memorial weekend...gulp

gloo

{insert witty remark here}
So..what are your plans for memorial weekend?

as for me... I have some friends who want me to whip together something for that weekend. they aren't big campers and I don't' like crowds (and I'll be getting back the day before from a week long trip) so that leaves me pretty limited. I'm thinking muddy creek/tomish butte area. I've been there before so that makes planning easier, it will be hot enough to drive away some people, its remote enough that not a lot know about it so I figure crowds there will be significantly less than else where. I hope my assumptions are right. thoughts on that?

Anywhere that's fairly far from civilization shouldn't be too crowded. Also, I'm betting that southern Utah won't be as busy this year as it was last year because of the temps warming up and the fact that several of the main mountain roads like AF Canyon and Mirror Lake Hwy are expected to open that weekend.

Going to be in Capitol Reef, Looks like Upper Muley for this years anniversary is in store.

Last for memorial day we backpacked Willow gulch and saw 2 people in 2 days. We may do a quick car camping trip in the Uintas but I plan on shooting the downhill mountain bike race at Sundance this year.

I hope my assumptions are right. thoughts on that?

I'm not a huge fan on that area... sure I've camped there but aside from the muddy there not many options down there.

I've had great luck on memorial day weekend in Captiol Reef... just avoid Frutia except when setting up the shuttle for Sulphur Creek. I know of a few out of the park camp sites I'd be willing to share so PM me if your interested.

The higher reaches of the Swell can be pretty nice time of year. Eardley canyon is HUGE and you could spend a few days exploring the various upper forks of that canyon. Not many people take the time to explore Red Draw, Eardley, and Crawford and you could go all weekend with out seeing anyone off the main road.

Eardley-2008-5-4 (113) by Summit42, on Flickr

Eardley-2008-5-4 (51) by Summit42, on Flickr

Crawford Draw 11.11.2006 by Summit42, on Flickr

i will unfortunately be stuck in the store selling sundries to tourists & hikers, though i should have a few days off before the weekend & plan on getting out on an overnight, where, not sure, but most likely somewhere on or around the north Escalante drainages or river

proper.
Anywhere that's fairly from from civilization shouldn't be too crowded. Also, I'm betting that southern Utah won't be as busy this year as it was last year because of the temps warming up and the fact that several of the main mountain roads like AF Canyon and Mirror Lake Hwy are expected to open that weekend.

you are right about the temps. we are hovering around 80 degrees in Boulder meaning more towards 90-95 out in the desert, especially out Hole in the Rock. but the nights have still been getting pretty chilly, though improving. finally time to get a few more things planted in the garden.

Havasupai

Awesome, I'll be just getting back from there (literally)! perhaps I may see you down there.

Summit..eardly and those canyons would be cool, but the peeps I'm probably going with don't really have technical gear, nor have ever hit canyons to that really limits what we can explore there I believe. I was looking at having cistern and ramp canyons as a backup option in muddy creek. they're (pretty) non technical and I've heard they're great canyons. PMing you for camps near capitol reef just in case. Sulfur creek would be perfect for these guys that's for sure..haha

Nick, that sounds so cool, can't wait for your epic TR on that one

Summit..eardly and those canyons would be cool, but the peeps I'm probably going with don't really have technical gear, nor have ever hit canyons to that really limits what we can explore there I believe.

Only the lower end is technical and you would want to hit it from highway 24. The upper end its fantastic, remote, and just off i-70. Heres my Upper Eardley map.
Cliff Dweller is typically pretty windy and exposed for camping but the vies are fracking awesome. There are plenty of sites in the Head of Sinbad area near the Swazey Cabin that will help provide some late afternoon shade.

I was looking at having cistern and ramp canyons as a backup option in muddy creek. they're (pretty) non technical and I've heard they're great canyons. PMing you for camps near capitol reef just in case. Sulfur creek would be perfect for these guys that's for sure..haha

Between those canyons is a long open slog and could be pretty brutal in the heat.
Also theres a tricky obstacle in the middle of ramp so bring a rope.

Awesome, I'll be just getting back from there (literally)! perhaps I may see you down there.

What day are you leaving? We are arriving 25th to camp up top somewhere and hiking early early am on Sat morning.

We were originally thinking Capitol Reef, but I think we may go north instead. I've really been wanting to go back to Dinosaur NM and that's a great place to beat the crowds.

I'm not sure it's going to be a place to beat the crowds this year. The visitor center and dino wall have been closed for a few years now, and with them just opening up again recently there will be more people than usual looking out that way.

What day are you leaving? We are arriving 25th to camp up top somewhere and hiking early early am on Sat morning.

Sweet! we might just miss each other on the trail.. I'll be hiking out on the 25th (arrive on the 21st)

Only the lower end is technical and you would want to hit it from highway 24. The upper end its fantastic, remote, and just off i-70. Heres my Upper Eardley map.
Cliff Dweller is typically pretty windy and exposed for camping but the vies are fracking awesome. There are plenty of sites in the Head of Sinbad area near the Swazey Cabin that will help provide some late afternoon shade.

Between those canyons is a long open slog and could be pretty brutal in the heat.
Also theres a tricky obstacle in the middle of ramp so bring a rope.

Sweet, that does look like a cool place to check out. didn't know there was much non technical stuff to check out in that area. looking quickly at that map, it looks like its near greasewood canyon. are there a bunch of junipers in the area? though I'll likely just stick with muddy creek just because of time.

I'm planning on playing it by ear depending on the temps. If it gets hot again I will propably head up to the Uinta's but if it stays cool I will head on down to the San Rafael Swell. I plan on taking my 9 month old out for his first camping trip, so I am looking to avoid any temperature extremes. I am hoping for heat because I know the Uinta's much better than I know the Swell, but I'm not afraid to do a little exploring if needed.

Some pretty epic plans in this thread... how'd they all go? I'm almost done with part 1 of my trip report from the 38-mile jaunt through The Maze. Epic? YES.