Maroon Bells 4 pass loop July 9, 2015 Colorado

Nodust

First question is July 9 too early for this hike? I know snow varies from year to year but is this unrealistic.

Second question, most reports show folks hiking clockwise. Is there a reason for this. Easier, more scenic?

I hope the snow allows us to do this. Looks like a great location. Lost Creek Wilderness is plan B if needed. If you have any other locations for me to look at if the Maroon Bell area is a no go let me know.

Thanks in Advance

Not sure on the time frame. I did this hike a few years back and also did it clockwise. Looking back I agree that is was the best way to do it. Reason being we saved the best for last. Spending the last night at Snowmass Lake. The view coming over Trail Rider Pass was spectacular! We had pretty good wildlife too. Black bear, moose, marmots, deer, etc.. which I was pleasantly surprised by. There is one stream crossing at the bottom of Fravret (sp) Basin between Frigid Air Pass and Trail Rider Pass. The trail is busy with day-hikers until you get past Crater Lake.
Here is a view from camp just below West Maroon Pass.Maroon Bells 2012 099.JPGThis is a look down at Snowmass Lake from the pass.
Maroon Bells 2012 191.JPG

And last a look from camp at the lake.
Maroon Bells 2012 204.JPG

Last edited:
Great pics.

I have reservations at one of the campgrounds Silver Bar or Silver Queen can't remember which one. That way we can get up early next day and hit the trail for sunup. The we are thinking camp first night on the trail in Fravert Basin. Night two by Snowmass Lake.

I'll have to check my notes. Where do you intend to start the hike? Maroon Lake? If so you won't be staying in Fravert Basin the first night.....Well I guess you could. That would mean you're going to go over both West Maroon and Frigid Air pass's the first day. Then Trail Rider the second. Then over Buckskin and out day 3. Sound right? That's a big first day. Look at the graph. You'd be camped the the bottom of the graph between Frigid Air and Trail Rider.
maroon bells.jpg

Maroon Bells 2012 056.JPG Or and even better idea. Start the hike late in the day and stay just past Crater Lake the first night rather than " Silver Bar or Silver Queen campground" which is what we did. That will help you acclimate too. Our first night camp in the pic above. Just a few miles in.

Last edited:
I agree staying at Fravert Basin first night would be a big day. 12 miles or so. But if we stop short of West Maroon Pass that would make a 15 mile second day with three passes.

I like your idea of hiking in to just past Crater Lake instead of a campground. I was thinking campground because we would be getting to the area mid afternoon, so had a spot reserved to sleep and get ready for the trail next day. If we could start earlier maybe make it closer to West Maroon Pass.

Plans are to fly into Denver on a Tuesday and head to Breckenridge. Stay in Breck that night. Next day half of our group is just hanging in Breckenridge while we go to Maroon Bells area. We could just leave earlier than planned on Wednesday and start the hike that day. The only thing we will need to do is pick up fuel for the stoves and a few groceries, but I'm hoping that should be easy to find before we even leave Breckenridge. Some of the hikers will need to fly back out of Denver on Sunday so we need to be out of the Maroon Bells area by Saturday night. Your plan would give us three and a half days of hiking which sounds better. The campground reservation was only $25 so no big deal if we don't use it.

After that a few of use have 3 days to kill in Breckenridge. I'm thinking rest on Sunday then maybe some day hikes in the area. Or some kayaking in Breckenridge. I saw they had rentals for the river in town, is that worth doing?

You do know that the Maroon Bells are just out of Aspen, right? You can get everything you need for the hike there too. As I recall we didn't even start our hike until after 5:00pm. Hiked in a couple miles and set-up camp just above Crater Lake. Getting over the first pass is long and gradual. From there to the next pass is relatively short. Then its all down hill for the rest of the day. We stayed just beyond the creek crossing in the basin. Real nice area. The next day is deceiving. As you climb and climb and climb out of the basin you pass the turn off for Geneva Lake and you THINK you're near the pass. But your not. You come to a small lake and the real climb is revealed. Sonofabitch!! But the reward is waiting you at the pass. Have fun. It's a neat area to explore. Just too bad you don't have a little more time.

Last edited:
You do know that the Maroon Bells are just out of Aspen, right? You can get everything you need for the hike there too. As I recall we didn't even start our hike until after 5:00pm. Hiked in a couple miles and set-up camp just above Crater Lake. Getting over the first pass is long and gradual. From there to the next pass is relatively short. Then its all down hill for the rest of the day We stayed just before the creek crossing in the basin. Real nice area. The next day is deceiving. As you climb and climb and climb out of the basin you pass the turn off for Geneva Lake and you THINK you're near the pass. But your not. You come to a small lake and the real climb is revealed. Sonofabitch!! But the reward is waiting you at the pass. Have fun. It's a neat area to explore. Just too bad you don't have a little more time.
Good info thanks. We could definitely start by 5:00PM. I just heard so much about not being too high up when afternoon thunder showers roll in I was wanting to be done hiking by then. But we won't be going that high first day. I think your plan is what I'll go with.

First day stop before West Maroon Pass
Day two camp Fravert Basin
Day three setup camp by Snowmass Lake
Day four hike out and find a Pizza and beer

Just an FYI- Crater Lake is currently closed to camping, so if you plan to go that route, you might want to check if it's allowed or not: http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprd3815064.pdf
Looks like that was over in November 2014. We are going in July so there is a chance it could be back in effect then.
"This Order will be in effect when signed and shall remain in effect until rescinded or until November
15, 2014, whichever event occurs first. "

Looks like that was over in November 2014. We are going in July so there is a chance it could be back in effect then.
"This Order will be in effect when signed and shall remain in effect until rescinded or until November
15, 2014, whichever event occurs first. "

Good catch, for some reason I thought it read that is was effective through November 2015, Nevermind then :)

Good catch, for some reason I thought it read that is was effective through November 2015, Nevermind then :)
But thanks for the link anyway. I'll need to look for such closures during the summer.

I only get to take one trip a year like this, so I do extensive research and planning. Plus it is a good time killer at work........I mean home.

Hi...hope you're still planning this.
I do Four Pass every year; last year not until early August due to snow on the passes. So on Aug 4 ,'14, I last started the walk. On that date Buckskin had been passable without gear for maybe 1-2 weeks. Still there was a terrific wall of snow on the 'other' side of Buckskin, a remnant of the cornice that drifted over thru winter, a winter where that area saw snow totals over 40'; the trail easily went right around it btw. This year we have had more snow and longer into June so definitely keep doing your homework and checking reports.
As for direction, I read about it and as a result I've always done it counter-clockwise. Why: you're going over passes, it's always work. However, passing the people coming clockwise has told me my decision was a good one - the section from the waterfall up to Trailrider - it's several miles of brutal uphill and for a while nowhere to stop if you did decide to bail and camp.
But the best reason...day 1, top of Buckskin...the view of Snowmass Mtn is ridiculous. Best wishes.

Make sure you allow yourself enough time for the park and bus ride to the trail head.
Cars are not allowed at the trail head. You have to park at Aspen Highlands ski area and take a bus to trail head.
We were there last year but got rained out!:cry: Flash floods and lighting all over the place

Opi that's not true. If you arrive before 8:00am or after 5:00pm you can drive your own vehicle to the TH. We did and were told we could do so, if following the rules I listed above. No bus shuttle needed.

That's what we were told last year too and it was after 5 and we drove up to where they have park rangers stopping all cars and gated off. Had to turn around and park at the ramp at the ski resort then take shuttle. That was around last week in July. Just saying

The lot must still have been full. They let us drive up early. I wanna say around 4:00pm.