Mid-October Backpacking

Rock

Me and a couple buddies have 5 days off in October (around the 13th), and we're looking to a 3-4 day trip with no more than probably 10 miles of hiking per day, as we will have two relative beginners in the group. I have plenty of backpacking experience, but little experience planning trips. It was recommended that I try Upper Muley Twist, or Coyote Gulch. I also read a trip report by @Nick about his trip in
Salt Creek in May 2011 and am leaning towards doing that trip. I've never planned a trip requiring permits before so how would I go about obtaining those?
Also, any guidebooks or other trips you might recommend?

Are you specifically looking for redrock? On a warmer than usual year (this year predicted) with Noaa not predicting early snows...and if you are prepared for snow just in case....you would find some wonderful solitude in places that would normally not have it....like the Uintas for example. But on the 17th all of that will end as the Utah, general, rifle, deer hunt begins.

I'm not really looking for anything in particular, but something that won't be too crowded. I was really hoping to do a trip up to Allsop, I still might do it that week but I wanted to have a warmer trip planned just in case the Uintas were getting pummeled by snow.

Thank you for that link @Kullaberg63

I think October is probably the most crowded time for hikes like Coyote Gulch and is not crowded in the Uintas then. For me October is canyoneering season or mountain biking so I would probably suggest Neon Canyon and the golden cathedral if you canyoneer and want to combine that with some off road camping (though not a 4 day trek). But, were I looking for a backpack trip, I think I would plan the Uintas. Even those areas not designated wilderness will likely not be crowded then. If you want a desert plan B I would look at the San Rafael Swell. Loads of wanderings to do there. You could even set up a base camp and do a couple of one night excursions from there. Several SRS experts on here.

I don't wish any bad luck for you....but know that I am starting my snowdance rituals weekly now and will increase those to every other day by October :) Come on snow!! I definitely hope your trip gets snowed out!!

Oh yeah I get where you're coming from:) I normally wouldn't mind the snow but there's a few from the group thay don't have any snow gear. Good idea on the Swell too. I completely forgot about that whole area of Utah. I think you've given me some great ideas.

I think allsop is still an option because it's not a very long hike and we can be as prepared as possible for snow.

I'll have to remember some of my past trips in the Swell, maybe revisit some old spots. Thanks for mentioning that it opens up entire worlds for me

The High Uintas in October will be cold at night. It's already dropping below freezing up there. Also, your days are shorter. And the flowers are all dead. I'd go south, personally.

Any recommendations for down south that won't be absolutely packed?

It would almost be easier to tell you where not to go if you just don't want it to be packed. Moab, for example. Just go dive into the trip reports and you'll find plenty of inspiration.

Tough time of year of you want solitude. I might try the Paria to Lee's Ferry. Probably through Wire Pass.

Easy 10 mile days, most of the people will be in the Wire Pass/confluence area.

Watch out for the Utah Highway Patrol there though. Cost me an extra $1000 last time I was in the area. Profiling d-bags.

Just read your TR on Arizona Creek-Teton Wilderness @scatman . Looks like a really simple yet really scenic trail. I'll have to look into it a little bit more. Thank you!

The last time I did the Fish/Owl loop (a while ago) it was crowded, mid week in the fall. Upper Fish (above the Fish/Owl loop exit) is empty usually though. Road Canyon, Pt. Lookout (a beautiful, elegant place!), parts of Slickhorn, Texas Canyon, Johns Canyon (lower and upper), these areas are still less visited. The lower sections of Grand Gulch tend to be less crowded, area around Collins Spring. It has been a few years since I have visited Cedar Mesa, so things might have changed.

I think I recall reading a couple of good trip reports on Road Canyon here on BCP. It seems to be a beautiful place if I recall correctly and if what you said about the crowds is true it might just be the perfect trip for that time of year.

One of my favorite car camp spots is at the end of Cigarette Springs Road, with easy access to the Citadel, and Road Canyon proper.

I don't, I am kind of a Ludite when it comes to those things. Cigarette Springs Road is easy to find, drive on UT-261 about 9.5 miles past the Kane Gulch Ranger Station, turn left and follow that road until it ends (maybe 5 or 6 miles).