Permanent permethrin treatment

JoshuaDyal

I know that the "factory treated" permethrin stuff, like you can buy from ExOfficio and many other brands, is supposed to last for a good 50 washings; essentially, the expected lifetime of the clothing. If you buy the Sawyer stuff, it lasts for 4-6 washings; essentially maybe one summer of hiking, at most?

How do you treat your clothes to have the more permanent permethrin bonding? Can you buy stuff that's longer lasting than the Sawyer stuff, and if so, where do you get it?

Would like to know as well. I thought about treating a merino wool shirt. You don't have to wash merino as often but afraid it may deteriorate the wool. Has to be something beneficial to doing it in the manufacturing process, same dilemma with dwr treatments.

Everything added to cloth will eventually wash out...... Just spray when you need it..... :)

If the claims are true of commercially applied permethrin; that it lasts for 50-70 washes, it will eventually wash out, yes... about the same time that the clothing falls apart anyway. Meanwhile, spending $20+ every single time I go hiking just for a permethrin treatment, which is a pain to apply over and over again, is something I'm tired of. If it's a permethrin treatment, it can be replicated. I presume that they use something much more like the un-diluted stuff that you get at feed stores and dilute it to some other concentration than Sawyer does. But, remarkably, I'm having a hard time finding anyone who can tell me anything about it.

Where do you go to need permethian...... usually use that for tick areas, DEET for mosquitos......

There is a company that treats clothing to approximately the same level as the OEM treated clothing. I don't know the name of the company. I think they are in Florida. GOOGLE knows.
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Meanwhile, spending $20+ every single time I go hiking just for a permethrin treatment
What the? You're applying way too much, way too often! I treat all my hiking clothes once each spring.

I know about the Insect Defense deal where you send your clothes. I had read in the past about people buying permethrin from feed stores and doing "permanent" treatment of their clothes, but I can't find any details on how to do it anymore. That's what I was looking for.

Can't help on that one.....I remember seeing details years ago as well. Heck, I rarely use DEET, except down Bechler in Yellowstone.