North Erickson Lake

I have been looking all over this forum for a TR on the Erickson lakes but haven't been able to find any, so I was wondering who has visited North Erickson Lake on here? And if you have, I would love to hear about your trip.

Anyway, this is from a trip my wife and I did in 2011, and this will be a lousy trip report, but a lousy trip report is better than none right? I have very few pictures of this trip, and the only ones I really have are of the camp site.

Well, if you have ever been to these lakes, than you know it takes forever to get to the trailhead. There is a long dirt road that is rough the whole way there. It felt like we were driving 2mph for 2 hours and that is with a good off-road vehicle. I didn't prepare too well for this trip, I just figured we would get on the trail and it would lead us straight there, but there were a couple forks in the trail, so I'm not even sure we made it to our destination.

Me, Chance and Luna (RIP) hiking in.
image.jpg

The skies were great, I wish I had a nice camera at the time, but all of these pictures are with my iPhone.

image.jpg image.jpg

Like I've said, all of my pictures are of our campsite, but I've vnever stayed at a better campsite than this one. It was tucked away so nicely in the trees with one opening to look at the lake and the incredible view.

image.jpg

This is the only real picture I have of, what I think is North Erickson lake. But like I said, I amrobably wrong, so please, anyone who knows, correct me.
image.jpg image.jpg

We spent a little time testing the fishing, and we caught a few nice ones. It was a few years ago, so I can't even remember what I was using or what kind of trout I was catching, but it sure was a blast!
image.jpg image.jpg
image.jpg

I wish I remembered more about this trip. All I really remember is how bad the Mosquitoes were, how long the drive was, and how this was probably my favorite trip I've been on with just my wife. I just don't know if I will ever make it back there because of how long it takes to get to the trailhead.

Hope you enjoy!

Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

I know my trip reports, and this is definitely not a lousy one! At first I thought I knew where this was, but then I realized I was confusing it with the Timothy Lakes which have no trees. I did make it pretty close the actual Erickson Lakes once but it was not meant to be. We were way too early in the season and they were under many feet of snow. We turned around and camped below snow line just to get hammered by a big storm which locked us into the tent for a long looooooong time before we could make an escape. Trip report from that mayhem below. We came in from Smith & Morehouse though. I think you came in the other way. Good stuff, keep 'em coming! :)

http://backcountrypost.com/forum/threads/smith-morehouse-ledgefork-trail-uintas.443/

I've been there years ago. Did you take the Norway Flats road, or the Upper Setting Road?
I think there are brook trout in there, and your fish picture would confirm that.

I've walked by them a couple of times traversing Erickson basin to go from the Upper Setting road over the divide and down into Smith Morehouse. Pretty place. Nice TR!

I am hiking up to North Erickson Lake via Upper Setting Road this weekend. We will hike over to Big Elk Lake and maybe Island Lake too. I am resolving to do a good trip report. I will tag you in this thread when it's up.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
jar155 North Erickson Lake, Uinta Mountains (off trail approach) Backpacking 9
Utsbeme North Erickson Lake, Uinta Mountains Backpacking 7
Timber High Sierra - North Lake to South Lake Loop - Layover Day Trip Planning 9
J Pacific Creek or North Buffalo Fork? Teton Wilderness, Thorofare ,etc. Trip Planning 10
kwc Wandering about In Theodore Roosevelt NP (north unit) Hiking & Camping 5
scatman North Ridge of City Creek Canyon - February 4, 2023 Hiking & Camping 17
kwc Round Lake, north central Adirondacks, in the Round Lake Wilderness On The Water 2
Udink North of Arches Hiking & Camping 6
Janice The Wave - and SO MUCH MORE! (Coyote Buttes North, South, White Pocket, Buckskin, Condors, Bighorns...) - Part 1 Hiking & Camping 14
scatman North Pitchstone Trail, Headwaters of Ouzel Creek, Bechler River and Mr. Bubbles(?) - Yellowstone National Park - September 13, 2021 Backpacking 36
K North To Alaska - The Aleutians and More Everything Else 3
OwenM Anyone here familiar with North Cascades NP? Trip Planning 9
Chuck the Mauler Sierra North Lake / South Lake "loop" questions Trip Planning 10
Bob Morris North Inlet Trail Trip Planning 3
scatman North Summit, Mount Olympus - July 3, 2021 Hiking & Camping 12
BJett Joyce Kilmer-Slickrock Wilderness Area. North Carolina. Backpacking 0
RyanP North Fork Bull Lake Creek Trip Planning 35
BackpackingtheSierras Republic Pass Trail North Absaroka into Yellowstone Cache Creek and Lamar River Trip Planning 1
NorthwestWanderer North Cascades NP : Dee Dee Lakes & the Mcallister Ledge Backpacking 0
NorthwestWanderer North Cascades - Cutthroat/Granite/snowy lakes passes Backpacking 3
scatman North Summit, Mount Olympus - October 17, 2020 Hiking & Camping 16
U Favorite sites in Glacier in North Fork, Lake McDonald or Cole/Nyack? Looking at mid july Trip Planning 2
Bob Grand Canyon North Rim wildfire Trip Planning 4
J North Cascades National Park Black and Corteo Peaks Traverse Aug 21-23, 2007 Retro Backpacking 3
U Glacier North Circle Loop Mid July - Looking for an alternative back-up plan for a 3-4 nighter Trip Planning 0
Mikjik86 FULL Video Part 2 Backpacking Glacier National Park "North Circle Route" Backpacking 0
Dhuff3243 North Fork Robbers Roost and Blarney canyon Trip Planning 0
Mikjik86 Backpacking Glacier National Park (Part 2 Preview) "North Circle Route" Montana, August 2019 Backpacking 2
J Lake Mead Natl Recreation Area North Shore scramble fun. Nov. 28-30, 2019 Hiking & Camping 5
Mikjik86 Backpacking Glacier National Park - North Circle Route Part 1 Preview Video. Backpacking 1
Chuck the Mauler North Lake - South Lake questions Trip Planning 4
Yvonne Kolob Terrace exploration: from Hop Valley to North Gate Peaks, May 2019 Hiking & Camping 7
BJett Linville Gorge Wilderness Area - North Carolina Backpacking 18
Janice Opportunity to provide input on policies for Coyote Buttes North ("The Wave") and nearby areas General Discussion 27
TimeOutside Searching for a 5-ish day trek within 5 to 6 hours of North Dallas Trip Planning 3
DrNed Shift in Magnetic North General Discussion 4
McKee80 Glacier NP, part 2. North Fork, Sept 2018 Backpacking 11
Titans Pharaoh Lake Wilderness - Brilliant Fall Foliage, Pond and Lake Reflections- Adirondacks, North Eastern US Hiking & Camping 20
regehr Mill B North Fork Hiking & Camping 6
msteudel Boulder Mountain North Slope UT: Donkey Res. to Lost Lake? Trip Planning 1
NorthwestWanderer Copper Pass, North Cascades (Day Hike + Bear sighting) Hiking & Camping 1
Jimmy Baker Lake, Lake Diablo, North Cascades, Olympics Family Adventure Hiking & Camping 8
Outdoors24 Things to do north of Durango CO Trip Planning 0
SKLund North Dune Mountain Hiking & Camping 9
KevinBoyer South Lake to North Lake Sierra Nevada Trip Planning 4
Mountain Wanderer Hello from North Idaho! Noobs: Introduce yourself! 4
DrNed Floating The North Platte June 2017 On The Water 5
AbinadiWitness Chicago Basin - Part 1: Approach - Purgatory Flats, North Eolus, Mt. Eolus - 13-15 Aug. 2017 Backpacking 6
George_Washington_Hayduke White Roost Canyons (east and west forks) & North Fork of Robbers Roost Canyon Canyoneering 3
Ross High Spur and North Wash Canyoneering 5