Navajo Mtn and Navajo NM

mike_offerman

Looks like I will be in the are in 2 weeks and had a couple of questions.

Is it allowed to drive to the top of Navajo Mtn? How rough is the road, something a stock 4runner could handle? Or maybe just driving part way up?

Was also looking at day hiking to Keet Seel in Navajo NM. Is it worth taking a day out of our trip to hike it? Are there other things worthwhile to do while there?

Thnaks,
Mike

Looks like I will be in the are in 2 weeks and had a couple of questions.

Is it allowed to drive to the top of Navajo Mtn? How rough is the road, something a stock 4runner could handle? Or maybe just driving part way up?

Was also looking at day hiking to Keet Seel in Navajo NM. Is it worth taking a day out of our trip to hike it? Are there other things worthwhile to do while there?

Thnaks,
Mike

My impression is that you cannot be on Navajo Mountain, it being sacred to the tribe. The Navajo Parks Department follows. Call them and see what happens. :roflmao:

http://navajonationparks.org/

Keet Seel is part of Navajo National Monument and is federal land. There is a tourist season and it is currently active. You need to contact the Monument office and reserve in advance. I got my permit 2 months in advance when I visited in 2013. They limit the number per day going to Keet Seel. I think it's 20 to 25 persons. The hike is 17+ miles with a pretty good climb in and out of the canyon. If you can handle that plus hauling all of your water, plus the visit to the ruin than it's a doable deal. I did an overnight and hauled all of my water. There is no water for visitors at the site. Be sure to go before monsoon season because they close access whenever there is a possibility of storms. The ruin itself is very much worth the hassle. Picture a cave dwelling intact, with everything left behind, and that's pretty much what you get. Bottom line is that Keet Seel is not a trivial undertaking. If I were doing it as a casual visit I would spend the night in the campground, be one of the 25 persons allowed to visit Betatakin ruin the next day (also worth it), find what's happening with Keet Seel, and go the following day if there are spots open.

Yeah, no go on Navajo Mountain due to the being sacred to them thing, although judging by the cell towers on top, enough money might change that policy.

I was able to get permits. Planning on doing the check-in the night before and camping there. I was hoping to drive up Navajo Mtn before. Seems like I keep seeing trip reports of people hiking it and driving it.

I was able to get permits. Planning on doing the check-in the night before and camping there. I was hoping to drive up Navajo Mtn before. Seems like I keep seeing trip reports of people hiking it and driving it.

These permits are to go the TOP of Navajo Mountain?

This is from their website:

Navajos consider Navajo Mountain as a sacred area, and ascending it is forbidden.

ISeems like I keep seeing trip reports of people hiking it and driving it.

I know one person who has driven up to the top. He was friends with a Verizon worker that was going up to service the cellular antenna and was allowed to tag along.

That said, there are plenty of people out there willing to poach it, along with many other places on the Rez that are suppoed to be closed...

Last edited:
I know one person who has driven up to the top. He was friends with a Verizon worker that was going up to service the cellular antenna and was allowed to tag along.

That said, there are plenty of people out there willing to poach it, along with many other places on the Rez that are suppoed to be closed...

Poaching is fun unless you get caught. Then it is really sucks because you are subject to tribal law followed by federal law. I would never do it on Navajo land because families are dispersed all over the place and they may not take kindly to you being out there. Even if I had a tribal permit, it would be wise to have a Navajo guide or person from the chapter house in question accompany you.

Now having said all this, I trespass on tribal land now and then here in NM. It's remote, untravelled, and pristine in many cases...hard to stay away from. I thought I would never get caught but I was busted by a tribal cop and his very pissed off companion in January this year. Seeing that badge glinting in the Sun really, really sucked. Luckily the cop was also a buddhist (seriously) and he let us off with a warning. You can bet your a** that I gave him a namaste! That experience was just plain weird.