Memorial Day backpacking ideas

Dr. Nick

My 12 year daughters want to go backpacking in death hollow Memorial Day weekend. I'm worried about the crowds and long hike for them.
Is there somewhere else I can take them that would be similar without the crowds and allows dogs? Any ideas would be great.

Thanks.

Maybe look into The Box trail on Pine Creek? I've not been, but I've read that it's straightforward and very pretty. There's a detailed description on SummitPost. It's a place I've wanted to visit for a while but haven't gotten around to yet. If you do, be sure to come back and share a report!

Maybe look into The Box trail on Pine Creek? I've not been, but I've read that it's straightforward and very pretty. There's a detailed description on SummitPost. It's a place I've wanted to visit for a while but haven't gotten around to yet. If you do, be sure to come back and share a report!

I will research it. Thank you.

Oh, the the Box of Pine Creek is so pretty. It works best as a car shuttle, though, so you'd probably want to set that up unless you plan to just reverse the trail on your way out. It's 9 miles one way, top to bottom (which is the route I'd recommend, but it can be done the other way too of course) from the Upper Box and Lower Box trailheads. It's really nice because it goes from mountain forest to desert canyon, and you have the water all the way. There can be poison oak in the canyon, so keep an eye out for that. Should not be terribly crowded. I think dogs are supposed to be leashed when in the canyon, check with the Escalante Ranger District to be sure.

Some other possibilities in the general area might be The Gulch down the Burr Trail, the Moody canyons, and exploring out around Willow Gulch, Forty Mile, and Broken Bow Arch, which are waaay down HITRR, so the likelihood of seeing a ton of people there is low. I haven't done the Moodys yet but there are threads on here about them.

Oh, the the Box of Pine Creek is so pretty. It works best as a car shuttle, though, so you'd probably want to set that up unless you plan to just reverse the trail on your way out. It's 9 miles one way, top to bottom (which is the route I'd recommend, but it can be done the other way too of course) from the Upper Box and Lower Box trailheads. It's really nice because it goes from mountain forest to desert canyon, and you have the water all the way. There can be poison oak in the canyon, so keep an eye out for that. Should not be terribly crowded. I think dogs are supposed to be leashed when in the canyon, check with the Escalante Ranger District to be sure.

Some other possibilities in the general area might be The Gulch down the Burr Trail, the Moody canyons, and exploring out around Willow Gulch, Forty Mile, and Broken Bow Arch, which are waaay down HITRR, so the likelihood of seeing a ton of people there is low. I haven't done the Moodys yet but there are threads on here about them.

Thank you. I will start looking at other stuff too if I don't do the box at pine creek. This will show my ignorance, but what is HITRR?

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
A Memorial Day Weekend 2015 Backpacking Trip - Southern Utah Trip Planning 0
natylka Memorial Weekend backpacking in Southern Utah Trip Planning 10
regehr memorial day General Discussion 10
Rockskipper Yellowstone visitation down 34% over Memorial Day - maybe price of gas? Any predictions for the summer? General Discussion 17
Janice Family trip to Grand Teton Memorial Day weekend? Trip Planning 5
kwc Something Different - Flight 93 Memorial Everything Else 3
IntrepidXJ Memorial Day Weekend 2020 General Discussion 22
wabenho Memorial Weekend Family Campout Hiking & Camping 2
stevecochranephotography Storm King Mountain Memorial Trail... Glenwood Springs, Colorado Hiking & Camping 6
Nanda Escalante Area - Memorial Day weekend Hiking & Camping 5
Stickerbumper Zion Traverse Memorial Day Weekend - Shuttle Meet Up (Members Only) 0
Scott Chandler Valley of 10,000 Smokes Memorial Weekend Backpacking 9
WasatchWill Memorial Day: Another great trip to Torrey Hiking & Camping 11
IntrepidXJ Maze Memorial Weekend III Hiking & Camping 6
steve Video: Salt Creek Canyon - Memorial Day 2015 Backpacking 2
Bob Aerial Firefighting Air Tanker 11 Memorial General Discussion 0
IntrepidXJ Maze Memorial Weekend II Hiking & Camping 7
LarryBoy Sawtooths over Memorial Day Trip Planning 4
andyjaggy Mountain Trip Over Memorial Day Trip Planning 2
Stephanie Escalante for Memorial Day weekend? Ideas? Trip Planning 9
IntrepidXJ Maze Memorial Weekend Hiking & Camping 11
Stephanie Needing a good Memorial Day weekend trip! Trip Planning 5
markj Death Hollow May 24-27, Memorial Day Weekend! Meet Up (Members Only) 0
Jason Memorial Day Weekend Trip Planning 3
J Pics of my Memorial Weekend, 2009 trip to Death Hollow Utah...... Backpacking 8
blueeyes Havasupai Memorial Day Weekend 2012 Backpacking 15
barl0w Capitol Reef NP - Memorial Day Weekend Hiking & Camping 5
gloo memorial weekend...gulp Trip Planning 27
JMo Memorial Day Suggestions? Trip Planning 13
Tyler Capitol Reef Memorial Day weekend 2010 Hiking & Camping 7
B 3P Backpacking Tent Recommendation and Nemo Aurora feedback Gear 3
TrailScot Capitol Reef NP - 5 Day Backpacking Adventure from Chimney Rock to Burro Wash - October 2023 Backpacking 10
Mikjik86 Backpacking Indian Peaks Wilderness - King Lake - August, 2023 Backpacking 0
J Backpacking in the UK Backpacking 1
2eez4life Suggestions: Uintas Backpacking with some rock climbing routes Trip Planning 0
M Backpacking 50 miles in the Uinta Mountains for 5 days with ~50 pound pack Backpacking 4
forest dweller What do you think are the most essential nutrients while backpacking? General Discussion 17
B 2P Backpacking Tent Recommendation Gear 13
forest dweller Favorite backpacking foods...convenient, easy, delicious, nutritious? General Discussion 20
forest dweller You guys keep a backpacking gear checklist in Microsoft Word you don't mind sharing? General Discussion 13
forest dweller I have tons of backpacking food past it's expired by date... General Discussion 10
maisweh Backpacking Maze - Please Critique Trip Planning 11
DrNed Backpacking Light Memberships Resource Discussions 6
ANelson Backpacking with a 600MM Lens General Discussion 13
E Weeklong+ backpacking recs in Yellowstone NP? Trip Planning 11
mikejones3 New Backpacking / Hiking Weight Calculator App Gear 0
R Backpacking in the Pacific Northwest Trip Planning 7
NorthwestWanderer Backpacking Grand Teton National Park : Fossil Pass,Fox Creek Pass,Indian Lake,Alaska Basin,Hurricane Pass,Ice Floe Lake,& Snowdrift Lake Backpacking 19
Mikjik86 Backpacking The Wind River Range - Wyoming, September 2022 Trip Reports 3
norwegianxplorer 6 days Backpacking Norway in the Fall (Part 2) Backpacking 4