalp1080116imp2.jpg

CIMG5415imp.jpg

resizedverticalp1080061imp.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing. That first pic looks like The Wedge.

that first pick is bona fide Grand Canyon, from the Kaibab all the way down to the Redwall. don't they call the area below the Wedge the Little Grand Canyon though? i've never been.

Thanks for the dose of desert. I sometimes think that I should go back to the files from our initial desert trips in the early 2000's and have a go at re-doing them. Like you I was a digital newbie then, with 2 mp and JPEG only. Having said that, an image of Calf Creek Falls from that camera still graces our living room wall- the lighting was perfect and I got it right as well.
Actually, a better plan might be to revisit some of those places......

that first pick is bona fide Grand Canyon, from the Kaibab all the way down to the Redwall. don't they call the area below the Wedge the Little Grand Canyon though? i've never been.
I discounted the Grand Canyon because he said Utah. There are places at the Wedge that look somewhat like that but on a smaller scale. It's worth a visit. I can be there in 2.5 hours from Salt Lake.

Also, I had taken Ross to The Wedge two summers ago.

Yes, @Ben that is the Grand Canyon, but the ridges do look very similar to the Little Grand Canyon (The Wedge) - as you can see in the Wedge pics attached below, from my visit with @Glasterpiece - if your Grand Canyon view isn't showing the full north to south width. I'm not sure if The Wedge is similar redwall rock? As Jack said, well worth a visit. But Jack was right, I may have been misleading saying Utah, although I'm not sure if the Grand Canyon's North Rim is Utah or Arizona (I'll check a map).

572.jpg

550 imp.jpg

535 pano best.jpg

[QUOTE="SteveR, post: I sometimes think that I should go back to the files from our initial desert trips in the early 2000's and have a go at re-doing them. Like you I was a digital newbie then, with 2 mp and JPEG only. Having said that, an image of Calf Creek Falls from that camera still graces our living room wall- the lighting was perfect and I got it right as well.
Actually, a better plan might be to revisit some of those places......[/QUOTE]

Ha, ha. It's worth it. Time consuming, but fun when you find a little gem. Some I should have deleted back then, but now a few are even worth printing. These were jpegs, but more than 2mp, but as you say the scene, composition and lighting is what usually makes a favourite regardless of camera quality although you can always improve it. It's just my cheap compact misses out on that extra sharpness but that's the secondary part as long as it does a reasonably good job
And something not too exciting in the first place will rarely become a real cracker even with improvement.

You should post a pic of your Calf Creek falls shot - even if it's a pic of your living room wall. Maybe there's a thread to be started there in the photos forum.....shots that achieved a place on home walls