New Water Filter Needed...Suggestions??

I use a steriPen in the mountains quite a bit. Has anyone tried the steriPen in the desert?
I've used a steripen for years in canyon country (adventurer opti and now Pure+) and have zero interest going back to futzing with a filter. The only time I've used anything different since switching to a Steripen was an 8 day trip in the Grand Canyon with packrafting and canyoneering gear where I really needed to be extra weigh conscious and took Aquamira.

Had used the Sawyer filter for about three years on every trip to the wilderness and they exceeded my expectations: the water was clean and delicious. Only be careful not to leave it for too long without cleaning as they can become clogged.

Last edited:
We use the Platypus Gravityworks and love it. We're generally in a group of at least 4, and it makes filtering for the whole group very easy.

I also own and love a gravityworks, though it's not a great match for all trips. Last summer in the Jarbidge range we ended up being near water often enough that it was easier to just filter a liter here and there when we got thirsty using my buddy's katyadyn befree. This also let us drink cold water instead of stuff that had been warming up in a backpack all day. We ended up futzing with the gravity filter just once on this trip. Of course for desert trips where you tend to want to filter a lot of water at a time (and it's not cold anyway) the gravity filter is ideal.

Using a katadyn hiker pro filter since they came out. Easy and fast.

I've completely switched over to the bigger Sawyer Squeeze (too impatient for the Mini). I use a piece of a gold coffee filter under the gasket as a prefilter for cruddy water, like late season potholes.

LifeStraw is also very good, it is affordable. It could also be ideal for outdoor activities such as hiking, travel, and many more with an included gravity bag. I like how its filtration system works on any water surface.

If quality of water and maximum filtration is what you are concerned about get a first needs filter. Once you have drunk water filtered with it over any of the other solutions you will agree that nothing else comes close. Unfortunately it is expensive and it is rather large and heavy, but if you want the best tasting and cleanest water it's the way to go.

I vote for the Sawyer Squeeze with Cnoc bladder bag. I’ve done the Arizona trail and a ton of desert backpacking with it and it’s still going strong on the original setup. I have the coupler so I can back flush it. You can also use a squeeze top from a smart water bottle to back flush, but I prefer the screw on coupler it’s light and you don’t have to crush your smart water bottle to back flush. It’s easy to set up as a gravity system with a camelback as well.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
RyanP Sawyer Squeeze questions: how to pre-filter, and recommended dirty-water bag? Gear 30
Scott Chandler Sawyer Mini Water Filter Gear 2
Deadeye008 Gear Review Sawyer Squeeze Water Filter Gear Reviews 15
Deadeye008 DIY gravity water filter setup Gear 1
B Is there water at Colt Mesa tank - Escalante Trip Planning 6
Janice Caching water? General Discussion 8
Bob 206 mile water trail Trip Planning 0
kwc Smoke on the water … fire in the sky … General Discussion 6
JBG Water Beta 2022 - Highline Trail Trip Planning 6
regehr potable water in Escalante town? Trip Planning 6
regehr water in lower muley twist? Trip Planning 0
Janice Water questions - Escalante area Trip Planning 38
Nethos Another water post(Bowdie/Midway) Trip Planning 10
H Access to Grand Gulch via Water Canyon Trip Planning 2
CodyL Winds- Big water slide Trip Planning 3
Gretchen Millward Trachyte Creek conditions/water Trip Planning 0
B In Government Trail and out Water Canyon Trip Planning 3
Christo Water availability:Thorofare Yellowstone Trip Planning 6
RyanP road from Hite to Water Hole Flat Trip Planning 20
JBG Water on the Highline Trail - 2021 Trip Planning 2
garyhost Cedar Mesa Utah Trip. Conditions? Water? Trip Planning 8
RyanP Conditions (water/bugs) for Escalante/Death Hollow Trip Planning 27
J Grand Gulch (Kane to Bullet) Water Availability Trip Planning 9
E Water in the Needles early-May 2021 Trip Planning 3
S Packrafting Escalante - FiftyMile Creek and low water level Lake Powell Trip Planning 8
F Stevens Canyon/southern escalate water availability. Trip Planning 16
gnwatts Grand Gulch water Trip Planning 6
W 9 Days Solo Escalante Loop in October (water advice) - Stevens Canyon, Baker Route over Waterpocket fold, Halls Narrows to Moody Canyons Trip Planning 11
M Dark Canyon Complex Water Data Trip Planning 4
P Salt Creek water Backpacking 2
P Pitchstone Plateau water Backpacking 7
C Paria Canyon water source - August 2020 Trip Planning 2
OldBill Water treatment tablets and Cryptosporidium Gear 15
I Water in Frisky Creek south of Highway 12 in the Grand Staircase? Trip Planning 0
DrNed Water Sources McKee Draw to Leidy Peak Trip Planning 12
M Water containers Gear 28
fossana UT 2020 water outlook General Discussion 2
Rockskipper Maybe it was the BBQ sauce (guy survives 3 weeks w/ no food or water after getting lost) General Discussion 0
regehr Water higher up in Virgin Springs Canyon? Trip Planning 17
RyanP Water in Needles District in early April this year? Trip Planning 9
RyanP 3-day trip ideas (15-20 miles or so) for late May/early June with good water Trip Planning 9
M Water in Canyonlands Salt Creek early April? Trip Planning 11
Mikjik86 Desert Canyon/Water Shoes? Gear 9
Artemus 2018/2019 Snowpack and Water Year General Discussion 85
gnwatts Water Canyon on Cedar Mesa Backpacking 11
LarryBoy Water source information - Escalante/CRNP area Trip Planning 14
gnwatts Water Canyon (Cedar Mesa) top down General Discussion 11
O Green River/Stillwater Canyon question regarding water Trip Planning 3
blueeyes Black Canyon Water Trail On The Water 16
T Water availability next week in Cedar Mesa & Escalante areas Trip Planning 5