ND Filters

Waynee-ack

I am in need of purchasing some ND filters for an up coming trip to Yellowstone. I am most interested in pictures of waterfalls and moving water. Any suggestions on how many f-stops of light blockage I want to use. I was thinking somewhere between 2 and 6 f-stops would give a good long shutter speed. Also any recommendation on brand name would be helpful.

Thanks for the input.

I picked up a really cheap set from Amazon and I've been very happy with them. They're made by Dolica and comes with a .3, .6 and .9 ND filter. I'm sure they're not nearly as awesome as real name brands like Hoya or Tiffen but they've done just fine for me. Available on Amazon here.

anything less than .9 ND usually doesn't work great for waterfalls in bright light.
I use a ND 8 Hoya filter, that the same like an .9 ND and has 3 f stops.
What size are you looking for?
I have a ND 8 Hoya filter I'm not using anymore because I bought new lenses and it doesn't fit anymore.

And especially when shooting waterfalls you need to avoid bright light. Try to shoot with overcast skies or on rainy days.
When shooting waterfalls I really love it when it rains :)
I usually don't use my filter on overcast skies, the less amount of light helps a lot.

I have two 3stops and a 10stop in transit.
While the DIY rig was "do-able" it's hardly a durable solution with some serious WB and sharpness issues.

Thanks for the advice.
Looks like some of these are in high demand due to the eclipse this weekend. Hopefully I'll be able to get my hands on a couple by the end of June.

anything less than .9 ND usually doesn't work great for waterfalls in bright light.
I use a ND 8 Hoya filter, that the same like an .9 ND and has 3 f stops.
What size are you looking for?
I have a ND 8 Hoya filter I'm not using anymore because I bought new lenses and it doesn't fit anymore.

And especially when shooting waterfalls you need to avoid bright light. Try to shoot with overcast skies or on rainy days.
When shooting waterfalls I really love it when it rains :)
I usually don't use my filter on overcast skies, the less amount of light helps a lot.
I'm looking for a 77mm.

Did you happen to see this post/thread? I thought the welding glass was an interesting idea:
http://backcountrypost.com/forum/index.php?threads/total-eclipse-of-the-sun.223/#post-8036

Welding glass is a good way to learn for cheap but comes with inherent limitations involving sharpness, vignetting and color cast.

I have two 3stops and a 10stop in transit.
While the DIY rig was "do-able" it's hardly a durable solution with some serious WB and sharpness issues.

Similar story here... just picked up a Hoya ND4 and will look to add an ND8 when I can.

I received an ND filter in the mail from Miss Buffalo today and had to go and give it a try. This is a shot of the stream coming out of Waterfall Canyon in Ogden.
DSC_2710.jpg
I'm happy with the results.

I love it!!! Nice slow shutter speed!!
I'm glad that you can use the filter. I used it for so many wonderful waterfall shots and now I'm looking forward for more of your results :)
Thanks again and I hope the money gets to you by the end of the week.