Newbie Checking in

AEuropa

Happy January everyone. I'm active duty Navy getting ready to retire after 20 years and will be moving from the East Coast somewhere near Yellowstone (Wyoming, Idaho, Montana) to start the next journey of my life. I'll be going to school for some type of wildlife management or conservation degree (depends on which school I choose to attend). I have always loved the outdoors and the mountains are calling my name. Last year I took a trip to Wyoming and Idaho and there's no question that it is a remarkable place and where I want to spend the rest of my life. Anyways, I'm still a beginner backpacker as I haven't been able to spend much of my career outside. I hiked the Shenandoah section of the AT 2 years ago and it was an amazing experience. I'm looking forward to learning from everyone here!

Alex

Welcome to this forum. Yellowstone is also my playground and I'll move to the area within the next year.
Check out Montana State University in Bozeman, they have a lot of good degrees. I checked them out as I might transfer there.
I'm pretty sure you'll find a lot of good advice here regarding any backpacking questions.

Utah State in Logan Ut..... Lower cost living than Bozeman or Missoula..... Plus excellent natural resource school...

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
M I'm a newbie to the crew Noobs: Introduce yourself! 0
GramaNana Newbie Overnight with REI gear - Farmington, Utah May 2021 Hiking & Camping 12
Capsnack Newbie from Utah Noobs: Introduce yourself! 5
Titans Newbie Noobs: Introduce yourself! 2
D Newbie from Illinois Noobs: Introduce yourself! 6
F Greetings from Wisconsin Newbie Noobs: Introduce yourself! 4
R Newbie from Michigan! Noobs: Introduce yourself! 8
D Newbie... hi! Noobs: Introduce yourself! 1
June Newbie Noobs: Introduce yourself! 2
J Newbie - hoping for some advice on one night backpack in utah Noobs: Introduce yourself! 3
E Grand Teton & Backpacking Newbie - a few questions Trip Planning 35
P Newbie Noobs: Introduce yourself! 8
LoriB Hiking with a Newbie Trip Planning 8
Samuel Stone Newbie McNewbieson Noobs: Introduce yourself! 1
Jon Carbaugh Newbie In Georgia Noobs: Introduce yourself! 9
dreamlessleep Hello from a newbie to the Lander, WY area Noobs: Introduce yourself! 10
Kullaberg63 Newbie living in Moab Noobs: Introduce yourself! 1
maniakmedic Newbie looking to start backpacking in April Trip Planning 11
balzaccom Just checking... General Discussion 5
T Checking in from CNY Noobs: Introduce yourself! 0
S Noob checking in Noobs: Introduce yourself! 0
Perry New Member Checking in Noobs: Introduce yourself! 0
DudefromOhio New guy checking in. Noobs: Introduce yourself! 4
Upgrayedd Noob with a young family checking in Noobs: Introduce yourself! 7