MSR snowshoes

Tater Head

Hoo are you looking at?
I'm looking to get my first pair of snowshoes for Christmas. Everything I have read points to the MSR Lighting Assents. My question is should I go with the 25 inch or the 30 inch... I weigh 185 pounds and plan on doing mostly backcountry hiking (no golf courses for me)... Thanks for any help you can give.

I weigh around 220 and have the 25" with the 5" tails. They have worked out for me so far. I wanted the shorter length for when I am on packed trails, but can always add the tails for powder.

Side comment: I'm sure you want them now so you can use them ASAP. But, I stumbled on my Lightnings for 40 or 50% off when I bought them in the spring years ago. Just food for thought in case you can wait to buy them and want to save some coin.

As for your question...'m not sure I can help too much. Might depend on what type of snow you'll actually be on (packed vs off trail). Many times I go into the backcountry only to find packed trails (from other snow shoes, skis, etc). Also if you'll have a heavy pack. I guess I'd probably err on the side of caution and get the longer ones. Others may be more helpful. =)

Well I don't have any insight on the MSR snowshoes, but I do have at least another brand for you to consider. Last year I got a pair of Northern Lites brand snowshoes, 25" Backcountry model. At first I was skeptical, as I was using 30" tubbs. They are incredibly light, about a pound lighter than the MSR lightning at least according to the websites. Some background on how I use mine for comparison...I'm about 190-195 lbs. I wear them about 3-5 days a week working outside in northern wisconsin, mostly flat but some hills out in the woods, pretty deep snow, no trails, usually below zero often down to -20. Also, the straps fit a fairly large pac boot, I have lacrosse icemans. I haven't had a problem with the quality of the rubber straps at all. As far as I can tell, the only major advantage of the MSR is the add on tails. They are also light and agile enough to not be cumbersome on packed trails.

Anyway hope I could help a bit.

There are several models of Lightning Ascents - one with the ratchet bindings and one with the "regular" MSR bindings. I think the prices range from $250-$300 for the lightning line.

You would need no more than the 25 inch shoes. I think they handle up to 220 lbs w/o tails, and up to 250 with tails. This is total weight (pack, body weight).

I have a pair of 25" MSR Evo Tour shoes that I am very happy with. I snowshoe with the family in the state forest near my house. Pretty flat terrain. I have the tail extensions but only used them once to try them out. Haven't needed them. I'm about 160#, w/o pack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk