My introduction

bscuderi

I figured id skip the introductions and post the biggest trip i performed this year since reading your posts has made me nostalgic the season has ended in northern utah. I was able to get some good backpacking in this summer wand I can only hope next season I get half as many trips i look forward to reading your posts and contributing to the site. A little about me i like hunting fishing backpacing and hiking. My job i also enjoy as a flight instructor. Now my favorite trip this year.

So I have had an 8 day 7 night hike along the highline trail in my vacation schedule and in planning since January! Well last week it finally got put into motion and this was the results... since its so long Ill try and keep it entertaining ;)

The day before our planned departure we had to deal with the logistics of finishing packing and placing a car at our exit butterfly lake along mirror lake highway. With work later that night I had no time to fish just get a car up there! The weather was a chilling reminder that we may be in for some strong thunderstorms along our hike.
IMG_0804-1.jpg

IMG_0805-1.jpg

IMG_0808-1.jpg

Saturday James's beautiful wife woke up at 5 am to make the long drive from salt lake to Roosevelt to drop us off at chapeta lake. Once the car drove off it was just me, James, our packs, and a long hike all the way to the mirror lake highway ahead of us... We made our way toward our first obstacle North Pole Pass! This pass was CAPITAL EVIL with a pack that weighed in at 67 pounds and only a few hours of sleep even fresh legs had a tough time powering up this pass! Once at the top a view down to the fishermans paradise below was our first reality check on how deceiving distances can be it took forever to reach those lakes!
IMG_0810-1.jpg

IMG_0811-1.jpg

IMG_0812.jpg

IMG_0813.jpg

IMG_0814.jpg

IMG_0815.jpg

IMG_0816.jpg

IMG_0817.jpg

IMG_0818.jpg
IMG_0819.jpg

As we approached the first are of intended camp, aching tired and unable to go another 100 yards, so did the DNR folks in a group of 3 horses coming from another trail. They had past us going over the pass and I assumed were long gone but I guess they were doing gillnet surveys at the surrounding lakes. Both of us groups were exhausted and it was getting late and neither of us wanted to go any further so we agreed to share the camp. At first I was a little flustered cause I felt like they were on horses and we werent and i packed in to get away from people but they turned out to be a a very nice group of people so in the end it was worth splitting the camp. I fished the lake and james fished the creek. He said he did quite well and I caught fish on pretty much every cast in the 10-13 inch brookie range. I kept 5 to supplement me and James's dinner.
IMG_0820.jpg

IMG_0821.jpg

IMG_0822.jpg

IMG_0823.jpg

The next morning we awoke and james cooked me some delicious breakfast borritos! Yummy!!!! The DNR folks were breaking camp as well and we got to chatting about our plans and he told us of a lake that was a half mile from our current location that he had 18 inch brookies in the gillnet. He stated however there were only 4 with an all night soak so that indicates that the lake held massive fish but a very small population.. He stated theres not many lakes up here I find that kinda size in my surveys.. I was extremely tempted but realized we were already late getting out of camp and we had a long ways to go... The wildlife officer also pointed out on a map a meadow we could cut across to save us 400 feet of elevation. We were very thankful for the tips and on we plugged...
IMG_0824.jpg

IMG_0825.jpg

IMG_0826.jpg
IMG_0827.jpg

IMG_0828.jpg

IMG_0829.jpg

IMG_0830.jpg

We arrived at what I'm going to call my lunch break hole inspired by other forum members. It offered 8-11 inchers on every cast while soaking some sun, resting our backs, eating lunch, and rehydrating for the journey ahead...
IMG_0831.jpg

IMG_0832.jpg

IMG_0833.jpg

We arrived at our camp on the north fork of the Uinta River below painter basin and Andersons Pass. After setting up camp I felt kinda off I was really cold and opted to lay in the tent while james went fishing. He reported back later that no fish were to be found...

The following morning my temperature instability made more sense as I could not stop vomiting. I had come down with the flu... We planned on alot of obstacles; blisters, weather, chafing, injury, etc.... but not this one... Eager not to mess up his vacation I tried to press on we made it about 2.5 or 3 miles with me purging almost every step of the way before James called it. Im glad he did Im to stubborn and would have tried to push on and likely got myslef in a world of hurt! I was unable to hold down any fluid and had ceased to sweat at all and this is what had us worried! We made camp and I slept in the tent all day and was unable to hold any water down all that day and night. James did a side hike to U75 while I layed in the tent. He reported back no fish. The following morning I awoke feeling slightly better though not as stomach noxious I had some new symptoms of the flu that would cause us to have to stop every couple of miles ;) As we made our way up andersons pass i tried to eat a snack that didnt agree with my stomach, sorry to the boyscout following me up the mountain on your way to kings peak, But finally made it to the top of our highest pass! I can imagine it to be extremely difficult when your 100% Obviously our original plan to summit kings was off my radar... I wanted nothing to do with it and were a day behind now! But I felt like the Michael Jordan of hiking because I continued all the way up tungsten pass and part way up porcupine pass to camp at (Y2) that was 10.5 miles of hiking 2.5 mountain passes all with the flu!!! I even did some fishing at Y2 and Y3 which was a windswept tundra that had good solid action for 12"-15" brookies. Some showed signs of snaking others were very healthy and plump.
IMG_0834.jpg
IMG_0835.jpg

IMG_0837.jpg

IMG_0838.jpg

IMG_0839.jpg

IMG_0840.jpg

IMG_0841.jpg

After a night on the windswept tundra we headed up the pass though I had no more stomach issues side affect B was still as prevelant as ever and I felt overall still kinda weak from my lack of eating and appetite as well as difficulty keeping hydrated. On the other side we did some wandering off the trail into some areas in search of fish after all thats why we are here and we really need a moral booster after all our tribulations thus far. I became a mobile fisherman and didnt even take off my pack to fish and found this guy in a creek.. also my fist fish on a maribou I could never seem to figure the thing out but i packed a couple and decided to try it because several forum members have mentioned of them...
IMG_0842.jpg

IMG_0843.jpg

IMG_0844.jpg

IMG_0845.jpg
IMG_0846.jpg
IMG_0847.jpg
IMG_0848.jpg
IMG_0849.jpg
IMG_0850.jpg
IMG_0851.jpg
IMG_0852.jpg
IMG_0853.jpg
IMG_0854.jpg
IMG_0855.jpg
IMG_0856.jpg
IMG_0857.jpg
IMG_0858.jpg

I stubled upon a lake / pond that wasnt mapped an needless to say thats were we ended up for the day we caught brookes in the 14-17 inch range on every cast! They shredded and bent my maribou jig. It was a real Pole workout and I even ended up with a stress fracture in my pole! I even hooked one that i made James stop fishing and go get the camera because after years of fishing experience I knew I had a beast and what would have probably been the biggest brookie of my life, however, after a several minute fight on my ultra light tackle the hook broke free and sailed back toward me on shore :( Why do the big ones always get away... I'll never know for sure but I either had an awesome fish or had one of those 16 or 17 inch fatties severly fowl hooked.
IMG_0861.jpg

IMG_0862.jpg

IMG_0863.jpg

The next morning we awoke and decided to go catch a couple fish for breakfast for breakfast.. after all we needed protein to continue our quest to get back on schedule! A near 17 miles and 2 brutal mountain passes later we chased the setting sun to our camp in the upper rock creek basin.... By the way dead horse pass was kinda sketchy I renamed it dead Brennon pass! I'm a little afraid of steep cliffy type heights and this one made me a little nervous especially with a backpack on!
IMG_0866.jpg
IMG_0867.jpg
IMG_0868.jpg
IMG_0869.jpg
IMG_0870.jpg
IMG_0871.jpg
IMG_0872.jpg
IMG_0873.jpg
IMG_0874.jpg
IMG_0875.jpg
IMG_0876.jpg
IMG_0877.jpg
IMG_0878.jpg

IMG_0879.jpg
IMG_0880.jpg
IMG_0881.jpg
IMG_0882.jpg
IMG_0883.jpg
IMG_0884.jpg
IMG_0885.jpg
IMG_0886.jpg
IMG_0887.jpg
IMG_0888.jpg
IMG_0889.jpg
IMG_0890.jpg
IMG_0891.jpg
IMG_0892.jpg
IMG_0893.jpg
IMG_0894.jpg
IMG_0895.jpg
IMG_0896.jpg
IMG_0897.jpg
IMG_0898.jpg
IMG_0899.jpg

IMG_0900.jpg

IMG_0901.jpg

IMG_0902.jpg

IMG_0903.jpg

We literally passed out upon reaching camp the night before so no fishing was done, however, We had discovered our pushes in mileage had gotten us back on schedule and we had a rest day planned in this basin; to day hike, explore, fish, eat, drink whatever we plaeased! We slept in then I made some chocolate chip pancakes smothered with sausage flavored country gravy!!! YUM!!!!!!! After breakfast we hiked around the basin fishing several lakes we even had some thunderstorms test our ponchos out! One gave me the skunk, some only offered a few small ones, others offered 9-12" ers on every cast, and a couple others offered healthy 14 inch fatties every 5 or ten minutes of fishing! After a fun day of different stlyes of fishing from fast to slow small to big fish we settled to a big dinner and some whiskey by the fire! It felt good to feel 100% again and it sucked it happened as we were about to head home the next morning.
IMG_0904.jpg

IMG_0905.jpg
IMG_0906.jpg
IMG_0907.jpg
IMG_0908.jpg
IMG_0909.jpg
IMG_0910.jpg
IMG_0911.jpg
IMG_0912.jpg
IMG_0913.jpg

The next morning we now well fed and well rested worked like a well oiled machine. I'm not sure of all the factors; lighter weight, rested body, high moral, etc. but we broke camp by 8am and arrived at the highway by 1pm that's 14 miles and rocky sea pass, which seemed a baby mountain pass in comparison to what we had encountered on our trip, in 5 hours! During the trip my gps logged 78 hiking miles across some of Utah's most rugged terrain. Memories were made and I'm sure its a trip I won;t soon forget!
IMG_0914.jpg
IMG_0915.jpg
IMG_0916.jpg
IMG_0917.jpg
IMG_0918.jpg
IMG_0919.jpg
IMG_0920.jpg
IMG_0921.jpg
IMG_0922.jpg

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk 2

Featured Image for the Homepage
slide.jpg

Congrats on completing the Highline. Looks like a total blast.

good report! I've wanted to get up in the uinta's a lot lately, especially in the middle of summer when the desert is too damn hot.

Thanks for sharing your trip, looks like it was a fantastic getaway. I'm aching for next season too!

Great trip report and well documented. Has me itching for next summer

chocolate chip pancakes smothered with sausage flavored country gravy
Dude, no wonder your stomach hurt!

You guys know how to do breakfast! :twothumbs: