Mts. Williamson & Tyndall

toejam

My Rainier buddy Pryor was in town shortly after our big trip. Being an avid climber from Leadville, CO, he was ready for 14,000' in the high Sierra. We left my place in Pismo Beach alittle after 3:00 a.m., and, after getting lost in Tehachapi, we made it to the Lone Pine Interagency Center a little after 8:00 a.m. We were trying to get a permit for South Fork Big Pine Creek to climb Middle Palisade, but nothing was available close to that. The backup plan was Shepherd Pass, which, not surprisingly, had overnight permits available. At the trailhead.
DSCF1271.JPG

We headed up the trail in that jazzed, first-day-in-the-mountains manner and quickly chewed up miles and elevation. The trail to Shepherd Pass is ugly, which is to say it’s beautiful but not to the standard of the rest of the Sierra, and enthusiasm goes a long way. Those willing to hike it are usually peak baggers. The trail to Shepherd Pass.
DSCF1278.JPG

Sitting on a log at Anvil Camp to refuel, we had the good fortune to engage 3 young women in conversation. While I was bragging about rising early at the beach and climbing all the way up there, two of them admitted to being from San Luis Obispo. Turns out one has a blog I follow and the other has backpacked with a friend of mine.

The women were stopping there for the night, but we were trying to act like super hard climbers, so we had to move on. I tried to fool myself into believing that the top of the pass was “a mile; mile and a half.” It was actually a long two miles and another 2000’ of climbing. We set up camp near the lake at the top and the 12,000’ of gain hurt me. The acclimatization from Mt. Rainier three weeks earlier was gone. There was no way I was going to choke down a Mountain House. After crawling in the bag, I had a bad case of Cheyne-Stokes and stopped breathing every time I nodded off. Pryor said, “Yeah, I had that really bad at 17,000’.” After maybe a half hour I finally fell asleep breathing and slept well all night. Camp at Shepherd Pass.
10531428_10203845713177544_1894718368967695090_o.jpg

We awoke to alpenglow on Mt. Tyndall and felt ready to climb. We saw the three women heading up as we finished loading our packs. They took the rocky route across the right side of Williamson Bowl, and we took the sandier route to the left. A couple hours later we rested on the moraine below the black stain and saw that we were well ahead of the women. Mt. Williamson across the bowl.
DSCF1297.JPG

Climbing the chute.
DSCF1303.JPG

I struggled to keep my head clear while gasping for oxygen. I turned us right into the wrong gully and stupidly pursued it until it became too steep and icy to climb. We gingerly backtracked and Pryor said he heard the women pass by on the correct route. We caught them atthe bottom of the class 3+ chimney leading to the summit ridge. Embarrassed, I didn’t bother taking a break, but started working up the crack. Pryor, not to be outdone, scrambled over the top of me and waited for us on the summit. Jill fell in behind me and hollered back instructions to the other girls.
10548675_10203845739618205_3076193995238884090_o.jpg

On top.
10368951_10203845753218545_2629165916842052001_o.jpg

10583032_10203845755218595_2108500327204352246_o.jpg

Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

It was nearly 4:00 p.m. when we stopped below Mt. Tyndall’s north rib. A cloud was over the mountain, but I dismissed it when I saw a guy climbing the route. We figured we could be up and back to camp before dark. We’d bragged to the women that we would climb both 14ers that day and Milestone Mountain the next. Considering the toll the altitude was taking on me, I decided Milestone wasn’t going to happen. So I suggested that we would have a lot more fun climbing Mt. Tyndall in the morning. Pryor agreed.

Back at camp Pryor discovered marmots had chewed a hole in his tent and gotten into some dehydrated meals, which he couldn’t stuff into the canister and thought would be safe. Lightning, thunder, and hail started and we waited out the storm in our tents for the next hour or so. We hadn’t seen the women, so we knew they were out in it, and we were glad we weren’t.

The next morning we were up with the sun and headed for Mt.Tyndall.
10556955_10203845714617580_626508761118804484_o.jpg

Pryor was drawn to the smooth slabs to the right of the north rib and walked upright. I tried to find something to hold on to and stayed to his left.
10534106_10203845760378724_5328751790520892156_o.jpg

The unrelenting steepness of the slope gets you to the top quickly, and we were at the summit within two hours of leaving camp. The high point consists of two large stacked boulders that overhang a 2000’ drop. Pryor immediately climbed them and sat on top. I kinda sprawled up there, with my center of gravity on the side away from the abyss, for a summit photo.
10583007_10203845762338773_8890739362118421897_o.jpg

Me looking into the abyss with Mt. Williamson in the background.
DSCF1341.JPG

On the way down we ran into the guy we’d seen climbing the day before. He was a young dude from Wisconsin who said he hunkered down just below the summit ridge for an hour and a half when the storm blew in the previous afternoon.

The marmots had raided camp again. They chewed new holes inboth of our tents even though there was nothing edible in either. Pryor also had a hole in his down bag. We packed up to hike towards the warmth, trees, and thicker air by the Kern River.

We reached Tyndall Creek after 3.5 featureless miles and Pryor had lost interest. But I convinced him that he didn’t want to stay there with the JMT crowd, and we pushed on another 3.5 more interesting miles to a beautiful unnamed lake that has the upper Kern River flowing through it. Nice scenery hiking toward the Kern.
DSCF1354.JPG

We found an idyllic spot to camp on the south side, and enjoyed and evening of classic Sierra Nevada backpacking.
10604514_10203845776019115_7747551069150921666_o.jpg

During the night, clouds covered the full moon and another thunderstorm ensued. Ear plugs allowed me to sleep until dawn. We broke down a soggy camp and got started on the long hike back to the trailhead. We had nice views of moving light and clouds on some spectacular mountains.
DSCF1379.JPG

But once across Tyndall Creek we were in rain driven by strong gusts. We didn’t stop at Shepherd Pass, but headed down, hoping for better weather on the desert side. Several parties were headed up into the squall, and we wished them luck. The rain followed us down the trail and kept us moving quickly. I remembered coming down that trail previously had taken much longer than I thought it would, and this time was no different. We hadn’t noticed the number of saddle crossings (3) and switchbacks (maybe 100) on the way up and couldn’t believe we’d actually climbed all that. But after eight hours of dogged persistence we covered the 16 miles to the trailhead, changed into dry clothes, and headed for the Pizza Factory.

That is some beautiful country out there. You peakbaggers are a fascinating breed and do some amazing stuff.

Last edited:
Wonderful scenery!

I got a chuckle out of trying stay ahead of the ladies. I can relate. My main means of staying in shape is swimming. One of my swim partners is a lady who I struggle to keep up with. When she first started coming to the pool it bothered me a lot that she was better (significantly better) than I am. I took solace in the fact that she's an elite athlete and half my age, but I'm sure that I've never been, at any age, as good as she is. Now I'm so used to it that I hardly ever think about it while I'm struggling to keep up.

Nice peaks bagged!!! The sierras never lack in adventure. Thank you for sharing. There are times, if I'm in the frame of mind, that it doesn't matter who is ahead I have to keep going. I think it's my inner child never wanting to lose. Because, as we all know, it doesn't have to be a competition...it just is. :)

Salud!