May Maze Adventure!

vegetable

Hey everyone. I'm working on a backpacking/car camping trip into the Canyonlands Maze District for late April/early May. As part of the trip, we're scheduled to spend two nights/three days inside the Maze. We're planning to enter at Chimney Rock and hike into the Harvest Scene on the first day - pretty straightforward. We'd like to spend the entire second day however, exploring upper Horse Canyon. Right now, I'm curious about what lies to the lower, eastern end of the canyon. Referencing my National Geographic Trails map, access continues down Horse Canyon almost all the way to the Green River here. There also appears to be multiple intriguing side canyons to explore on the way. Unfortunately, I've had a really hard time finding any details about what awaits us along this path.

This is where I hope someone here's expertise will help out! Has anyone visited this section of Horse Canyon? What's it like? Was it worth it?

Or do you have a different area of the Maze you'd recommend instead?

Eh, and hopefully that makes sense. Let me know if any clarification or additional details would be useful. I hugely appreciate any help! Thank you!

Hannah

Welcome to backcountrypost, vegetable!

When you say upper Horse, are you talking about here?

[parsehtml]
<iframe src="http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.php?ll=38.255908,-110.016832&t=t4&z=14&symbol=prs" width="800" height="600"></iframe><br><br>
[/parsehtml]Or are you referring to the upper section of South Fork Horse Canyon? Here:
[parsehtml]
<iframe src="http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.php?ll=38.206758,-110.011983&t=t4&z=14&symbol=prs" width="800" height="600"></iframe><br><br>
[/parsehtml]I don't know anything about upper main fork Horse, but it looks bone dry and not very interesting. There appear to be some springs in lower main fork from looking at sat imagery. Personally, I'd be much more compelled to explore the various forks in the south fork and pictograph fork areas. If not there, lower main fork looks a bit more interesting.

Nick, thank you so much for your help! I apologize for not explaining the area I'm referring to more clearly. The piece Horse Canyon I'm wondering about is the area bracketed in red in the screenshot below.

29q1vz7.jpg

With this in mind, do you have any additional advice or insight?

Ahh... I would call that the lower Horse Canyon. I don't personally know anything about it, but I imagine there has to be some beta out there from people who have hiked up it on river trips. If you scan the sat images for that section, it does look somewhat hospitable. Looks like a spring or two down there, at least when the latest images were taken:

http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=38.267538&lon=-109.97459&z=18.8&r=0&src=msa

That being said, I'd be stoked to hike down that canyon, pull out my pack raft at the Green River, then float down to the confluence to get picked up by a jet boat. But for an out and back from Chimney Rock, it doesn't look all that compelling, IMO.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
NateGeesaman The Maze May 2012; Part 2 Backpacking 7
NateGeesaman The Maze May; Part 1 Backpacking 6
AdamE Into the Maze, May 14-18 Backpacking 0
AdamE Into the Maze, May 14-18 Meet Up (Members Only) 3
AdamE Trip to the Maze,mid-May Trip Planning 14
BeardoMcGrath Fiftymile Mountain rim and ruins tour: 13 May 2023 Hiking & Camping 12
BeardoMcGrath Willow/Fortymile Exploration: 10-12 May 2023 Backpacking 9
shredhiker Slough Creek May 2023 Backpacking 11
scatman Lookout Peak - May 27, 2023 Hiking & Camping 13
scatman Parley's Ridge - May 20, 2023 Hiking & Camping 21
scatman Black Mountain Ridge - May 13, 2023 Hiking & Camping 49
SteveR Sheep River Road Ride on May Day Everything Else 2
Upgrayedd SLC to Oregon Coast to Reno to SLC - May 26th - June 4th Trip Planning 10
BeardoMcGrath Oh look yet another Utah conditions thread: mid May 2023 Trip Planning 9
Gretchen Millward Trachyte Creek, April – May 2022 Backpacking 3
TrailScot "I'll take the High Road ..." - A Loop Hike around the Canyons of Needles - May 2022 Trip Reports 14
scatman Dale Peak - May 22, 2022 Hiking & Camping 21
norwegianxplorer Hiking the unique hoodoos landscape of EL TORCAL de Antequera in Spain at sunrise, May 2022 Hiking & Camping 0
bouldermtn May/June trip suggestions Trip Planning 0
C Utah Mountains in Late May Trip Planning 12
Rockskipper You have more impact than you may think General Discussion 2
scatman Grandeur and Church Fork Peaks Loop - May 29, 2021 Hiking & Camping 19
GramaNana Newbie Overnight with REI gear - Farmington, Utah May 2021 Hiking & Camping 12
scatman Black Mountain - May 22, 2021 Hiking & Camping 9
scatman Lewiston Peak - May 15, 2021 Hiking & Camping 7
E Water in the Needles early-May 2021 Trip Planning 3
forest dweller When backpacking, what do you bring a backup of, despite the ultralight backpacking community suggesting you may be crazy? Gear 49
swmalone Camping suggestions for Escalante in May Trip Planning 2
Yvonne Hiking Connector Trail to Northgate Peaks on Zion Opening Day, May 13 Hiking & Camping 8
TrailScot Quite the Adventure, South of Moab, Across the Colorado Plateau, May 2019 - Part 4 Backpacking 17
TrailScot Quite the Adventure, South of Moab, Across the Colorado Plateau, May 2019 - Part 3 Backpacking 8
TrailScot Quite the Adventure - South of Moab, Across the Colorado Plateau, May 2019 - Part 2 Backpacking 14
TrailScot Quite the Adventure - South of Moab, Across the Colorado Plateau, May 2019 - Part 1 Backpacking 10
J Kanab: Two New Trails! April 30-May 1, 2019 Hiking & Camping 2
Ugly Sleeping with Pfieff, Maybird in May, or Summer -Winter Backpacking Winter Sports 7
Mikjik86 Flooded out in Death Hollow, Utah. May - 2019 Backpacking 4
Yvonne Kolob Terrace exploration: from Hop Valley to North Gate Peaks, May 2019 Hiking & Camping 7
Jon Carbaugh Yellowstone, Wildlife and Slough Creek May 23 to 26th Hiking & Camping 20
RyanP Lower Death Hollow next week (late May/early June), miscellaneous questions Trip Planning 16
ramblinman Yellowstone Dayhikes (late May) Trip Planning 1
C First trip to Yellowstone, early May 2019. Thoughts? Trip Planning 15
RyanP 3-day trip ideas (15-20 miles or so) for late May/early June with good water Trip Planning 9
Eugene Backpacking suggestions for May 2019 Trip Planning 18
Nick The San Juan, May 2018 On The Water 19
scatman Lynn Camp Prong Lollipop Loop, Great Smokey Mountains National Park - May 29, 2018 Hiking & Camping 2
McKee80 Allegheny National Forest PA, May 2018 Backpacking 6
Vegan.Hiker White Mountain National Forest (Eisenhower, Pierce, Jackson) - May 2018 Backpacking 15
scatman Storm Mountain - May 19, 2018 Hiking & Camping 10
Brian Skibbe Moab, Arches NP, Canyonlands NP. May 2017 Hiking & Camping 3
AbinadiWitness Return to THE FORMATION, etc. - The Second Time Was, Indeed, the Charm - 18-20 May 2017 Hiking & Camping 5