Pedernal

SKLund

The official name on the map is Cerro Pedernal which translates to Flint Hill in Spanish. Folks around here just call it Pedernal, and it is universally understood what that means. It can been seen from just about anywhere in North Central New Mexico because of it’s characteristic narrow and flat summit, and because there simply isn’t anything that blocks the view. Thus on a good day the peak can be visible a hundred or more miles away.

From Forest Road 151 bordering Chama River Canyon, SK Lund 2016
DSC_0036.jpg

The mountain is in important in pre-history and in art. It has been used as a source of flint for making projectile points for 12,000 years. Pedernal Chert, as it is called, has been found as far away as Canada. The artist Georgia O’Keeffe painted the mountain several times and she identified it as “her mountain”. Her ashes were scattered on the summit upon her passing in 1986.

View from Pueblo Mesa, SK Lund 2013
pedernalV2.jpg

Thus Pedernal is place of importance based on it’s history, visibility, and unique countenance and, of course, it is of intense interest to hikers and climbers.

Hikers in Plaza Blanca. Pedernal on the horizon across the Chama River. SK Lund, 2016
exiting_the_canyon.jpg

The hike and climb of Pedernal is an intermediate affair with great rewards for the effort. It is between 3 and 8 miles and 600 to 1900 feet of elevation gain depending on where you start. If you have a highly qualified 4x4, you can drive right up to the base of the peak. That misses the point in my opinion because you pass by the chert quarry among other places of interest. My suggestion is to either go the long way on the dirt road (8 miles), or modify your route by cutting North on an unused mining track to it’s end point, then heading cross country up to the meadow that borders the peak. I was able to surprise a herd of elk in the meadow by going this way. The elk were not happy but I was.

Once you reach the base, look for an area that is relatively free of brush. This is your route and there is a decent social trail up to the base of the cap rock. Once there, follow the trail to a point where there is a juniper branch leaned up against the rock. On the rock is a faded arrow painted in the direction you need to go. That direction is up. About the rock climbing portion. There has been much hand wringing about the difficulty of this section. Some say Class 4, others Class 3. After careful analysis of slope angle and hand holds I can announce that the majority of reasonably fit humans can do it without any problems. The first move is the hardest and it is Class 4 with bomber hand holds. Those folks with less then normal upper body strength or short of stature may have some difficulty here but once past the initial move, the slope quickly evens out to Class 3 with low exposure. If your companions are unsure they can do it, perhaps an added "butt belay" will help. Once on top you will be on a 20 to 30 foot wide, basalt mesa. Hang a left and head for the summit about 200 yards away across rough sections of rock. Try to avoid a face plant. The views will compete for your attention. The Chama River Valley and red wall cliffs of the Colorado Plateau spread out before you.

To get to Pedernal, first go to Abiquiu, New Mexico on Highway 84. Stop at Bode's General Store. (everyone does) Turn left on Highway 96, then go 11 miles North to Forest Road 100. Go another 5.5 miles to Forest Road 160. Things start to get rough after a mile or so. If you have a regular passenger vehicle park at the junction of 160 and 100. Otherwise continue as far as you are comfortable. I usually go another mile or two before parking. Map reference follows:
Click here to view on CalTopo
Route 1 is the shorter of the two at about 7.43 miles. About 1.5 miles is rough cross country.This is my preferred route of the two.

Route 2 is the longer of the routes at 8 miles from a mile or so past the junction of Forest Roads 100 and 160. It is on the forest road the whole way except for the social trail to the summit. All mileages are round trip.

The following photos are from a trip I did in May of 2016 with Carol and David. Photo credits are assigned to the uploader.

https://www.meetup.com/Santa-Fe-Over-50-Outdoors/photos/26980658/

...and another one from September 26th with Val, Jon, and Meghan.

https://www.meetup.com/Santa-Fe-Over-50-Outdoors/photos/27297907/

Happy and safe travels.

Last edited:
Back