Middle Fork, Taylor Creek, Zion

John Fowler

Are we there yet? I followed this RV out of the tunnel headed toward the campground.

_DSC4505.jpg

On my first full day at Zion, I drove west through La Verkin and then north through Toquerville until I reached I-15. At exit 40 I left the interstate for Kolob Canyons Road. Two miles up this road there is a parking area for the Taylor Creek trailhead. It's a 2.5 mile walk down a nice trail to my destination: double arch alcove. The trail starts off going steeply down about a hundred steps, where it levels out. the rest of the way it's a gradual (imperceptible) uphill climb of about 600 feet over the remaining two miles.

At about the one mile point the trail for the north fork splits off. Just up this trail a few feet there is an abandoned homesteader cabin.

_DSC4506_7_8_tonemapped.jpg

Back on the middle fork trail, I enjoyed the leaves, which were in full color during this last week of October. There were many small waterfalls in the creek. By throwing in a handful of leaves and using a slow shutter speed, I was able to get some interesting blurred leaf shots as they floated down the stream.

_DSC4512_3_4_tonemapped.jpg

_DSC4626.jpg

_DSC4726_7_8_tonemapped.jpg

Near the two mile point there is another abandoned cabin.

b_DSC4630.jpg

At double arch alcove I spent some time shooting the view. The trail continues on but becomes more difficult. I turned around here. There are many trails in this isolated area of Zion, and a multi day trip this time of year might yield some remarkable views.

corrected_b_DSC4599 Panorama.jpg

c_DSC4660.jpg

Very nice! I haven't really considered hiking the Taylor Creek Trail but now it's definitely on my list. The colors are superb, sure wish they had been popping like that when I did The Subway on October 15th this year. :( Next year...

Very nice! I haven't really considered hiking the Taylor Creek Trail but now it's definitely on my list. The colors are superb, sure wish they had been popping like that when I did The Subway on October 15th this year. :( Next year...
I did the subway the next day after Taylor creek. The colors then were OK but might have been better a week later. BTW I did the lower part, out and back from the left fork trailhead. I would like to do the full hike someday, coming in from the top. Just not sure I would be up to it.

I did the subway the next day after Taylor creek. The colors then were OK but might have been better a week later. BTW I did the lower part, out and back from the left fork trailhead. I would like to do the full hike someday, coming in from the top. Just not sure I would be up to it.

Honestly, that bottom up route is by far the most strenuous way to see The Subway. I always feel great once we get down past the subway section but that last 3 miles of boulder-hopping, bush-whacking and ducking through trees is rough! Especially doing it both directions.

The top down route is much easier so long as you're okay with a bit of down climbing and/or rappelling. My wife isn't really a fan of either of those things and she handled it like a champ on our August trip. I tied her in and lowered her for the final rap (30 feet) because she was nervous but otherwise it was cake. A wetsuit would be needed for all but the hottest months but they can be rented at Zion Adventure Company in Springdale.

Honestly, that bottom up route is by far the most strenuous way to see The Subway. I always feel great once we get down past the subway section but that last 3 miles of boulder-hopping, bush-whacking and ducking through trees is rough! Especially doing it both directions.

The top down route is much easier so long as you're okay with a bit of down climbing and/or rappelling. My wife isn't really a fan of either of those things and she handled it like a champ on our August trip. I tied her in and lowered her for the final rap (30 feet) because she was nervous but otherwise it was cake. A wetsuit would be needed for all but the hottest months but they can be rented at Zion Adventure Company in Springdale.
I've been rappelling once and thoroughly enjoyed it, but I was with an expert. I don't know enough to do it by myself. Maybe sometime I can get in with a group and do the top to bottom hike. (hint-hint)

I'd be up for leading a big group through sometime this year. It would be worth it just to see the grins on everyone's faces. There's just something about that place... I'll see if I can't secure some permits once the conditions are right.

I'd be up for leading a big group through sometime this year. It would be worth it just to see the grins on everyone's faces. There's just something about that place... I'll see if I can't secure some permits once the conditions are right.
I'd take you up on this if you do it!

It's a great series! I especially like the vertorama of the double arch alcove. A great hike as well, I'd like to do it again one day.