Owls

AustinCronnelly

Butte Rat
Does anyone else like Owls? My wife has always liked owls and in turn, I've become slightly obsessive about them. In the past 6 months I've spent alot of time looking for them on Antelope Island. My biggest lens is only a 70-200 2.8, so I'm never able to get any great shots of them but I thought I'd share a couple.

Great Horned
OwlWeb.jpg

Burrowing Owl
BurrowingOwlsRGB.jpg

Barn Owls
BarnOwlpic.jpg

Barn Owl at ISO 6400
411689_2902251335872_1170938405_o.jpg

Way cool man. I can't say I've ever sought out owls but if I had a long lens and the foggiest idea where to look, I'd be all over that. Great shots!

That Great Horned Owl looks really angry. What did you do to it? Great stuff, the only time I got close to owls was at the Center for Birds of Prey in Boise.

I've been chasing eagles this past weekend, Wedge Tails in particular. Saw quite a few but no pictures worth talking about, such awesome big birds (7-8 feet across the wings) they get so far away before the camera is out.

NIce post Austin! I LOVE owls and just stumbled on this post. I don't have many pictures but many stories. This summer I was swooped three, 3 !, times at deep dusk by big owls in Montana and Wyoming. Twice were on a backpack in the Wind Rivers. I am nearly certain that the first occurrence and probably the last two were Great Grey's which occur mostly north of here. These large owls are nearly as big as Great Horned's and a pair were swooping my little dog Luna and she was going after them too. Neat! Great Horned's are the primary predator for skunks if you can believe it. Great Grey's stick primarily to smaller prey but many a house cat, and even dog have been lost to the Great Horned Owl. Thanks for the pictures. BTW there is a beautiful Great Grey at the Tracy Aviary you can see up close.

Neat stuff.

This little Saw Whet moved into my garage for about six weeks last year.

IMG_7117%20W.JPG

You can see where he's kicking it on the second from top shelf

IMG_7105%20W.JPG

I was sitting in my big chair where I like to sit and smoke cigars when I took the picture, that little owl would just kick it there and watch me smoke. I shooed him out out the big open door a couple times, only to find him back again a day or two later. I finally quit worrying about it and got used to feeling like I was being watched in there all the time. Eventually he was just gone though.

- DAA