Mt. Sopris, Co

gnwatts

I have been cataloging my shots these days, in an attempt to organize. So I thought i would post a few shots of my favorite mountain. It rises nearly 7000' above Carbondale, where we live. I have climbed it every year since we arrived in the Roaring Fork Valley in 1997, many times alone, a few times with my son (first time when he was 7, he is now 22), and it always is a different experience. Thank God they did not rename it "John Denver Peak", that was a close call! Like all mountains they have many moods, and I have tried to capture just a few of them, from many angles and perspectives.
I hope you enjoy them.
Edit: Just noticed I have posted a few of these in other areas. My apologies, getting old.

From the dog park below our house:

I00000Mwqy2ZyfSY.jpg

From the north, with Thompson Creek and the Crystal River Valley below:

I0000fil_pA83gxo.jpg

I0000s2dlGJn.5g4.jpg

I0000XCwE8lIoiYU.jpg

I00008q9dl8m_2yE.jpg

I0000n0Nwlqd.go0.jpg

I0000RX4Yo7k.loQ.jpg

From a pull off on Hwy. 82:

I0000G2HrU_LkYxk.jpg

My son Kyle on the South summit:

I0000Qgw6mbzGEC8.jpg

I am not sure how to describe this one. Teenage angst?

I0000rCD1O_Oq6_4.jpg

On the way down, much of the Elk Range in the background, Aspen, Snowmass and Aspen Highlands too:

I0000bjG5w_j.fWo.jpg

Reflections in Thomas Lake:

I0000gpy7yhbC_B4.jpg

I0000ucM5JtmA9Ds.jpg

I0000GCkoQ_CvILU.jpg

Early morning from the dog park:

I0000ImPiV3eml1s.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

Last edited:
Heck ya dude! I am going to have to check this out. I have been on the Front Range for about 2 years and have been in hell on the trails do to the amount of d-bags on them. The first few miles are always pcked. I have done a few good trips but totally miss the solitude I could find 10 mins from my home in North Ogden.

Outstanding Greg! Great life's work :twothumbs:

A great idea as well as great photography. A theme or post about a peak. I love it!

Since it didn't get named after John Denver what was it named for? A little history perhaps? Elevation?

Thanks for the comments.

The mountain was named after Captain Richard Sopris, who visited the Roaring Fork Valley in 1860. He was also the mayor of Denver for awhile.
Both summits are 12,953'. It's in prime condition for boarding right now, wish I was in better shape!

Amazing series. That first one made me drop everything to check it out! I will definitely have to see this peak some day.

Wonderful photos, Greg!
Very nice landscapes of Co.

Gesendet von meinem HTC One X mit Tapatalk 2

You are gifted!

Thanks, all your comments are very much appreciated.

Greg, your black and white photos are incredible. I don't know how you do it, but it but it's certainly inspiring.