New tent suggestions

Tystevens

Background -- my Go Lite 3-person tent (approx. 5.5.bs) works fine for me and my two oldest (11 and 9), for now, at least. But my 5 yr old has expressed some interest in coming along with us. After looking at 4-person behemoths, I am realizing that I can buy a pretty nice 2-man shelter for the same or less than I would spend on a 4-person -- me and the 5 yr old would fit fine in a 'regular' 2-man, and it would make a great shelter for solo trips. My solo trips range anywhere from the Uintas to So. Utah, with some No. California and Oregon likely mixed in. So the tent would need to work in wind, rain, sand, and rocky ground. I have some aspirations of longer thru-hikes in the future, 7-30 days maybe, if they can be worked in with family and career. No intention of becoming an UL enthusiast, and looking for a reasonable mix of light and durable. $400 about as much as I want to spend.

Leaders in the clubhouse are the usuals: BA Copper Spur (~3lb), REI Quarterdome (~3.5 lb), or maybe the BA Fly Creek (~2 lbs). There is an MSR Nook on clearance on a bunch of sites for $230 that is intriguing (2.75 lbs). Also interested in some of the single wall tents, mainly the Six Moons Lunar Duo (2.5 lbs, big) or Tarptent Double Rainbow (2.5 lb, no trekking poles, but can be set up freestanding w/ poles).

On one hand, I'm inclined to stay with the freestanding tents that I already know. I'm really interested in the tarptents. But I am a little worried about setting them up in sandy washes in So. Utah or the rocky Uintas. I know, flys have to be staked out to work on the freestanding tents, but a loose fly is different than the whole tent coming down because a stake pulls up. I guess the Double Rainbow is intriguing because it can be set up w/o staking, is lighter and cheaper than the Copper Spur. The Lunar Duo looks great, but can't be set up w/o staking. What do you all think?

On one hand, I'm inclined to stay with the freestanding tents that I already know. I'm really interested in the tarptents. But I am a little worried about setting them up in sandy washes in So. Utah or the rocky Uintas. I know, flys have to be staked out to work on the freestanding tents, but a loose fly is different than the whole tent coming down because a stake pulls up. I guess the Double Rainbow is intriguing because it can be set up w/o staking, is lighter and cheaper than the Copper Spur. The Lunar Duo looks great, but can't be set up w/o staking. What do you all think?

You can use rocks on top of your stakes or tie off your guylines directly to rocks, the biggest you can carry from close by your camp. Also doubling up with two guylines at every tie out point makes a more secure pitch. The Tarptent I have gives a lot more room inside for the weight than my other tents but it has a strip of mesh around the ground level by the floor and if the wind is blowing sand that can cover everything inside pretty fast. A bathtub floor with the mesh starting farther up works better imo, in sandy areas.

If if is very windy you still need to guy out a free standing tent securely or the wind can damage the pole setup and or plow your tent walls into you making your habitat very distracting. Even with them I use the rock and double guyline methods when needed and that works well.

There are so many choices now. Good luck with your search.

Thanks for your response Wyatt. There are indeed a lot of options. I'm about settled on either a Six Moons Lunar Duo or Skyscape, in the cheaper/heavier poly fabric. The prices on those shelters is just too low -- almost takes the risk out of it, as if it doesn't work out for me, I'm not out a lot of money -- and I would still save a bunch of weight. With enough left over to upgrade my pack (ULA Circuit?) and still be within my 'tent' budget.

I was seriously considering the Lunar Duo a few months ago, but I ended up going with a TarpTent Stratospire 2 becaus it's shaped better to handle wind, and it is double-walled. Making a decision was agonizing though because I'm sure they're both fantastic tents. I really like the Stratospire, but I have yet to pitch it in sand, so I can't offer much help in that area.

I have had a Rainbow since 2009....used it from Alpine to Desert sand.....never had a problem pulling stakes (don't use it freestanding as I hate hiking poles). But I put a rock over each stake. After this summer Im getting another rainbow...nothing else compares....

I have the cooper spur. I use that most of the time I go out west unless I know I can use my hammock. Fantastic tent. Light weight. Roomy. Side entry. The ONLY thing I wish was different was if the door attached at the top. Right now when I open it it lays on the floor or I roll it up. Highly recommended.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the copper spur is awesome because at that weight you get two doors and two vestibules, so very nice for two people. i hated having one door at the end. but if you are planning on carrying it by yourself often i'd go with whatever is lightest. i have a single person tarptent that is not free standing and i hate it in the desert but love it in the mountains, which is why i ended up with the copper spur as my two person and desert tent.

I had my choice of both the Copper Spur 1 & 2 and the MSR Hubba and Hubba Hubba in May. I bought the Hubba Hubba based on the rectangular floor, more durable materials, doors that are attached on the upper edge AND the fly can be used alone without having to buy the footprint. It is a wee bit heavy for solo use. I'm sure I'll spring for a solo TarpTent one of these days.
Wayne

Old. Slow. "Smarter than the average bear."

the copper spur is awesome because at that weight you get two doors and two vestibules, so very nice for two people. i hated having one door at the end. but if you are planning on carrying it by yourself often i'd go with whatever is lightest. i have a single person tarptent that is not free standing and i hate it in the desert but love it in the mountains, which is why i ended up with the copper spur as my two person and desert tent.

This ^

I have a killer super light Sierra Designs Tensegrity Elite that I love in the mountain but it sucks in the desert since it isn't free standing. Free standing all the way out there. Yeah, you can make it work, but it's not fun. And tents with side doors are so much easier to get in and out of than front loaders.

I had my choice of both the Copper Spur 1 & 2 and the MSR Hubba and Hubba Hubba in May. I bought the Hubba Hubba based on the rectangular floor, more durable materials, doors that are attached on the upper edge AND the fly can be used alone without having to buy the footprint. It is a wee bit heavy for solo use. I'm sure I'll spring for a solo TarpTent one of these days.
Wayne

Old. Slow. "Smarter than the average bear."

I bought the Copper Spur UL 3 a year ago last March to lighten the pack a bit from the 3-4 season tent we had been using all year long. Best I can politely describe, I ended up hating the UL 3 for a host of reasons. It's only good attribute was "light". Fast forward 6 months and we bought MSR's Mutha Hubba as a replacement. It is more functional in EVERY way even though it weighs another half pound. Contrary to BA's design, the MSR doors/zippers are very well thought out and actually better in that regard than any of the dozen tents I've owned over the years. It's only short coming is that it could use more ventilation but that short coming is also present in the UL 3. The big difference is you can leave the Mutha Hubba fly zippers down a-ways without getting water in the tent-something you can't do with the Copper Spurs-which solves the venting problem.

I bought the Copper Spur UL 3 a year ago last March to lighten the pack a bit from the 3-4 season tent we had been using all year long. Best I can politely describe, I ended up hating the UL 3 for a host of reasons. It's only good attribute was "light". Fast forward 6 months and we bought MSR's Mutha Hubba as a replacement. It is more functional in EVERY way even though it weighs another half pound. Contrary to BA's design, the MSR doors/zippers are very well thought out and actually better in that regard than any of the dozen tents I've owned over the years. It's only short coming is that it could use more ventilation but that short coming is also present in the UL 3. The big difference is you can leave the Mutha Hubba fly zippers down a-ways without getting water in the tent-something you can't do with the Copper Spurs-which solves the venting problem.

Does the Mutha Hubba's zipper get stuck as bad as the Copper Spur UL3?

Does the Mutha Hubba's zipper get stuck as bad as the Copper Spur UL3?

Not only do the MSR zippers work one handed, but you can completely unzip both the tent doors and the fly zippers while sitting on your duffer in the tent. No need to be stretched out with your nose in the turf like trying to get the Copper Spur fly zippers open, which invariably is a two handed affair. Like I said, the MSR is very well thought out.