Murdock Canal Trail

DrNed

The mountains are calling and I must go
The Murdock Canla Trail is a paved "trail" that follows where the Murdock Canal used to flow.

The canal was the width and of depth of a nice river. As little ones my children were introduced to the various water fowl, particularly ducks and their lines of little ducklings, that floated the canal.

Unfortunately, it was piped and buried a few years ago. In its place they left a black top "trail". I mention this all because this became my first "outdoor cause."

In the end, the masses wanted the paved road and the accompanying bathrooms and trash cans, etc. for biking, walking, running and horse back riding. It seems as though it's been a real win for the biking community.

It runs 17 miles through the neighborhoods of several Utah County towns and connects to the Provo River Trail on the south and the Jordan River Trail on the north, creating, what I would guess as 70+ miles of paved trails.

It even gets scraped after it snows.

Into this wilderness we embarked early Saturday to do a 20 mile hike for the Hiking Merit Badge.

We began at my home, hiked the 1/4 mile east to catch the trail and then headed south. The plan was to go 5 miles south, turn around and return to our starting point, then go 5 miles north and again I return to the start point. This enabled us to do 20 miles without ever being very far from home.

Early morning glow over the mountains as we head south.
image.jpeg

We did our first 10 in just over three hours, which included first aid time to tend to a nasty heel blister I developed. I guess thats what I get for doing it in athletic shoes instead of my hiking boots.

Looking up at the mountain as we head north through Pleasant Grove. This view is just north of the "G" mountain.
image.png

The Murdock Canal Trail for all practical purposes is flat and runs at about 4800 feet above sea level. Looking west over north Utah Valley. That gray stuff in the air is what we call inversion.
image.png

I do love me some Americana.
image.png

image.png

image.png

Along the way we met Ted from 22 Too Many. He's a combat medic out rucking to commemorate his military brothers who die at their own hand every day. On average, 22 active and retired military personnel take their lives every day.
image.jpeg

We also met this guy. The boys thought it was pretty cool to hear an NFL tight end tell them what they were doing was "big time." I'm sure the local BYU fans will recognize him. He's probably most famous for helping Philadelphia get to the Super Bowl some years ago.
image.jpeg

Another Pleasant Grove landmark - The Bingham Barn.
image.png

image.png

The end is in sight!
image.png

The last five miles we had several unanticipated stops. Plus, the last 4 miles was just brutal. I soothed the boys aching legs and feet by stuffing them with pizza at the local buffett.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    626.8 KB · Views: 41
  • image.png
    image.png
    692.2 KB · Views: 41
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Perry Early Winter Day Hike to Packard Lake Plus Murdock Fire Recon Hiking & Camping 9
Bob Murdock fire ... Uintad Trip Planning 2
Dave The Murdock Fire General Discussion 13
jar155 Murdock Basin, Uinta Mountains 7.28.2018 Hiking & Camping 2
Yvonne Hiking the Hurricane Canal and Hurricane Rim Loop, February 15 Hiking & Camping 4
Seldom Seen Anderson Hurricane Canal and Rim Loop Hiking & Camping 6
L Stevens Canyon - Baker Trail water availability Trip Planning 7
TrailScot Escalante Loop via Dry Hollow and Boulder Mail Trail - September 2023 Backpacking 8
Tweedie Weminuche off-Trail from Elk Park to Needleton 2023 (Via Vestal, Balsam, Noname and Ruby) Backpacking 15
beaver-one Section Hiking the PCT (Pacific Crest Trail): Oregon + Washington Trip Planning 3
balzaccom Hard work on the trail--literally Hiking & Camping 3
b.stark Brent's Trail Hiking & Camping 1
Bob Trans Canada trail Trip Planning 0
TrailScot Dayhiking the Under-the-Rim Trail - Bryce Canyon NP - October 2023 Hiking & Camping 4
Outdoors24 A weekend on the Pony Express Trail Off Road 2
wsp_scott Lakeshore Trail and two creeks in the Smokies Backpacking 6
J Paria Canyon - One Day Trail Trip Planning 10
A Teton Crest Trail Shuttle Resource Discussions 3
TractorDoc CVNP Towpath Trail 07/16/2023 Hiking & Camping 4
balzaccom Trail Crews--one more time Backpacking 1
Bob 206 mile water trail Trip Planning 0
Bob New USA long trail Trip Planning 2
Henk Hiking The Portal Trail, Moab Everything Else 2
L Boulder Mail Trail April 2023 Qs Trip Planning 14
fossana AZ Strip bike exploration (Sunshine Trail/Hurricane Wash Loop) Everything Else 3
W Gulf of Slides Ski Trail Trip Report 1/25/2022 Trip Reports 0
B Sawtooths - Off Trail Route Plan Trip Planning 9
balzaccom Trail Crew Story General Discussion 0
marquiri Off Trail Advice Trip Planning 17
balzaccom More trail work! Backpacking 0
Miya Pacific Crest Trail (NOBO) Part 10/10 Backpacking 59
R Pony Express Trail, Black Rock to Simpson Springs Hiking & Camping 3
Miya Pacific Crest Trail (NOBO) Part 9/10 Backpacking 16
Miya Pacific Crest Trail (NOBO) Part 8/10 Backpacking 42
Miya Pacific Crest Trail (NOBO) Part 7/10 Backpacking 10
R Wind River Range: Green River Lakes/Clarks Trail/Porcupine Creek Trail Trip Planning 3
Miya Pacific Crest Trail (NOBO) Part 6/10 Backpacking 10
dennisrodman A week in the Grand Canyon / Boucher / Hermit / Tonto Trail Trip Planning 4
Miya Pacific Crest Trail (NOBO) Part 5/10 Backpacking 20
Ellen Zion West Rim Trail, December 2022 Trip Planning 3
Miya Pacific Crest Trail (NOBO) Part 4/10 Backpacking 13
Miya Pacific Crest Trail (NOBO) Part 3/10 Backpacking 7
Miya Pacific Crest Trail (NOBO) Part 2/10 Backpacking 35
Miya Pacific Crest Trail (NOBO) Part 1/10 Backpacking 23
R Pony Express Trail Hiking Recommendations Trip Planning 4
balzaccom Desolation Trail Work Backpacking 7
JBG Water Beta 2022 - Highline Trail Trip Planning 6
kwc Backpacking on the Northville Placid Trail (NPT) Backpacking 13
4 Centennial Trail SD information Trip Planning 1
The Trout Whisperer I took on Hotter than H£#§ !!! Hotwater Trail in Texas… Hiking & Camping 19