My Timpanogos: Timpooneke or Aspen Grove?

Perry

Formerly Cuberant
I’m planning a day hike to summit Mt Tmpanogos in the next few weeks. Question is which trail to take. In an attempt to avoid the crowds I will likely do this on a weekday if that makes any difference. Recommendations?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m planning a day hike to summit Mt Tmpanogos in the next few weeks. Question is which trail to take. In an attempt to avoid the crowds I will likely do this on a weekday if that makes any difference. Recommendations?

Sometimes I think this question is a trap, like when my wife says. "Honey, do I..."

I love the Aspen Grove/Primrose cirque side. I usually find myself going that way.

With that said. My opinion is that an up and down summit is easier on the Timpooneke side. You avoid the walk by the Lake and across the tallus before the last climb.
Just my humble opinion.

I've always done if from Aspen Grove which has it's good spots
but when I do it again, I'll do it from Timapnookee. I've been told
that Timpanookee is a more scenic, has a slower & smoother ascent
but slightly longer.

@WasatchWill is much more knowledgeable and has posted as least one
TR on it.

I prefer Timpooneke but both are great. I don't know if you can really "avoid the crowds" on Timp this time of year but whatever you do, avoid hiking it on Saturday.

That look very intriguing! What’s the mileage like?

It's pretty long, I haven't tried to map it out but (starting and ending at Salamander Flats) I'd guess the round trip is an extra 3-4 miles over Timpooneke (regardless of which route you take from the summit down to Emerald Lake).

Also the routefinding at the start of the cutoff is slightly challenging, one time we found the route right away, another time we thrashed around this steep slope for probably an hour and a half and ran out of water before finding the trail.

The two times I've been up it have been via Aspen Grove, but I really like coming up by Emerald Lake and the shack by the lake. Very pretty. I have a friend who had only ever done the Timpooneke side until this summer, and he said he thought Aspen Grove was prettier. The fact that people have differing opinions probably means you'll love either side.
That friend also said that the Aspen Grove side is steeper than Timpooneke.

So I’ve been doing a bit of research on the “Timp Loop” route. Looking like it’s about 15 miles. With a Mt Timp summit it might be a bit long for this old guy but might just give it a go anyway. I have to move my folks from Texas to Oregon over the next week or two then I’ll be watching for a smoke-free day to pull the trigger.

Thanks for all the excellent info guys!

Living in Provo, it's a much shorter/quicker drive for me to go up via Aspen Grove now. Both trails are beautiful though. I love Aspen Grove because there's usually more waterfalls to pass by, especially when it is earlier in the season. As others have said, I also like the Primrose Cirque it takes you through and then up past Emerald Lake and all that. However Timpooneke is nice with Scout Falls and how it approaches Timp through the basin where you get to behold the summit in its more "iconic" view as you see it from across as seen in so many photographs. I echo @regehr. If you have all day and are in great shape and don't mind hiking another 4ish miles or so, then go up one and come down the other using Salamander Flats or Summit Trailhead as your starting point. My preference in that case would be to go up Timpooneke and then come down via Aspen Grove, starting and finishing at Summit Trailhead which sits along the Alpine Loop about half way between the two primary trailheads. If you study a topo/trail map of the area, specifically the "MapBuilder" layer at CalTopo, you'll see trails you can take connecting Summit Trailhead with the other two trailheads.

You shouldn't have to worry about trail and trailhead congestion if you're going to do it on a weekday. Combine that with the fact that school has started now and the wildflowers are far past their peak, you should have ample parking at any of the major trailheads (Timpooneke, Aspen Grove, or Summit).

Up Aspen Grove and down Timpanookee. Hitch back to your starting point. If more than 15 cars pass before you get picked up. I'll buy you a milkshake.