Middle Fork Weber River, June 2006

Nick

-
June 2006

This trip has brought me to the reality that I won't be going backpacking as much as I would like purely because it totally sucks to do it alone. It has its upsides of course like being able to move as fast or slow as you want. Hmm... what else. You get a lot of quiet time. Thats nice. But when it comes down to it, company is good and sometimes it can save you.

• trip date: 6/17 - 6/18/06
  • distance: 7.5 Miles
  • starting point: Holiday Park Trailhead on the Middle Weber
  • ending point: The goal *was* Abe's Lake
  • elevation: Trailhead elevation was 8,040', peak elevation for this trip turned out to be 8,734'

It's never a good sign when a trip starts with getting pulled over en route to the trailhead.
middle-fork-weber-river-1.jpg

This all went down between Park City and Oakley on the Brown's Canyon Road. The cop apparently clocked me going 69 in a 55. After sitting there for a while he came back and said 'dispatch must be on a smoke break' and let me off with nothing but a verbal warning. Go dispatch!
middle-fork-weber-river-2.jpg

This is the road that winds up Weber Canyon outside of Oakley. What a beautiful day.
middle-fork-weber-river-3.jpg

Nikita salivating for some open space.
middle-fork-weber-river-5.jpg

About a mile and a half down the trail came the first river crossing. There was no suitable crossing to be found so I decided to search upstream.
middle-fork-weber-river-6.jpg

A few hundred yards upstream I found this log jam. It worked okay until it broke and about sent me downstream.
middle-fork-weber-river-7.jpg

Back on the trail, it's obvious this hadn't seen much use yet this year. You can hardly even see the trail in this shot.
middle-fork-weber-river-8.jpg

About a mile and a half after the last river crossing came this one. I looked at the map and realized that if I bush whack it up the wrong side of the river for about a mile I would reconnect with the Abe's Lake trail. It seemed like a good idea at the time so I left the trail and started up the other side of the river.
middle-fork-weber-river-9.jpg

Bush-whacking up the wrong side of the river was hard work.
middle-fork-weber-river-10.jpg

Yeah. So the make my own trail thing didn't really work out. After trudging through boulder fields and thick forest I ran into this nice little road block. This is where things started to get bad... very bad. My options were A. Turn around and hike roughly .75 miles back to the river crossing at which point I would get very wet crossing the river. Or B. Hike straight up the slope you see to the left of this photo and hope I can get to a spot where I can manage a traverse to continue my path up canyon. I should've gone with A. But I am a dumbass and I chose B.
middle-fork-weber-river-11.jpg

So there are certain things you should avoid when backpacking alone. Near the top of that list are off-trail hiking, negotiating downed trees with a pack on, and bouldering. For those of you not familiar with the term, bouldering is essentially rock climbing without a rope. From the time I left the trail I did a lot of all of those things. When I made the decision to hike up above the river instead of going back I didn't realize that the slope was as steep as it was. I ended up climbing roughly 200 vertical feet from the river. It was bad... super steep. Every footstep I had to kick in my foot and test the ground or I would slide down the slope into the rapids below. My heart was racing a million miles per hour. And the cherry on top was this nice little piece of rock near the top. By this point a fall would have been almost definitely fatal. And if it weren't fatal I would've wished it had been. Did you ever see Planko on The Price is Right? Well I would've been the Planko puck and the trees and boulders would've been the posts on the gameboard. The raging river below would've been the end. Anyway, this sucked. Every rock I held onto was coming out of the wall. Oh yeah, and I was doing it with a 35 pound pack on and treking poles hanging fom my wrists. Lame.
middle-fork-weber-river-12.jpg

The one good thing about my death climb... the view.
middle-fork-weber-river-13.jpg

Hiking up on the ridge wasn't too bad. I never saw any sign of humans, I can't help but think that very few people have ever walked through here considering the difficulty to reach this shelf.
middle-fork-weber-river-14.jpg

After a while the slope forced me back down to the river and I found a reasonable crossing. This is back on the main trail.
middle-fork-weber-river-15.jpg

This is the turn-off to Abe's Lake. By this point I was just too exausted to try and make it up there so I decided to spend the night by the river.
middle-fork-weber-river-16.jpg

The obligatory campsite self-portrait. Nikita was out hunting squirrel.
middle-fork-weber-river-17.jpg

The night consisted of me sitting by a fire consuming backcountry cocktails. It was okay. I did however manage to get an excellent 11 hours of sleep. The river was only a stones throw from my tent... nothing like good white noise for the dreams. It was a strange night.
middle-fork-weber-river-18.jpg

The next day I decided to just suck it up and get a little wet on the river crossings. There were a few times I thought Nikita was going to get swept away but she stuck in there.
middle-fork-weber-river-19.jpg

middle-fork-weber-river-20.jpg

Heading home again...
middle-fork-weber-river-21.jpg

Reactions: Ben
generally worse than off trail hiking is improv off trail hiking.