Monarch Hatching

And there I was, for the first 27 years of my life, believing what I heard as a kid that if you touched a butterfly's wings, it would never be able to fly again and so it would die.

Very cool photos! I think I recall reading somewhere that the monarch population is threatened or something like that, so it's great to hear about a whole cloud of them.

My neighbor quickly tagged 20 Monarchs this afternoon in our front yard, it didn’t take her long. I thought we just had a few Monarchs today.....! The stickers are super sticky, you have to use a toothpick and not touch the glue on the backside. I screwed up one of her stickers.

I’m still having trouble seeing fingers on a butterfly, but it’s suppose to be ok. I saw some fly around with stickers on later in the day. It would be interesting, if some of these tagged Monarchs are later found in Mexico!

@Janice - awesome photos! Thanks for posting the male ID photo, I wasn’t sure myself. Before catching them, my neighbor looked for the gender, caught them with a net, double checked and wrote it down on the list, if it was a male or a female.