Nick, get a cease and desist letter yet? (Backcountry.com Discussion)

Been a week since I last popped on here but figured this conversation would be happening here too, especially with the domain. I find it odd that I haven't yet seen BackcountryEdge.com named in any of the few reports I've read up on. That site/company, in my mind, are much more of a direct competitor among any of the others that are listed among the litigation cases to date. That said...in hind sight, trying to build a brand on the back of that word alone probably wasn't the wisest idea. Might as well build a brand on "sky" or "wilderness" or "forest".

Been a week since I last popped on here but figured this conversation would be happening here too, especially with the domain. I find it odd that I haven't yet seen BackcountryEdge.com named in any of the few reports I've read up on. That site/company, in my mind, are much more of a direct competitor among any of the others that are listed among the litigation cases to date. That said...in hind sight, trying to build a brand on the back of that word alone probably wasn't the wisest idea. Might as well build a brand on "sky" or "wilderness" or "forest".
Brb registering domains...

They already changed their name to Enwild.com

They already changed their name to Enwild.com

You're right. I bought a youth pack from them for one of my kids about a year ago and hadn't bought anything since and didn't realize the name change until today. Looks like they rebranded under their new name in August. While I can find reports of when they changed, I don't see anything mentioned about why exactly, but it's almost certain they too got a C & D after all. I think I like their new look better and their new name may better serve them in the future, so good for them.

You're right. I bought a youth pack from them for one of my kids about a year ago and hadn't bought anything since and didn't realize the name change until today. Looks like they rebranded under their new name in August. While I can find reports of when they changed, I don't see anything mentioned about why exactly, but it's almost certain they too got a C & D after all. I think I like their new look better and their new name may better serve them in the future, so good for them.

Someone on 14ers.com mentioned that they changed their name because of backcountry.com

I feel like there's a good chance they're putting additional lawsuits on ice until they figure out how to handle this fiasco. It's amazing how much backlash they're experiencing right now.

Never used backcountry.com but what they've been doing is absolute trash, so I never will use the site. Even retracting a bit after the backlash doesn't repair my opinion of them.. They've shown their true colors IMO. Don't be fooled, gaming companies do this shtick all the time and once the backlash dies down they go right back at it.

According to what an IP attorney in SLC once told me, you can only claim a TM for the specific category of your business. When applying for the TM, they make you select a category.

Last edited: