New Boots

Don

Never nude.
I haven't seen mine, but I'd heard the REI dividend was out so I went by REI at lunch just to look around 'cause it's definitely time for some new light-hiker boots. My previous light-hikers lasted almost 4 years and most of that being beat up and soaked in slot canyons so I was eager to find something similar by the same company; Salomon. Unfortunately REI didn't have the Salomons I wanted. In fact the only Salomons they had were either heavy-beefy-high-ankle-mountain-boots or light (flimsy looking) trail-runners. The salesman started talking up some nearby Vasque boots. Beefy looking, nicely placed extra rubber on the toe and heel, AND it's the same extra-sticky Stealth rubber 5.10 uses on their canyoneer and climbing shoes! Marked at $135 he said they might be on clearance at $105, but I'd have to check at the register. They rang up at $95! Plus they looked up my dividend, only $12.53, but still helps! Sweet!
I also picked up a GSENM waterproof rec-map for use in Death Hollow in a 9 days!
Here's my new boots!
http://www.rei.com/product/810238/vasque-scree-ud-low-hiking-shoes-mens

Ditto. I bought a pair of the Screes last year after I dunked my camera in a river because I slipped on a rock. I LOVE them. They're lightweight but still quite supportive and that rubber is super sticky. Also nice because they are so comfortable that it doesn't bother to keep wearing them in camp after a long day hiking. I used to pack crocks for camp shoes but I stopped doing that with the screes. I picked up two extra pairs from Sierra Trading Post for $55 each at the end of last season. :)

What route are you doing in Death Hollow?

I'll miss my old Salomons, I should post a picture of them...
But I'm looking forward to many adventures in these new shoes!

We haven't nailed down the route yet. We're still trying to nail down the size of group to see if we'll have a second vehicle. The talk right now is down Death via Mail trail and hike Escalante out east to the bridge on the highway. Cody mentioned he got some advice from you recently, so he's been taking the lead on the route. And I'm good with anything.
Speaking of which, I guess since Cody picked your brain about the route we might owe you a trip report...

We haven't nailed down the route yet. We're still trying to nail down the size of group to see if we'll have a second vehicle. The talk right now is down Death via Mail trail and hike Escalante out east to the bridge on the highway. Cody mentioned he got some advice from you recently, so he's been taking the lead on the route. And I'm good with anything.
Speaking of which, I guess since Cody picked your brain about the route we might owe you a trip report...

Hell yeah! That is a fantastic route! One of my all time favorites. I really love Death Hollow. Let me know if you guys need coords to any specific spots. There are some fine camp sites and swimming holes to be had, sometimes they're even in the same place. :)

i'd looked at the Scree's but I have wide feet and, believe it or not, they are one of the only Vasque shoes which is NOT available in wide sizes :( i contacted the company to request that they add a line of wide ones. wonder if they will ever do it. I seriously want a pair. what do those of you who have them think of them in terms of width?

I have work responsibilities, but I am located in Boulder and may be able to help out with a shuttle if needed (i have limited car space - AMC Eagle wagon, but could fit 4 or 5 if we had to with room for gear in back or on top). If you end up needing a shuttle, let me know your schedule and possible needs and maybe we can work something out. If not me, I might be able to find someone else in town with the time who is willing to do it for a couple of bucks.

Reactions: Don
i'd looked at the Scree's but I have wide feet and, believe it or not, they are one of the only Vasque shoes which is NOT available in wide sizes :( i contacted the company to request that they add a line of wide ones. wonder if they will ever do it. I seriously want a pair. what do those of you who have them think of them in terms of width?

I have work responsibilities, but I am located in Boulder and may be able to help out with a shuttle if needed (i have limited car space - AMC Eagle wagon, but could fit 4 or 5 if we had to with room for gear in back or on top). If you end up needing a shuttle, let me know your schedule and possible needs and maybe we can work something out. If not me, I might be able to find someone else in town with the time who is willing to do it for a couple of bucks.

I have wide feet too and the screes actually fit me just fine in a regular width. I just started wearing one of my new pairs and I broke them in at work over two days. Felt a smidge tight at first but settled in just fine.

I sure wish I'd known you when I needed a shuttle! Hitch hiking does not always pan out on that stretch of road. If you guys do the shuttle, just drop off everyone at BMT, then you just need to get a ride for one person that drops off the car at the bridge. Easy.

I have wide feet too and the screes actually fit me just fine in a regular width. I just started wearing one of my new pairs and I broke them in at work over two days. Felt a smidge tight at first but settled in just fine.

I sure wish I'd known you when I needed a shuttle! Hitch hiking does not always pan out on that stretch of road. If you guys do the shuttle, just drop off everyone at BMT, then you just need to get a ride for one person that drops off the car at the bridge. Easy.

great to know that about the shoes. thanks! i might just have to order some this instant.

that type of shuttle works great. i did it for a small boyscout group last year. maybe i should start up my own shuttle business ;)

that type of shuttle works great. i did it for a small boyscout group last year. maybe i should start up my own shuttle business ;)

We ended up driving into Escalante and hiring a shuttle for $80. I bet if you setup a simple single page website with some good keywords, you'd get more than a few extra bucks out of it from the occasional hikers. I know I would have hired you in a heartbeat, especially if you could do it cheaper than $80. For $40-50 I wouldn't have even considered trying to hitch hike. Not sure if it would be worthwhile at that price, just thinking out loud.

We ended up driving into Escalante and hiring a shuttle for $80. I bet if you setup a simple single page website with some good keywords, you'd get more than a few extra bucks out of it from the occasional hikers. I know I would have hired you in a heartbeat, especially if you could do it cheaper than $80. For $40-50 I wouldn't have even considered trying to hitch hike. Not sure if it would be worthwhile at that price, just thinking out loud.

if i remember right i asked for $40 from that last group and they gave me $60 and thought i was crazy to ask for so little. i think $50 is reasonable price.
i need to build a life in which i can just sell my art, hike and do shuttles :)
I'm definitely going to look into this. it sure would beat being stuck inside a store for most of the day.

also, I just found the Vasque Screes for 78 bucks on clearance at campsaver.com . order placed!
I also just ordered from Sierra Trading Post yesterday & got a steripen for 40 bucks plus socks & other needed things, including some new water shoes. I am actually trying out the Teva Gnarkosi's. sure they are a bit too hip looking, but they look like they should keep sand out really well while at the same time draining like a sieve. got them for a little over 30 bucks with the discount code! can't beat that!
I spend a lot of time in august & the hot summer days wading & soaking in potholes - lots of slickrock bottomed creek meandering to beat the heat & i think they may work great.
The Scree's will be more all around everyday wear, and I have wanted some stealth rubber soles for a long time.
thanks to everyone for all the tips & discount codes.

Not sure if it would be worthwhile at that price, just thinking out loud.
considering that average wages for jobs down here are around ten bucks an hour for regularly scheduled consistent work (actually a little less, but i want to make myself feel better ;) ), if i really got a shuttle system set up & going, it might actually make me more money than managing this store.