Parunuweap Canyon

28.jpg

The Indian name of the canyon is Paru'nuweap, or Roaring Water Canyon. Between the little river and the foot of the walls is a dense growth of willows, vines, and wild rosebushes, and with great difficulty we make our way through this tangled mass. It is not a wide stream-- only 20 or 30 feet across in most places; shallow, but very swift. After spending some hours in breaking our way through the mass of vegetation and climbing rocks here and there, it is determined to wade along the stream. In some places this is an easy task, but here and there we come to deep holes where we have to wade to our armpits. Soon we come to places so narrow that the river fills the channel and we wade perforce. In many places the bottom is a quicksand, into which we sink, and it is with great difficulty that we make progress. In some places the holes are so deep that we have to swim, and our little bundles of blankets and rations are fixed to a raft made of driftwood and pushed before us. Now and then there is a little flood-plain, on which we can walk, and we cross and recross the stream and wade along the channel where the water is so swift as almost to carry us off our feet and were are in danger every moment of being swept down, until night comes on. Finding a little patch of flood-plain, on which there is a huge pile of driftwood and a clump of box-elders, and near by a mammoth stream bursting from the rocks, we soon have a huge fire. Our clothes are spread to dry; we make a cup of coffee, take out our bread and cheese and dried beef, and enjoy a hearty supper. We estimate that we have traveled eight miles to-day.

Wading again this morning; sinking in the quicksand, swimming the deep waters, and making slow and painful progress where the waters are swift and the bed of the stream rocky.

The canyon is steadily becoming deeper and in many places very narrow-- only 20 or 30 feet wide below, and in some places no wider, and even narrower, for hundreds of feet overhead.

The canyon here is about 1,200 feet deep. It has been very narrow and winding all the way down to this point.

There are places where the river in sweeping by curves has cut far under the rocks, but still preserves its narrow channel, so that there is an overhanging wall on one side and an inclined wall on the other. In places a few hundred feet above, it becomes vertical again, and thus the view to the sky is entirely closed. Everywhere this deep passage is dark and gloomy and resounds with the noise of rapid waters. At noon we are in a canyon 2,500 feet deep, and we come to a fall where the walls are broken down and huge rocks beset the channel, on which we obtain a foothold to reach a level 200 feet below. Here the canyon is again wider, and we find a flood-plain along which we can walk, now on this, now on that side of the stream. Gradually the canyon widens; steep rapids, cascades, and cataracts are found along the river, but we wade only where it is necessary to cross. We make progress with very great labor, having to climb over piles of broken rocks.

-Journal of John Wesley Powell
1.jpg 45.jpg

43.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

41.jpg

40.jpg

39.jpg

25.jpg

24.jpg

23.jpg

22.jpg

21.jpg

20.jpg

19.jpg

17.jpg

16.jpg

2.jpg

7.jpg

6.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

Background
Several years ago a buddy recommended a book about John Wesley Powell, I read it and instantly Powell became a hero of mine so then I read another book on him and another and... When I found out that one of the Canyons of the Colorado he explored was near me I instantly began researching and planning, finally I was able to visit Parunuweap Canyon!

My Route-
I entered Parunuweap via French/Cliff Canyon camped near the confluence of French and Parunuweap, day hiked down to Misery Canyon and entered it from the bottom for a bit, then continued to below the Powell Plaque but had to turn around before Labyrinth Falls (lacked proper gear/ability) on day one. Day two explored Poverty Wash then hiked upstream to Rock Canyon where we exited.

Confluence with French Canyon
27.jpg
Highlights- Everything!! But other than everything just before and after the Powell Plaque, Misery and I loved the end of Poverty Wash!! Between French and Rock Canyon Parunuweap isnt super spectacular. Its nice but nothing like around the Powell Plaque but to see Poverty the easiest way is via a French entrance.

Upper Poverty Wash below
38.jpg

36.jpg

35.jpg

34.jpg

33.jpg

32.jpg

31.jpg

30.jpg

29.jpg

Misery Canyon Below
8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

Warnings-
-Class 3 scrambling in a few parts in both French and Rock Canyon entrance/exits. With two people pretty easy to pass packs (probably could do it without removing packs but why risk it?) with one person probably bring some webbing.
-Lots of poison ivy in the tributaries
-Water was still flowing (late May)a bit too much to climb up and over the rock/log jam mentioned in the listed links but the rabbit hole bypass wasnt very bad and was safer than trying to go through the fall.

Waterfall Obstacle-
5.jpg

Unreachable Anasazi Ruins
26.jpg
Helpful links/people
-Yahoo Zion Group,
-http://www.canyoneeringusa.com/utah/zion/technical/rock-canyon/ (used this for the driving and trailhead/end information
-http://www.zionnational-park.com/parunuweap-hike.htm
-http://www.citrusmilo.com/zionguide/barracks.cfm
-Bo Beck and the Desert Rat

Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

Just from the little I know Powell was an amazing person, and I haven't even read any books about him. Parunuweap has been on my list for a while but I was told it's closed to the public by the BLM. Is it open now?

Great report. This canyon is high on my to-do list and your pics only push it higher.

If you're interested in Powell or western history @Laura, pick up Wallace Stegner's Beyond the 100th Meridian. Stegner's well researched and fair. Lower Parunuweap is closed because it enters the boundaries of Zion NP. The upper East Fork of the Virgin is open to access.

Thanks for the trip report. We will be hiking the canyon from Mt. Carmel exiting at Checkerboard Mesa in just under two weeks. Really looking forward to it, especially after reading your report.

I've researched a lot about this canyon mainly because Powell specifically explored it.
Just from the little I know Powell was an amazing person, and I haven't even read any books about him. Parunuweap has been on my list for a while but I was told it's closed to the public by the BLM. Is it open now?

Explorations is Powells description of the exploration of the green and the canyons around it. I would definitely recommend it.

From what I've been able to gather, Parunaweep isn't ever necessarily closed it's that there is no rescue. It enters Zion NP and the park does not permit people, at this time, to descend beyond the falls close to the plaque do to its technicality and the virtual impossibility of rescue beyond that point.

Great TR and thanks for sharing. Now I need to explore this one as well

I love Paunaweep!

Seldom....looks like good trip, need to do a couple dayer so I can go again!. JTMiller, drive to the roads end and park, don't go from the Mt Carmel and the highway...also cows in the upper part and when I went the deer flies were thick! No, the canyon below Labrinyth is closed for 'wildlife habitat study' . There are bolts by the falls for anchors, but you rap in the water....

If you're interested in Powell or western history @Laura, pick up Wallace Stegner's Beyond the 100th Meridian. Stegner's well researched and fair.

I love Wallace Stegner! I think this will be my summer reading book for my upcoming Utah trip, thanks! :dance:

Soooooo awesome man! That little stretch between Misery and the Powell exit is such a tease. I really need to get this on my calendar and get it done!

Awesome report, Seldom! :)
Looks like a great adventure.
Another cool stuff for me.

Gesendet von meinem HTC One X mit Tapatalk 2

Awesome report, Seldom! :)
Looks like a great adventure.
Another cool stuff for me.

Gesendet von meinem HTC One X mit Tapatalk 2

I was just down there Saturday, technical Rock to French...the DEER FLIES WERE EVERYWHERE! My legs were eaten alive

Nice pics. I have never even heard of this canyon. wow. I read Powell's journal from his first trip down the colorado. great read! Thanks for the beta this looks great.

Anyone out there know of any effective methods to keep the deer flies away - chemical or otherwise? I haven't had real good luck with insect repellents. Maybe I haven't used the right type.

long pants, long sleeve shirts, no seeum head netting, gloves........ DEET works a little, Permethrin maybe. Don't hike till they are gone :cry:

Tons of research done by "us" in the military. 3Ms Ultrathon lotion is the result. it uses DEET. the lotion is slow release which is very important since DEET has a high vapor pressure. I buy it at sportsman warehouse but I know it is on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002JVB44E/?tag=backcountrypo-20

And once again this isn't my opinion from a few trips I took. Mucho dollars and research by military Entomologists produced this. Search "Repellent to use" on this site

I still use the old 'surplus' Army liquid DEET ....... never fails me, but boy is it greasy.

Amazing report! Was it difficult to get the permits? I've heard that you really need to schedule early for Zion.